processing disorders

Ktllc

Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) just left and he is 100% sure V has auditory processing issues. So that is added to the other processing issues he has: visual-spatial and sensory.
Now he is going to look into audiologist who would diagnosis him right away. He agrees that V needs help RIGHT AWAY. Finally someone who understand our desperate need for help.
He said that no matter what, he will work with V 2x a week and find compensatory strategies. He mentioned visual clues, body position, lip reading, etc...
He was shoked that the school has that "wait and see" approach. He thought that it was just plain cruel. V will not succeed in school without proper help NOW.
He was not familiar with audio trainers, but said he will look into it.
Warrrior moms: any good therapies and strategies I should mention our Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)??
I don't know if our Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is the best expert in auditory processing, but he is the only person in the private sector. And he is more than willing to help.
Also another question: Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) vs. Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). I still can't quite understand it.

soapbox

Also another question: Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) vs. Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). I still can't quite understand it.
Technically, Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) is one of the APDs.
Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) is the more widely recognized Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). It involves the brain's ability to "process" spoken language. Unless it is very mild, it tends to be very obvious, because it affects speech as well... kids generally learn to speak based on what they hear.
But there are other APDs as well. I haven't gone back into my documentation recently, I think there are 3 or 4 others, one of which is "auditory figure ground" - which is a problem filtering out background noise so as to "hear" the important sounds, such as a teacher's voice in a noisy classroom. (ALL classrooms are noisy.) So... a child can have an Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) and NOT have any obvious language problems... but it is still an auditory processing disorder.

If they haven't heard of "auditory trainers", I hadn't heard of them either except on this board. There are other terms, the one I'm more familiar with is "personal fm system", which provides a mic to the teacher and a receiver to the child's ear or child's hearing aid. For things like auditory figure ground, it is absolutely essential. I know it is used for most of the APDs, probably because any reduction in clarity makes listening difficult at the best of times.

Hope that helps...

T

TeDo

Ktllc, I am so very happy to hear V is FINALLY getting the help he needs. I know the trip isn't over yet but at least you're on the right road. Isn't it wonderful when we (the ones who know our children best) are listened to and believed and then validated. Make sure to bring THAT Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) to the next IEP meeting. HE can be a wonderful advocate for V to get some of the help he needs.

The school wants to "wait and see". Because I'm too lazy to go back and find other threads where you've talked about it, I'm just doing to ask you to refresh my memory. Did you put a request in writing for the school district to do evaluations for special education services? If you did, they CAN'T opt to wait and see. They are on a FEDERAL timeline to get ALL the evaluations you requested done.

Ktllc

Tedo, I don't mind refreshing your memory!
I am after the SD big time. They only reason they are moving forward is because of my e-mails, letters and phone calls. But they are giving a bunch of bs "does not affect his education" "not what our testings show" "not delayed enough" blablabla... I am geting ready for May when V's 2nd school evaluation is scheduled. They will also do a speech screening in 2 weeks (could only get a screening for now...). I am VERY curious to see what they come up with... probably another "did not see anything" to which I will reply "duh! you only did a screening not an actual evaluation, see the private Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)'s report?".
But I also can see their next argument: Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) cannot diagnosis Auditory Processing Disorders (APD)... audiologist will not diagnosis until at least 6 years old... let's wait and see.
V will turn 5 in Spring. After the fight, if school is real pain and does not cooperate, I might consider holding V back for 1 year. Although it is not my first opton... V wants to learn, he just needs the right tools.

TerryJ2

He was shoked that the school has that "wait and see" approach. He thought that it was just plain cruel. V will not succeed in school without proper help NOW.

I agree. Wish I could help. Sending hugs.

buddy

You are gathering your duckies!!!!

I can tell you this much, since Q has started using an auditory trainer he is getting school work done... for all their complaints the fact is he is getting work DONE! following directions, re-direction, cues, etc.... not a perfect child but there is something going on!

IN our district I just told them (because assistive technology is a mandate for kids on IEP's!) He has a language processing disorder, so lets do this now! There is nothing to lose... (now if he hates things in his ears you may have to push for a sound field system)....

I took Q in last week to get his own now... school still wants him to use their's but we are going to different types of therapies, in large groups and community settings so he is getting his own for the therapists and Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) workers to wear.

As far as therapies, yes there are therapies to work on all types of processing to help train the brain to select out significant sounds etc. I am sure this guy you are working with is going to have some ideas, he seems to know what the heck he is doing! so glad you have someone on your side here... can he come to school with you for the IEP?

Last edited:

Ktllc

To be honest, I had not thought about taking Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) with me for the IEP meeting. It woould be great if he was available. I'll have to ask him. And it gives us 3 months of therapy. By then he will know V pretty well.
Next week, we have the follow up visit from surgery. Hopefully his hearing will test ok so it would be out of the equation.
On another note, I'm also looking into fidgets and sitting balls for V. He keeps on rolling on the floor, puts his fingers in his mouth, twists his cloth during speech therapy. Therapist does not get offended but if V does that then it is even harder for him to hear. So I need to finf quite fidgets that give him proprioceptive inputs! I'll search the house tomorrow to stay on the cheap side :)
Isn't it wonderful to have a plan? LOL

T

TeDo

Ktllc, Why do you have to wait until May for an evaluation? Were your requests specific about what areas you wanted thoroughly EVALUATED? Are they "refusing" to evaluate him? If they are, they need to put the refusal in writing WITH specific reasons as to why. Your school sounds like ours...if it's not SPELLED out AND in WRITING, it wasn't requested. If you're not specific, they will do the bare minimum. Don't hold him back because of the school. If he's ready to go, send him. THEY have to accommodate HIM, not the other way around. Do EVERYTHING in writing and make them put all their replies in writing. That makes it official and there are FEDERAL penalties if they don't do what they are supposed to do. Don't let them off the hook. You apparently aren't going to be able to "play nice" with them and still get V what he needs. THEY don't play nice....you need to make them play LEGAL.

Ktllc

I chose to do it in May. I want to have all the private evaluation and reports in place. I also wanted the hearing problem out of the way or confirmed. We did the surgery, now it is either way: hearing loss or not. His adenoids were growing/pushing into his ears, so I'm glad we decided to cut.
I can't count on the school to really investigate V's issues. I needed all that time to do my own investigation and gather proof of the issues. I also want to know what strategies work and which ones don't. Between all of my findings and the professional reports, I think V's case is getting stronger every month.
In the mean time, he is getting/starting to get the help he needs through the private sector. So his therapeutic needs are met.
And despite their unwillingness, the SD is moving forward.
I know I can't play nice, but I have to be careful: Sweet Pea might need to go through Special Education preschool. That means I might be talking to the same lady in 18 months!! At least, next time I will have Early Intervention to back me up.

T

TeDo

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I am soooooo proud of you for taking this particular tact. More ammunition for YOU. THAT is what will win for V....and for Sweet Pea. You have a great plan (now that I know what I'm talking about. LOL) and you are definitely thinking like a warrior mom. Good for you!!!