psychiatrist conversation

K

Kjs

psychiatrist finally called me back. I explained to him that since difficult child started remeron he has been so very sad. So alone. No desire to go anywhere, do anything. Even things he use to enjoy. Only sits alone at the computer. I told him that He seemed to do SO much better when he was on Lamictal alone. But...he had so much anxiety I was hoping to help him with that. psychiatrist doesn't think remeron is doing it, but said to give him 1/2 dose each night and bring him in next week. But anytime we ever go there all he does is spend less than ten minutes going over medications and that is it. Doesn't seem to spend anytime talking to difficult child, or asking how he is feeling. I am disappointed and scared. difficult child use to be out going, use to have a lot of friends. Although he had difficulty keeping friends, he had sooo many different ones. Always talking to one or another. Now, nobody. And he doesn't care. Says he hates everyone and they hate him so why should he be nice. He use to have a conscience. He would apologize to kids for his behavior. Now..doesn't care. He use to have such a funny sense of humor. He could make anyone laugh. Now, spends most of his time being angry and crying. OK...it was really scarey, puppy jumped out the window. Couldn't find her...But, someone stopped and picked her up. Returned her, she is unharmed. Alright, now thinking back if you were riding downt he road (busy road) and a puppy came flying out a window...I had to laugh. That totally set him off.
Don't know. Don't even know what to discuss or what will be discussed at the 10 am meeting. If anyone has read my post regarding FBA in Special Education forum, please advise. Isn't an FBA more than ONE observation in ONE class??

tiredmommy

Kjs,
I can understand your concerns about the changes in difficult child's personality. I'm sure someone with more experience in medication management will give you some strategies on effectively communicating your concerns to the psychiatrist.
On that note, I'm going to move this post over to General, since the Special Education forum deals primarily with school/educational issues. Look for responses there, please.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I don't know how long difficult child has been seeing this psychiatrist. But if you don't feel like he's doing his job it might be time to seek out a second opinion.

I'd be worried too.

Hugs

oceans

I hope that the appointment goes well, and that decreasing the remeron might help. Sometimes I need to be persistent, and a bit of a pest when it comes to being heard about concerns with difficult child. Where I live is seems more common that the psychiatrist manages medications and expects to have a working relationship with the therapist who he gets information from on how difficult child is doing. It is rare to find a psychiatrist that will take on both roles, although we have had very lengthy appointments when difficult child was not doing well. How does it work where you live? I have switched psychiatrists before when I felt very strongly that I was not being listened to, and the therapist just was not getting it.

BusynMember

Hi. Look, I'm not sure what is going on with your son, but I have bipolar and I really hit the skids at age 13. One day I was a happy kid (Well, I was having a "good" year)--out every day, with friends, etc. and then I went to bed one night and woke up uber-depressed and it lasted for one whole year. I didn't want to get out of bed or see anyone or talk to anyone and I felt like crying all the time. I had high levels of anxiety with the depression and told my mom "I'm scared, but I don't know what I'm scared of." I almost had a sense of foreboding, which I now know is a symptom of anxiety AND depression (they often go hand-in-hand). I would have, as a child, a good year (still phobic, still nervous, bu friendly and outgoing) and a "bad" year (depressed, overly hypochondria, crying, some raging). I now realize this as the early onset of bipolar, but it got worse when I became a teen. It actually kicked in right before I got my first period and it happened overnight for me, with no warning. There was no diagnosis of BiPolar (BP) in kids back then and no medication so I had to just be depressed or hypo-manic or whatever was tossed my way. Your son may (and this is only a suggestion) going through what I did. The moodswings got far worse as I hit the teens and I could have used a good mood stabilizer and, in my case, because I got suicidal, possibly an antidepressant with it, but I'm leery of antidepressants with kids (my own opinion). If the Lamictal helped your son, maybe get another opinion. My one biological kid has some moodswings and anxiety and loves Lamictal. He hated Remeron. He said it made him far worse (he has insomnia so they gave it to him for that). Since he was 19 at the time, he just stopped taking it. Since your son isn't getting better, I would get a second opinion. I forget where you live in Wisconsin. I'm in mid-Wisconsin. I had good luck with one psychiatrist up this way. I wish you luck. If you want to know anything about psychiatrists up this way, PM me.

Wishing

The psychiatrist is trying to see if it is the dose that is off. We had a problem with adderall which made my son very withdrawn to the point where he did not want to talk and was very withdrawn and even his skin color changed.He looked gray. He was taken off the drug at the next dr. visit. Some of these drugs have dramatic effects on personality.I would watch how your child does on the reduced remeron. If after a week difficult child is still not his usual self I would call the dr. again and ask how long should difficult child be on it as he is miserable.

DDD

I have also had to change psychiatrists over the years but it sounds as
though this one is at least hearing your concerns. Personally I
would make brief journal between now and then so you have some
support data. Crossing fingers you get the right medication. DDD