Prayers out to those at Fort Hood

My niece, who is a Army psychiatrist, was stationed at Walter Reed the same time that this fellow was. I haven't had the heart to call her yet. She was deployed to Iraq last spring , much to her dismay, and she was separated from her 3 year old daughter for 8 months. Thank God, she is safely back home now, at Fort Knox.

Her deployment was a total shock and seemingly came out of the blue. I'm guessing that it was a similar situation for this guy - but of course, that's no excuse. My niece was devastated, though, because she had been led to believe that she would not have to go. There is a real push to get psychiatric care right out on the front line.

I agree with GN about the guy's late promotion to Major. He's my niece's age and she was promoted quite a few years ago. It sounds like their movement through medical school and work at Walter Reed was exactly around the same time. It's such a tragedy for everyone. You can't help but wonder if it could not have been prevented at some point.

Valerie

Nancy

This is just tragic on so many levels.

How does a Psychiatrist do this, what does this say about who is treating those in need of serious mental health treatment? How does such an individual not raise concerns as he is going through medication school? So many questions.

Nancy