Premonitions - how much do you believe?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I've had this premonition for the last 3 or 4 weeks; it's somewhat haunting & I'm being told that I'm being too emotional or that it's the prednisone talking.

While I don't want to be blown off in this nature I don't want to continue to have this thought disturb me.

Do you believe in your premonitions? Is it self fulfilling or do some of your premonitions come true? Is there a science behind it? What can you tell me?

Just curious.

tiredmommy

Linda,
I don't believe in premonitions per se, but I do believe it's possible to be so very highly attuned to one's surroundings that you can tell when something is going to happen. I also believe most of us are pulled in so many directions at once that being this tuned in is impossible. In your case, with your additional time to reflect, I think it might be possible that you could be highly tuned in to your environment right now.

everywoman

I don't call them premonitions---I call them gut feelings---cause that's where I feel them. I get a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach---and I know something is going to happen that will be life altering...I usually try to pay attention. I know I can't do anything to stop whatever it is, but at least I am prepared for change.

F

flutterbee

I tend to be a worrier, so I try hard to differentiate between things. Sometimes, I'll get a strong, out-of-nowhere gut feeling about something and I generally trust it. Other times, I think the possibilities of what may or may not happen can cause so much buried worry that they can feel like a premonition.

But, when it's that out of nowhere feeling, I do go with it.

I'll give you an example: I was in the car driving and out of nowhere had this overwhelming sense of dread and the image of a person...nothing in particular about this person, just that nothing good was going to come of things. I really didn't know anything at all about this person. It was so intense, I literally felt a knot in my stomach. Everything that has since developed - years later - has only reinforced that initial feeling.

trinityroyal

Me too. Whether you call it a premonition, gut feeling, intuition or whatever...when you have a strong instinctive feeling about something, that's a very good indicator.

As TM says, sometimes it's just a matter of being closely in tune with your environment.

Whatever the reason for it, if you feel that strongly and it's coming back, I'd listen to it.

Trinity

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've had many primonitions over the years. Every one has come true.

Like Star, yes I believe. (and I'm glad it doesn't happen often)

Even if I didn't believe, I'd have to say I'd listen to something that was happening repeatedly. Sounds like someone doesn't want you to ignore the message.

(((hugs)))

bzymomto4

I know I shouldn't believe in premonition by mental health standards, but I do . When I was pregnant with my 4th baby I was certain my preg was going to end with a serious hemmorage and a hysterectomy. To my surprise I was discharged 24 hours after my delivery apparently healthy. 11 days later I was readmitted to the hospital with retained products of conceptionand an infection. I walked from my room to the or with my husband and on the way I told him not feel bad about concenting to the hyst if they asked him, I knew how guilty people can feel when in that situation. He shrugged it off and laughed at me. That night I almost died from hemmorage and was saved with a hysterectomy that even the OB thought I was too far gone for. Weather there is science behind it or not, I always trust my gut.

I think premonitions are real, but I don't think they are "paranormal". I think it is like TM said, it is possible to become aware of things that we do not usually notice. The subconscious mind sometimes can detect things that the conscious mind can't. All living things will try to avoid danger and stay alive, how do they "know" to flee danger? Even microbes will swim away from a predator. There are many things about the universe we don't understand, and I believe this is one of them. Doesn't mean it is supernatural, just unknown.

That said, there are things that happen that are plain eerie. One that I witnessed was when I was six and my brother was four. My parents would take us once or twice a month to visit an elderly aunt of my father. One day my brother said out of the blue, "That lady we go see is dead now, isn't she?" My Dad got a call that evening. His aunt had passed away that afternoon. Near as they could figure the time of death was almost exactly the moment my brother spoke up.

susiestar

Roll With It
I knew to the moment when my grandfather (maternal) died. He was in a different state. Same with both grandmas.

husband has dreams. Once in a while they just have a certain "feel" and they ALWAYS come true.

I KNOW when one of my kids is sick. Even when I am not anywhere near them. Serious sick, not just a cold.

I have a niece who has predicted sex and hair and eye color of 107 out of 110 babies so far. She is 16. Some she has not know the family at all. Her mom's ob/gyn started joking about it when mom was pg with her sister. HAd her tell these things about ladies in the waiting room, and wrote it down. Her only misses were on 2 sets of twins.

I fully believe, but not in every premonition by every person who tells me one.

Susie

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Ladies, most of the time I am a very logical person; parenting decisions & such I seem to know instinctively. It's kind of a no brainer. Same with other decisions, situations thrown my way.

Premonitions are different & have never been my forte'. It's the best way I can describe this & it's such a dark, heavy feeling.

I think for the time being I'll wait & blame it on the prednisone. I'm not discounting premonitions - I just don't like this for myself.

meowbunny

I think most who have premonitions have had them most of their life. I also believe they are genetic. My father was precognitive and totally did not believe in them, yet would make statements that something was going to happen or had happened and was correct about 98% of them. My grandmother was considered a "witchy woman" and treated with respect by her neighbors. I've known things that had no logical sense such as the exact moment my grandmother died, when my father was injured even though he halfway around the world when it happened, telling kids in school JFK had been assassinated the day before it happened at the time it would happen the following day. The "knowing" as my grandmother called it wasn't always dramatic. Sometimes it was as simple as knowing that I shouldn't go up a certain street and hearing there was a minor accident there later that day. So, yes, I believe in premonitions and not just being "in tune" with your surroundings. I have no control of when they happen and I'll have a migraine to the extreme degree after having one.

I also believe that some can become precognitive after a brain injury or something to change the basic brain waves. Let's face it, there is still lot unknown about the mind.

TerryJ2

Linda,

I've had lots of premonitions (or gut feelings) all my life, and when I was on prednisone, it had no effect, but caffeine and lack of sleep will really, really send up my antennae, so I'm guessing it's in the same ballpark for you. It's like your nerves are truly antennae and they're sprouting all over the place, picking up signals.

One of the best articles I read on this was about 20 yrs ago in Reason Magazine ... it posited that most people who have a lot of premonitions grew up in dysfunctional households, primarily alcoholic, and learned to be hyper aware of others' emotional states, so that they could steer clear of them when the time came. These "skills" (rather than unexplainable telepathic vibes) are generally there for a lifetime, and will make themselves known in the workplace, grocery store, etc.

Since you have a difficult child, I'm guessing that if your antenna were not fully grown by the time you had your kids, they are now! And the prednisone is exaggerating the whole thing.

If it's a very specific thought and it involves another individual, I would not tell that person, except to say that you are concerned and care about them, because you don't want to put the thought into his or her head and end up with-a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Also, I've found that many of my writer and artist friends, as well as musical friends, are much more in tune with-their surroundings, other people's emotions, and even low- and high-pressure systems than others. So some of it is genetic. If we're lucky, we learn to use it to our advantage.

So sorry you're so uncomfortable right now.

muttmeister

Well, since I've never had what I consider a paranormal premonition, I really don't believe in them which I suppose is a little narrow minded of me but then maybe that's why I don't have them in the first place. :wink:
I have noticed that I do get certain "feelings" at times and it is easy, if they come true to say, "Oh, yeah, see, I had a premonition that was going to happen!" but if they don't come true it is pretty easy to forget you ever had the idea in the first place.
I think we are all tuned into our environment on a higher level than we acknowledge so when we get a feeling about something, very often it is based on subtle clues that we may not recognizae but there may be a solid reason for it. For instance, I remember going for an interview for a teaching job and I had a "feeling" that something was not quite right but I couldn't put my finger on it and everything seemed wonderful so I took the job. It was one of the worst years I've ever spent. I don't think it was something paranormal but I do think I was picking up on some kind of bad vibes between some of the faculty that didn't become apparent until later. The same thing holds true with people I've had bad feelings about and even a couple of times thinking something bad was going to happen to somebody but even then I think there were signs ahead of time.
So maybe I do believe on some level; I just don't think they're bolts from the blue. I think they're based on observations and thoughts that we do have even though we may not recognize them.
:future:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have always had them. But I chose to ignore them most of my life. It's only been in recent years that I've allowed myself to be more attuned to them. Before that I would deny deny deny and ignore ignore ignore.

on the other hand, with what you've said, I'd say it could very well be the prednisone.

BUT, on the other hand, I also believe that if you give a thought enough attention, thought and nurturing, it could very well become truth, Know what I mean??

If you are uncomfortable, which I'm sorry for, you can tune it out and choose not to give it any of your attention.

I had one last night and within minutes...there it was! I have them all the time and sometimes I go with it, others I tune it out and ignore.

F

flutterbee

Linda -

I think, too, when you're ill and just feeling plain lousy for a long time it can be easy to get those 'negative feelings'.

Over the summer when I was just getting worse instead of better I just *knew* I was going to have another heart attack. I was convinced and was making plans for the kids - where they would go, etc. I went back in the hospital in July and the heart cath showed everything functioning as it should. So well, in fact, they actually removed one of my heart medications. I was having some other issues so being in the hospital was good, but it was all manageable.

I think we deal with daily life and push aside those worries and fears our illnesses bring. However, they are still there and can manifest themselves into feelings of dread, etc.

I'm not saying that what you're feeling is real or imagined. I'm just suggesting that you take the time to see if you can figure out where it might be coming from.