Price of deisel fuel?

klmno

Does anyone know if how the cost of deisel fuel compares to regular unleaded? Is it really over four times as much?

slsh

member since 1999
You're talking like for a truck/vehicle, right?

Looks like it's $3.00/gal average in the US, more in some areas, less in others. http://www.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/wohdp/diesel.asp

Not sure what the big deal with- having diesel is, 'cuz it looks like mileage is roughly the same (18 mph roughly on the couple of new diesel trucks I looked at).

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/info_glance/petroleum.html

Actually, that second link has a graph of gas prices and diesel prices - looks pretty darn comparable to me.

klmno

Mostly interstate driving- probably 75% anyway- and this guy is trying to say it would cost him over 4 times the amount in gas that it costs me in my car. Yes, he would have furniture in a truck but if it was going to cost that much more, I wouldn't have bought a deisel. What would be the advantage?

slsh

member since 1999
Well, it looks like 18-wheeler trucks get on average 4.5 to 6.5 mpg (diesel) - less mpg the heavier the load. So even if gas and diesel cost the same per gallon, he's not that far off, assuming we're talking he drives a big truck. I read one site that said in really hilly/mountainous terrain, those big trucks can get a whopping 2 mpg.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I drive a diesel truck. 3/4 ton dodge ram, with the old cummins engine in it.

I can pull my horse trailer (a 1990 steel model - not a new aluminum one) with 4 horses and tack, truck/trailer/cargo somewhere in the neighbrhood of 18000 pounds, and get 16-20mpg on the interstate.

With no load, I can pull almost 27mpg out of it on the interstate.

What kills diesels is accelerating. And how you drive is directly proportionate to the fuel economy you'll get. husband rarely gets over 12mpg when he drives my truck. easy child 1 and I can drive it and get almost 27mpg.

klmno

This guy has a pick-up. He's starting to negotiate some. Am I intrepeting it correctly then that he might get about half the mileage I do but not less than 1/4th?

klmno

Maybe I should pay the gas station for a full tank then see what it is when we get there and add more if he needs it to get home.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I would either offer to pay him by the mile (you can check online for the going rate per mile), or offer to buy the fuel and give him a boot to cover use of the truck, his time, etc, which would depend on how far you're talking about going.

Last edited:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Diesels can also get a pretty wide range of fuel economy, too. So depending on what he's driving, and what you're driving, its possible you're getting 4 times the fuel mileage he is. But you'd have to be driving a hybrid, and he'd have to be driving like a Hummer....

You should be able to check fuel mileage on the net. But unless he's driving something that's been turned up or chipped out the wazoo, or is ancient, he should be able to pull at least 12mpg out of almost any diesel pickup. At the very least.

klmno

Thanks- that's what I was estimating. This is a last minute thing but he was dependable and helpful in something today and yesterday so I thought it was worth a shot. We'll see how things go tomorrow but this gives me some knowledge about whether or not he's going to be reasonable. Thanks again!