Proud of my husband

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Our son finished his parole several weeks back. He told us he was headed to the NW to do some kind of fishing that he says he can make a boat load of money doing.

Last night he called my husband's phone asking for $100 as he needs it for a deposit on a motel room. How he's really sick with a cold and sinus problems. How it's cold and wet where he is.
You know the drill "I'm having a pity party and I expect you to pay for it"

My husband laid into him. He told him that he made a choice to quit the job he had so he could head to the NW and that we are not going to give him any money. Well as you can imagine, the F bombs starting flying out of our sons mouth and he hung up on my husband.

My husband is usually the one who is more willing to give in but not this time. He was really sad after the call. I get it, I feel bad too but we cannot allow our son to manipulate us. I'm sure that it will be a long time before we hear anything from our son. It is what it is..........................

newstart

Our son finished his parole several weeks back. He told us he was headed to the NW to do some kind of fishing that he says he can make a boat load of money doing.

Last night he called my husband's phone asking for $100 as he needs it for a deposit on a motel room. How he's really sick with a cold and sinus problems. How it's cold and wet where he is.
You know the drill "I'm having a pity party and I expect you to pay for it"

My husband laid into him. He told him that he made a choice to quit the job he had so he could head to the NW and that we are not going to give him any money. Well as you can imagine, the F bombs starting flying out of our sons mouth and he hung up on my husband.

My husband is usually the one who is more willing to give in but not this time. He was really sad after the call. I get it, I feel bad too but we cannot allow our son to manipulate us. I'm sure that it will be a long time before we hear anything from our son. It is what it is..........................

As hard as it was for your husband to do, you and I both know it was the right and only thing to do. I admire your husband, it takes mega strength to say and stay on track like that. At you son's age there is NO excuse to call your mom and dad and ask for THEIR hard earned money. Even though you did the absolute right thing there is pain that comes with it.

Beta

Your husband did the right thing, but it's still painful to see them suffer even if its because they've made another dumb choice.

Albatross

Yuck. I think watching son be a jerk to Hubs hurts me more than son attacking me directly.

Kudos to your husband. My son would likely have responded in a similar fashion. I agree with SS -- go have some fun together.

Kalahou

I'm with you Tanya. Good for you guys.
(I think my husband is not as strong. My son seems to play us - asks one of us first - then if he gets a "no" , he tries the other. Same ole.... )
It is hard, It is sad .... no matter how old they are or how many times it happens. Hang in there.