"Private" callers

klmno

Ok, when someone blocks their number from showing up on caller ID it shows as "Private" on my phone records. (I can go online and see every number called into and from my phone.) I have noticed that for the past 5 months a "Private" caller has called around the 23rd of each month right around lunchtime. Would this be a telemarketer? They aren't calling any other time or day of month- just once a month.

Mattsmom277

OMG!! I hate the private caller thing. I get it DAILY. Sometimes several times. NEVER a message. WTH?

I am considering getting the call screening service due to the absurd amount of private callers and 1-866 numbers that are obvious telemarketers. I don't answer them, then they never give up and keep calling, and calling, and calling.

With call screening, the caller gets a recording saying calls to my number are screened. They MUST record their voice explaining who it is calling. You can override this for numbers you know, thus not driving schools, work, friends, family absolutely crazy. But then it forces the person to do this. If they don't, they don't even make it to my answering machine. I can pick up the phone WHILE they are recording who they are to identify themselves, and the caller isn't aware if I'm listening or not. If I want to answer, I can, or I can let the machine take it.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Private/Unknown caller calls nearly always originate from sites where multiple phone lines run though a single 'switch' (what we used to call PBXs).

The switch places the actual call, but because of how the routing works, they cannot pass on the number of the actual line that placed the call.

Unfortunately, a lot of these calls DO originate with credit card agencies or other agencies that deal with collections. Given that you indicated you are behind on some credit card payments, it is quite possible that you are getting calls as a result of that.

mstang67chic

Going Green
It could be or it could also be someone who has an unlisted number. Not sure why they would call on a schedule like that but I suppose it's possible. It could also be someone calling about a bill that's due. We occasionally get calls even BEFORE a payment is due which just drives husband insane.

klmno

Well, I thought about that but I wasn't behind on any payments 5 mos aago- I was still able to make payments on everything as normal until 2-3 mos ago. And, the people calling from anything related to debts now have the number showing but the name lists "Unknown" so it can't be the same. Plus, they are calling a lot more often than once a month. People calling soliciting money for organizations (charities) seem to call a lot within a week or so, then stop.

KTMom91

We have the phone set up so we won't accept private callers, they have to unblock before the call goes through. Check with your carrier and see if that's an option for you.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I have 2 friends who block their number when calling. I never answer the phone when I see that. They get all PO'd that I don't answer. Well...DUH. Why don't you list your number? I don't answer unknown calls.

Abbey

Lothlorien

I don't do this on purpose, but lately, my number is showing up as private and I don't know why. I have cable and I've gone into my acct and everything is ticked the way it should be, but it's still coming up as private.

As for the once a month private call....could it be an update on your cable or satellite? Ours updates and I can see it on my incoming calls, but my phone doesn't ring. It's usually at night.

donna723

That's why I pay for Caller ID! I don't answer anything that shows as "Private" or "Unknown". Too bad for them! It's usually a telemarketer or something similar. And if it shows the number and even if it shows the name and I don't know who that is, I don't answer! But I will run the number through "whitepages.com" to see who it is, especially if it's local. Usually it's just someone with a wrong number. But for a while there, I was getting telemarketer calls that somehow would show as coming from a local number on the Caller ID. Our town is really tiny and no way were those from anyone here. I figure it's MY phone and I pay for it and I get to decide who I will talk to or NOT talk to!

And it doesn't ALWAYS show as Private or Unknown if it's coming from a place with multiple lines. Where I work the main phone number ends in "61". But we have many different incoming and outgoing trunk lines that are a variation of this and it will show on the caller ID as '61' or '62' or '63' or whatever trunk line the call is on.

klmno

Good morning! It could be some sort of update from the phone company- I never thought about that. I had been screening calls and not answering from anyone I didn't know- until it turned out to be about the job in HI and I almost missed my chance with them. LOL!

donna723

"I figure if it's important enough they'll leave a message."

Abbey, I agree! If someone really needs to get ahold of me, they will leave a message! If they hang up when the machine picks up, then it wasn't all that important. And a lot of automated telemarketer calls or recorded calls will hang up if a machine picks up instead of a live person. And anyone who knows me would know not to call me in the middle of a work day and expect me to be here! I decided a long time ago that I would only talk to the ones that I wanted to talk to and too bad about the rest of them!

DazedandConfused

I figure if it's important enough they'll leave a message.

Abbey

This is also my telephone philosophy. I don't answer "private" calls and my phone informs callers that they must unblock to get through. I'm sure there is ONE legitimate reason for blocking one's number, but I have yet to think of it. Generally, "private" means they are sneaky or up to no good.

susiestar

Roll With It
Not sure if it applies to your situation, but all of our docs/medical people use a blocked or private number. They don't want a doctor to call from a cell phone or home phone and then be constantly called by a patient.