Problems Taking Medicine

MaureeninNJ

Hi everyone, its been a while since I've posted. My 6 yo difficult child is refusing to take his medicine. He is on 15 mg of Adderall XR. Since he wouldn't swallow the capsule we had been emptying it into a small spoonful of sugar free jello pudding or cinnamon applesauce (which his dr approved). But a few weeks ago he started giving us trouble and has gotten progressively worse. He has convinced himself that he tries to swallow the capsule he will choke to death (not sure where he got that idea but nonetheless that's what he thinks) and he says that taking it the other way is "yucky". Mainly because I think he keeps it in his mouth too long before swallowing it. I really don't know what else to do. Without medication he is an absolute bear and can't concentrate on anything. Anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any help. Thanks so much!! Hugs and kisses to all.

smallworld

Maureen, do you think he would agree to his medicine dumped into a spoonful of his favorite ice cream? That's how we give my daughter her Prozac. And she has terrible sensory issues around food. It works for us.

MaureeninNJ

Thanks for the suggestion. I can definitely try that although I have pretty much offered everything under the sun and he has refused it. I was trying to stay away from ice cream especially since he has to take it so early in the morning but I am getting desperate. I'll let you know if the ice cream works.

smallworld

We use such a small amount of ice cream in a tiny Dixie water cup that I don't think it's harmful, even on a daily basis.

Good luck -- let us know how it goes.

susiestar

Roll With It
My kids will take almost anything in chocolate syrup. A teaspoon or less, put the sprinkles (or crushed up tablets if this comes up with fever medications at some time) on the syrup, stir with-a toothpick and have them lick the spoon clean. You may want to offer him a tiny dab more after, as a reward.

on the other hand, have you worked at all with the mini m&m's for swallowing? used gentlyover time this method works for many of us. My youngest learned to swallow pills by age 2. He is allergic to artificial sweeteners AND he has asthma. Most medications are sweetened with artif sweetener. We did the choc syrup very successfully for quite a while, but also did the other. I was afraid if he got sick he might not be able to take fever medications, or something else if he couldn't swallow.

I suggest jelly, choc syrup, peanut butter, or whatever you can get to work. Is it possible to get a jelly he is not familiar with, like raspberry or blackberry? The one with the little seeds? He can get the grit and the taste, or just swallow it and have something nice to taste after? Tell him he can have his choice of 1 of 2 or 3 things to mix it in?

It occurs to me that you won't get the yucky medicine taste gone no matter how much you mix with the medications. Instead, let him have 1/2 to 1 tsp choc syrup or jelly with the medication, and a big spoonful after. Or a tiny ice cream cone, like one of the bluebell mini sandwiches or cones? I see them sometimes here. Then as you go you either cut the treat down to a second spoonful, or sub gradually more healthy things.

The point is to reward what you want and let the worry about sugar inthe morning go for the short term. Now with our kids the short term may be longer than we want it to be, and we don't take the reward away, we just cut it down or very gradually change it to something healthier. At some point the mini m&m's will work to help him learn to swallow.

If he is truly afraid, then you are not going to be able to talk him out of the choke-to-deathfear. You might be able to work with it by starting with a mini m&m frozen and cut in half. Show him how quickly a frozen mini m&m melts in his hand. And how small it is. Then try, when he is calm, to get him to swallow it. But be gentle.

Good luck,

Susie

Sharon1974

I used to dump the Adderall-XR beads right onto a spoon and have JK swallow them mixed with nothing. Then he would get to eat a small treat that he picked out before he took the medications. Then we were not limited to liquidy type foods. Eventually he decided to try to swallow the capsule so he wouldn't have to taste the stuff inside. Now I can't get him to chew a chewable antibiotic - he just swallows it. He would much rather just skip the taste thing all together.

GOOD LUCK - I remember how hard it was to get him to swallow a pill. Nothing you can do to make him do, just wait patiently until he is ready.

MaureeninNJ

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I tried the ice cream for the last two days and he has taken it without too much difficulty however he is still keeping it in his mouth way to long instead of swallowing it quickly. It's almost as if he is looking for the medicine?? I have also tried to get him to practice swallowing a pill with the mini M&M's so he could see that he won't choke but he refuses to try it. I guess he will just have to grow out of it. I can't use jelly or peanut butter because he doesn't eat those things - never has. I will definitely keep the chocolate syrup idea as a backup though. Thanks again - hopefully the ice cream will work for a while!

susiestar

Roll With It
I would be VERY surprised if the m&m thing worked now. The fear is lodged in his head and so at the forefront that having it work now seems illogical. But keep it in mind for the future.

So what if he is holding it in his mouth too long? Is this your problem or his? If he looks for the medication he will find it. He knows that is why he is getting the ice cream. If he gets a yucky taste he will have to live with it. You won't, LOL!!

A big part of raising our kids is figuring out what is our problem and what is or should be their problem. It is never easy, is it?

Susie

nvts

Low-fat chocolate pudding! They get the calcium and you buy it in the individual servings. He takes one small bite, a slightly bigger bite with the pill and then gets to finish the pudding cup. Yogurt is good for it too!

That's what kept us "semi-sane"! :smile:
Beth

tiredmommy

Maureen,
You'll want to mention this choking fear to your psychiatrist at your next visit. He may be starting to show some signs of anxiety.

3sacharm

I had the same same problem with my now 8 year old (who by the way now takes two pills at the same time). I used crushed ice pieces that were a little larger than the pills he was taking. It worked because he knew that the ice would melt if it got stuck. once he saw he could swallow the crushed ice pieces (without them getting stuck) the fear was gone and he was willing to try the pills. good luck.

SRL

I had good luck with mint chocolate chip ice cream--both are strong flavors. Ditto with crushing the medication (check with pharmacist and placing it between two Oreo halves that both have frosting on them and putting it back together. Sort of a homemade double stuff.

I've also heard Cool Whip being used.

My 11 year old has sensory issues and still doesn't swallow pills. One of these days when we have a clear time without stressors I'm going to start with sprinkles then graduate to mini m&M's.