Psychiatric medications...who in our community has taken them and...

nerfherder

I was being sarcastic, sorry about that. I too went through the "withdrawal" period when getting myself off Zoloft. The claims of pharm companies and doctors with or without backing from those companies, stating "Well, no, there's no withdrawal period!" are full of hooey. You take something that adjusts your brain chemistry, your brain's balance adjusts to the new chemistry, then for whatever reason you have to stop - and nothing's supposed to happen? Note earlier that I stated how I tapered off the Zoloft, and how I felt as I did so. Brain fog! I can still remember the sensation.

And here's another odd thing. After, when I was losing all that weight, there was one time where I *swear* I felt like a pocket of the Zoloft stored in my body fat was being metabolized. It was disturbing and really unpleasant.

Once again, I'll be more careful about labelling my sarcasm and I'm sorry it threw you. That's sincerity, because on the internet we can't see each others faces or hear each others' tones of voice.

nerfherder

Here again, I was addressing that on Prozac I had no withdrawal effects. On Zoloft, as I noted near the beginning of the thread in an earlier post, I did. And I was referring after in outrage to the attitude of pharm reps towards the patients who are prescribed their products. Believe me, conversations with my acquaintance who was doing the transcriptions were utterly outrage-inducing. If that's the attitude of the reps and "professionals" who develop those products... :(

nerfherder

Just another note on side effects: I don't know if it was the combination of Zoloft and Ritalin, or the two combined with chronic sleep deprivation while I was working night shifts as a baker, but my short-term memory was completely shot for years, and 14 years later while still not great has recovered somewhat. I still depend on notebooks and a whiteboard to keep track of my task list.

InsaneCdn

. I still depend on notebooks and a whiteboard to keep track of my task list.
I have to do that... medications or no medications, but it's worse without medications
Chronic sleep deprivation, though, DOES have long-term consequences.

susiestar

Roll With It
I would approve short term benzos for anxiety for one of my kids but NOT ssri/snri medications unless it was a long term deep depression like Wiz has always had. I saw it starting when he was 18 mos old and by age five it was part of who he was in his own mind. While ssri medications have helped, we have had trouble with some.

I would NEVER EVER put a male child on zoloft, problem not even let my husband take it. At the time we had Wiz on it, three other people here had their sons on it also. We ALL saw greatly increased aggression, anger and violence between 45 and 90 days after the first increase from the lowest dose. ALL FOUR at the same time? One mom got evidence to PROVE that the medication caused violence and aggression starting at that time frame in males, esp when taken with another medication, which I cannot remember but think was seroquel. at the time, her son was in juvenile prison for assaulting her and she fought tooth and nail to get the defense atty to talk to her (said he couldn't because her son was 14 and old enough to make his own decisions and she got a judge to make the def atty talk to her because her son was a minor) and then to get the judge to pay attention to the information. It was buried in the prescribing info for the rx.

Once we got Wiz off the zoloft, he described the rage buildup while he was on it and I am shocked and impressed with him for not killing me under the influence of that medication. He NEEDS an antidepressant and it took THREE of them to allow him to clear the anger and depression that had taken hold of him (Strattera is an ssri a/d though used mostly for adhd, luvox which is prozac but stronger, and trazodone which helped him sleep and is a tricyclic a/d) and allow him to turn himself around and make much better choices.

I truly believe that if we had kept Wiz on zoloft, one of us would have died years before things got so bad. Knowing what the other moms reported with our boys being around the same age, similar issues, and starting the medication and teh major increase in problems at the same time?

No male that I love will take zoloft. Ever. Not while I live and breathe. It is listed as an allergy on Wiz' information because the last two doses happened while he had an asthma attack and I told the doctor that it was a reaction to the medication, not that it was his asthma. I don't wnat a doctor to EVER get the idea to try it on him. He knows this, and agrees that it should be listed as an allergy because for him, the reaction was truly awful and NOT one that anyone would believe. It is the type of reaction that MANY docs around here would say couldn't happen again, so just try it.

Haozi, be CAREFUL about medications for a kid. from what I have read and the people I have spoken with, the most common reaction of a child who is given an ssri type antidepressant is mania. Jessie was literally acting like she was drunk or high on something when they tried prozac for her. It was sad, but also kinda funny. Bless her teacher that year. We had spoken to her to let her know what was going on, and the third day Jess was on the medications, it got strange. My daughter was teacher's pet, loved school, never got into ANY trouble except for sticking up for kids who were bullied. Well, the teacher ALL knew she would hit a boy in the crotch with a soccer ball if he was bullying someone, but how do you prove that? Esp when no other kid will admit it? Anyway, that third day, after lunch the teacher told the kids to sit down and get out a book. Jess led them in a conga line around the room chanting "we want to play, we want to dance" for about ten min. The teacher watched in utter fascination because it was so out of character for her.

The teacher couldn't keep from laughing when she told us about it, and even two days later she was chuckling over it. I wish there was video, lol. We were BLESSED to have a teacher who understood so well. Her daughter had gone through a period of depression about 2 yrs before, so she 'got it' and was helpful and sweet and very tolerant as we figured things out and helped Jess through everything.

MOST of the kids in the sp ed program that year, and the next 2 yrs all had manic reactions to ssri medications. I honestly think they are not very useful for kids because kids seem very prone to that reaction. Part of me wishes Wiz had reacted that way, it might have helped him or at least been a nice change of pace. Or not.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Storm was tried on Celexa (BAAAD reaction) then risperdal (that one landed her in psychiatric hospital). She's not on any SSRIs. The zoloft/pamelor combo was when I was in my late teens and going through depression after my (adopted) mother died.

BusynMember

Oh, nerfie, I'm sorry!!! Yes, please do something like (sarcasm) first...lol...so that people like me who miss it aren't clueless and jump down your throat for no reason. I'm really sorry (second time I've had to say that recently because of not being able to "read" expressions). :)

Sus, I can't take Zoloft either and I don't think I'm a man...haha. But, in all seriousness, I know people whose lives were saved by Zoloft, like Paxil saved mine. It's such a crop shoot, really. But I know I wouldn't be here without my medication so it's a necessary crop shoot for many of us. If you are sick enough, you will try anything. I was ready to do ECT and it was MY idea...anything to get out of my years of being stuck in the black hole where the sun was not allowed in. Nothing was working and I was medication compliant, did therapy willingly, went to a self-help group for extra measure, exercised and did just about everything you are supposed to do to combat depression. Until I was given paroxatene and clonazapan my life consisted of trying not to kill myself. I had chronic severe depression that none of the other medications could bring me totally out of and I thought about suicide all the time. Only my children kept me here until the paroxatene.

nerfherder

Oh, nerfie, I'm sorry!!! Yes, please do something like (sarcasm) first...lol...so that people like me who miss it aren't clueless and jump down your throat for no reason. I'm really sorry (second time I've had to say that recently because of not being able to "read" expressions). :)

Oh, no worries. I was a little worried myself, it's the second time this week I've had a touch of misunderstanding due to, I guess the best way to describe it, the assumption that my routine of thinking was either obvious or common. I blame some lack of sleep and the trip stress, but those add up to lack of presence and awareness which is something I try to avoid.

I was ready to do ECT and it was MY idea...anything to get out of my years of being stuck in the black hole where the sun was not allowed in. Nothing was working and I was medication compliant, did therapy willingly, went to a self-help group for extra measure, exercised and did just about everything you are supposed to do to combat depression.

I think all the therapy and exercise I was doing kept the creeping black fog at bay until it just overwhelmed me - I remember one specific moment, a week before my appointment, where we were visiting the inlaws. DEX already knew I was having bad problems and he kept feeding me coffee and tea so I could get out of bed in the morning. So, I'm dishing up dinner salads, and spilled a little - some fell in the silverware drawer, some fell on the floor, and I froze - I could NOT decide which to pick up first. I started shaking, I was that bad, and he saw, ran over and helped. The Zoloft - it helped me detach, but it wasn't a pleasant detachment. On the other hand, anything short of an axe to the skull would have been welcome by that point. So I get what you're saying.

Only my children kept me here until the paroxatene.

My mantra was "Some days, honor is all there is." I couldn't run away in any sense because abandoning my kids would have been about the worst thing on the planet for me.

Contrast that to how I feel now. :) It's a pretty strange journey, parenthood.

To keep on topic better, someone mentioned Strattera - A bipolar friend who is a walking pharm encyclopedia suggested that may be what's prescribed when Kiddo gets to the point of medications. Are there any suggestions or comments from the other parents here who've had their kids on it?

InsaneCdn

Strattera... we haven't had side-effects (or at least none we could attribute to that vs the other medications difficult child is on).
We added it to the mix to get a 24/7 "baseline" that was higher than before - an ability to still "think" when the other medications wear off. And yes, for us, it does provide that baseline. But... it isn't enough to get him through a school day.