flutterby

Fly away!
I really don't know what I think about this psychiatrist. She spoke a few more words this time other than, "Ahhhh. Ok.", but....just but.

She put difficult child on clonidine (sp?) 0.1mg to help with sleep. Said difficult child could take it with the 100mg trazodone because difficult child says the trazodone isn't working all that well. (It is.) psychiatrist started difficult child on 10mg Celexa to increase to 20mg. Offered nothing for PRN, although when I asked if the clonodine could be used PRN she said it could.

She does want to get the anxiety under control before we address anything else, which is what I've been saying to anyone who will listen for the last 2 weeks - or however long it's been since the lovely ADD diagnosis came along.

But, difficult child? She makes me so tired. She sat in that appointment and told psychiatrist that she has Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD). When I told difficult child that she hasn't been diagnosis'd with that, she insisted that she had been and that she just saw therapist yesterday. I saw therapist Monday. Then difficult child said she has Mixed PD.

When psychiatrist asked difficult child when her last panic attack was before last week, difficult child said months. Sigh. No. She's been having them regularly for weeks. difficult child became very angry and said she hadn't and that psychiatrist was talking to her, not me.

Before psychiatrist even started, difficult child accused me of "looking angry". No. I looked tired and in pain. And I wasn't even looking at her. I was reading the titles of the books on the bookshelf.

Last night I got yelled at because I can't control how quickly the hot water tank refills. And I got yelled at because I didn't pick her up at school "on time". Oh, I was there. In the line of cars. difficult child just doesn't want to come out and look for me because, "it's cold and I'm not standing out in the cold". So, she doesn't come out until I'm able to pull up in front of the doors. I have no intention of getting there 20 minutes early so I can be waiting for her in front of the doors. She can come look for me, or she can wait. I've gotten to where I don't even leave to get her until 5 minutes after school is out because there's no point. The line of cars goes down the road. And if she's not going to look for me, but insist on door to door service...well, that's how it's going to work.

The upside is that even though difficult child is still having stomach issues, she's not complaining about it all day long. I guess she doesn't want to go back to the ER. I am going to call the GP tomorrow, though, and see if we should try a different medication. But, at least I'm not listening to her "dying" all night long.

I really need a break.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Heather,
It sounds so exhausting-you really do need a break. I can understand why you're not sure you like the psychiatrist. One thing I love about difficult child's psychiatrist is that he does talk and listen and he definitely involves us (husband and I) in the conversation (of course that may be because difficult child often won't say anything about what the psychiatrist wants to talk about.

I'm so sorry things are so rough right now. ((((hugs))))

jcox

I would be very concerned about her being put on Celexa. Has she been on it or something similar such as Paxil before? E was put on Celexa in the Winter of 2008. It made him talk of suicide for the first time in his life, put him in many mixed states, very aggressive, etc. This all led to his first psychiatric hospital stay where the psychiatrists there told me a child with BiPolar (BP) should never be put on that medication. Just wondering if she has ever been on it before? If not be very careful and watch her closely. It is known to make children with BiPolar (BP) much worse.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Heather--

I can so relate. My difficult child will do the same thing...

Blames me for things that have nothing to do with me--wants me to "fix" stuff that's out of my control....and at the same time wants me to "butt out" and stay out of her life and leave her alone.
Doesn't like me to say anything at therapist/psychiatrist appts because she wants to tell the doctor how everything is rosy (O I haven't done that for ages!!) when the truth is that everything has been FAR from rosy.

It really leaves parents in an impossible situation when they simultaneously tell you "Go away!!" and "Don't leave me!!".

It's exhausting.

I wish I had an answer...

--DaisyFace

gcvmom

Here we go again!
She's starting to remind me of my difficult child-dad who has a severe complex of anxiety-related issues that evolved over his lifetime into agoraphobia, depression, and most probably borderline personality disorder (as far as I can see from my layman's experience).

You've really got to try to detach from her whenever she starts ranting about something or you're going to lose it yourself. When she starts up, just look at her, smile, and think to yourself that she is ill, that this is her disease taking over and it's NOT your fault. Go to your "happy place", tune her out, whatever it takes to keep yourself from getting drawn into the emotional chaos she's brewing.

My dad does the same stuff to the people in his life. Now it's just my mom because she's the only one in his life on a daily basis (he has no friends, and all but one of his sibs are deceased). When I lived at home, he would rant for hours at me -- I got very good at looking like I was listening while my mind was very far away. I think that's the only thing that saved me from going into a very dark place of my own.

Sounds like the psychiatrist may be on the right track for difficult child... it will take time, but hopefully this new approach with the medications will work and you can get your daughter back.

flutterby

Fly away!
Jcox - my daughter has Borderline PD, not bipolar disorder.

I like the idea of celexa. Lexapro worked, but difficult child will not admit it because she didn't want to take medications then and convinced herself it didn't work. I didn't let her know that Lexapro was just next generation Celexa.

I do a lot of smile and nodding, but I also have to bring reality back to difficult child. The world does not revolve around her. She's 15, not 5. I understand what you're saying gcvmom, and I pick battles and days, but I can't do that all the time. It's not going to help her any to think this is the how the world is going to work for her. Believe me, there are a lot of days where I inwardly groan and say nothing.