products to keep your front loader clean and fresh

ctmom05

I've heard that fromt loader washing machines can acquire a musty smell inside, especially near the door seal; presumably from left-behind moisture. The installer told me the same and he instructed us to wipe the door and seal dry after use.

Does anyone use one of those products, such as Tide Washing Machine Cleaner, that is designed to keep your washer clean and odor/mildew free?

InsaneCdn

The number 1 rule of a front-load washer (I've had one for years) is to always leave the door open when not in use. This allows it to dry out, and really keeps the smell down.

Having said that... there is a bit of soap scum and such that does build up. I need to pick up one of the washer-cleaning products again - but haven't done this for a while, so no advice on brands or anything.

T

TeDo

I went through this. It is AWEFUL and is hard to get rid of (no one warned me when I got mine a year ago). I have always left the door open when not in use so it had to be the soap scum stinking something awful. Talk about rancid. I used the Tide Washing Machine Cleaner once a week for SIX weeks for the smell to improve. Our clothes still sometimes smell but nearly as bad. They recommend using the cleaner once a month but I think I will continue to use it every week or two. I don't EVER want that smell back.

InsaneCdn

TeDo -
What do you use for soap... liquid? or powder? Powdered soap is a no-no for front-load. Even with liquid - it needs to be the highly-concentrated stuff.
And how hard is your water? Hard water builds scum fast. We had no problems where we used to live - but within a year here, we had the "smell" issue. If you have hard water, it helps to either have a water softener, or to add water softener to your wash cycle (calgon or whatever - add with clothes).

T

TeDo

The special liquid soap made for front loaders (he). I have a new water softener that is checked and filled every two months by the company. I really think it was over a year's worth of soap/fabric softener build up and no one had ever told me that might ever become an issue. I chalked it up to naivity.

InsaneCdn

FABRIC SOFTENER. Ding!
I don't use it. Not even in the dryer. (allergies)
Mom had problems with her washer - even switched back to top load - but SHE used fabric softener in her washer.

That stuff produces more gunk than anything else I know of (except powdered soap in hard water!). So, if you are using it, then yes, you will need to run a cleaning solution through on a regular basis.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I have used the front loading machine cleaner with good results. No one ever mentioned that there can be a smell build up of soap and I'll never go without fabric softner so I will have to keep using the cleaner every month or so, if that is the cause. I'm going to try to leave the door open and see if that helps.
It's been a non issue since I used the machine cleaner.

trinityroyal

I use fabric softener (otherwise I have a bunch of highly sensory aspergers people -- myself included -- wriggling around in misery).

I always leave the door open when the machine is not in use, and I don't let the laundry sit too long. Once in a while I wipe the door seal with a mild cleaner. That's it, and I've never really had an issue with the musty smell. Only when I forget that I've run a load of washing and it sits there festering for a few days...

Trinity