psychiatric hospital time

T

toughlovin

Hi all, Well our saga continues... My son called me this morning sounding very upset and told me he wa checking himself into the local hospital. I was actually nearby the hospital when he called. I asked if he wanted me to come and he said yes. So I went and he was sitting on the curb. I asked him if he had checked in yet and he said no. So I suggested that instead I drive him to a nearby psychiatric hospital which has a really good reputation. I thought it might be better than either the hospital or where the hospital would send him if they didn't have a bed. We had been that route before and I thought the psychiatric hospital would be better. So he agreed. So I drove him. We went in and he admitted himself. He was very depressed, somewhat suicidal and it is over the girlfriend which was my guess when he called. He has had this pattern before where he gets really broken up with a girlfriend breaks up with him.

However what his different this time is that he called me, he decided he needs help and he checked himself in!!! That is a huge step. I am hoping this place can really set him up with some good psychiatric services that he will like. He needs soem intensive therapy and I am hoping this will get him on the road to that...plus get him back on medications which I think he needs.

So I think he is hitting bottom in a big way and hopefully things will get better and he will start doing the internal work he needs to do.

TL

S

Signorina

That is VERY hopeful - he recognized that he needed help and he arranged for it. And he called you as support yet at the same time he admitted himself into the hospital of his own accord. Definitely a good sign and I am very hopeful for you both! {{{hugs}}}

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Very good sign he is ready to accept help.

Keeping him and you in my prayers. I hope from here he can begin to move forward.

(((hugs)))

InsaneCdn

It is a huge step forward when they can...
- recognize they have a need
- reach out for help
- be willing to drive the process

Sending {{hugs}} and hopes that this is a positive turn on the switch-back track of life.

T

toughlovin

Thank you for all your comments and support. I too see it as a hugely positive step which i hope he continues..... I was strong yesterday doing all that we needed to do.... and today I feel like I am falling apart. You all know what I mean, close to tears, barely managing. I didnt sleep well last night. I did get my daughter off for the first day of school..... and i an getting ready for work. The alanon meeting I go to is tonight and I really want to go but unfortunately have a conflict. I hate to back out of that committment but man I think I need the alanon meeting more than ever right now.
I just feel so sad for my son and feel it even more as I watch other parents sending their kids off to college for the first time.

TL

P

PatriotsGirl

(((HUGS))) sending kids off to college time is rough on a lot of us. We are here with you. I think it is absolutely HUGE that he wanted to do this. HUGE. I would take that as a very good sign!

Nancy

It's a heartbreak tl but on the other hand it's a blessing that he recognized he needed help and turned to you. As you said this could be the start of his bottom, something he needs to reach before he can crawl out. I know you know this but your heart still aches for him.

Keep up updated. I think this is all a hopeful sign. He wasn't going to get better himself without help and this is his chance.

Nancy

DDD

That's a big step forward. Sending supportive thoughts your way that he is able to take another big step with the help of the professionals. Many of us completely understand what it's like hoping for the best while trying to stay prepared for the worst. I'm rootin' for him. Hugs. DDD

elizabrary

I'm sorry, I know this is very hard on you, but this could be a real turning point in his life. Let's hope it's all up from here. Sending positive thoughts your way!

T

toughlovin

Thanks for your good thoughts. I got a call from him today while I was in the grocery store. At first I couldn't really hear him. I kind of internally panicked that he was going to ask me to pick him up so he could leave. LOL. That was not the case. He talked to the doctor today and he is allowed his ipod there and so was asking me to bring him a charger. I told him I was planning to come see him tomorrow so would it be ok if I brought it then. He said yes and Thank you. :) The unit he is on is a short term unit for crisis stabalization.... and it is the one unit in the hospital where you can keep your cell phone and apparently your ipod. He did sound better today than he was yesterday.... still not great but less out of it. I suspect he took something or some extra medications or something night before last. :(

AHF

Glad he asked for help. And don't want to rain on anyone's parade. But as my difficult child prepares to discharge from a psychiatric hospital to a homeless shelter, I have to say, place your hopes in his willingness to do the needed work and not in the hospital itself. These stays are always too short. In my son's case, he balked at doing the addiction track in the step-down program they found for him, and so he will be on his own after 5 weeks in the psychiatric ward. A good psychiatric hospital has the tools; he's the only one, in the end, who can use them. Good luck!