Prayers out to those at Fort Hood

DammitJanet

Mass shooting at Ft Hood. At least 3 shooters who appear to be soldiers.

Seems like at least 10 to 12 dead and up to 30 or more injured. Base is obviously locked down.

This is horrible.

Pray for them.

klmno

I just read a headline on it- I didn't realize they think soldiers did it. I feel for all the families, regardless.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
There's been a steady increase of "fragging" incidents since the Viet Nam era. Unfortunately, since so many seem to view the military as a sort of gov't funded Residential Treatment Center (RTC), and the military repeatedly cuts back on psychological testing and requirements, more and more soldiers with the potential for this sort of violence are coming into service.

Add in the extended tours, being deployed to combat zones where the Geneva Convention has long fallen by the wayside, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

In some ways we laid the groundwork for this in the nineties and we are now reaping the results.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Prayers going out.

I was out running errands all afternoon and didn't know anything about it until Step texted me.

How tragic.

donna723

The news just said that the one who did it is a Major! He's dead now and they are looking for two more. How awful! They said the victims were soldiers getting ready to go to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Prayers going up.

12 killed and 31 wounded. Base is on lock down. I'm willing to bet every military base in the country is also on lock down or high security alert.

Shooting was by a major. So far......it is not believed to be related to PTSD or the like. Reports are leaking that the shooting was done execution style........obviously well planned and carried out with precision.

The major was muslim. The impression I got was that he converted a while back. At the moment speculation is looking at this as a very possible terrorist conspiracy.

But we won't really know much until the base is no longer on lock down and officials start talking. That may be a while. husband is watching films with choppers in the air over the base. Wonder if they have all the shooters or they're still hunting some of them. husband says they finally admitted they're still hunting fellow shooters.

Sad all the way around. The one place our military familes should feel safe is on base.

My heart goes out to the families at Fort Hood. While I thank heaven above my brother in law is retired and he and my sis no longer live on base.

KTMom91

I haven't had the TV on since I got home from school...just turned on CNN. Prayers going up for the families and soldiers on base.

klmno

I just heard the part about him being an officer- a doctor (psychiatrist no less)- what a disappointment and shame. I hope others weren't involved but I swear, we live in a different world than when I was young and in the military.

I can see him flipping out over his own deployment ina way- probably the last thing he expected as a psychiatrist and he's certainly heard the worst tales about the war zone. But WHY did he have to hurt others- that is what I never understand.

Last edited:

Abbey

Spork Queen
I haven't watched the news, and cell is cut off so don't know about my nephew. But it brings me back to being 12 and enduring a flood that killed nearly 300 people in my small town. The young pastor was amazing.
But a couple of months into repairing he just simply left. He went to Alaska to get away from the pain he had heard. He knew he was going to explode.

Heard from him once...that's all. Put someone in a crisis situation and stuff happens. I'm so sorry for the families and the injured/killed.

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Wow, hadn't heard the particulars on the shooter who was killed. That's just mind boggling.

Senseless and tragic.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nope. Not dead. Although he will wish he were by the time this is all said and done.

I wonder......this will be handled by the military. I wonder just how much of his trial ect we'll get privy to.

His cousin says he thinks it's because he didn't want to go over to Iraq. Yet those who worked with him say he was against the war......and was siding with the opposing side during his time at Fort Hood.....to the point where they reported it.

I havee a feeling this one may be drawn out while they try to grasp the more accurate picture. But one's I saw talking say he doesn't fit the profile of someone who just blew up.....this was planned out. :(

All those poor families. Including the family of the shooter.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It appears that the shooter had an Arabic name. There is some confusion as to whether he is actually Muslim, or just has a Muslim sounding name.

However, this individual was linked months ago to blog postings that compared suicide bombers to soldiers who threw themselves on grenades to save their comrades.

I'm surprised OPSEC didn't remove him from duty at that time.

What concerns me in addition is that there is going to be a huge backwash of hatred aimed at followers of Islam who serve well and honorably in our armed forces.

This was not someone who "snapped". This appears to be something that was thought out and planned.

klmno

They reported on cnn that his relatives said he had always been muslim and not recently converted. Of course being muslim doesn't mean they are apt to do something like this. And they said that he had done the web thing that was suspicious , then made statements to some people at Fort hood about suicide bombers and muslims fighting back. Also, apparently he had been trying to get out of the military and had "poor" evaluations at his last station which was at Walter reed.

I wonder, too, why they didn't step in at these early signs of becoming an extremist and fanatical. Not that all muslims do that, but clearly he did based on what is starting to come out.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
yeah. I read that he'd actually been required to attend counselling early on due to problems with "patient interaction".

There is no question there were problems with this guy's career. No way does it take a member of the medical corps who is doing a good job 14 years to be promoted to Major. I'm very surprised he wasn't seperated years ago.

My guess is that we won't hear all that much about the investigation; especially as it is more and more starting to look like a security foulup was involved.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
My base didn't go on high alert at all (husband works here too, in a different area).

I have a friend who lives near there - apparently some of her other friends have spouses stationed there. I've heard nothing from her but am concerned. I'll get with her when it gets a bit later.

We were watching on CNN at work before we left. I was so rattled I forgot to pick up Jett from mother in law's. I did remember him - about 15 minutes late.

My prayers are still going out to the families. ALL of them stationed there, most of all the wounded and killed. And also for the psychiatrist - that he gets the help he needs.