psychiatrist prescribed Lamictal; difficult child ranted all the way home

TerryJ2

After the nosebleed and heart palpitations on lithium, difficult child, understandably wanted to go awhile with-no medications at all. I told him that was understandable.

But he's been doing so well because of the medication, not in spite of it. He doesn't understand that side effects can still occur with-something that otherwise works.

"I've got a right to decide what goes in my body. And I don't want to try something that might give me a rash."
That's understandable. But psychiatrist said, "I like treating you successfully out of the hospital," (I love the way he phrased that, lol!) "so this is what we're going to do: One at night for 7 days, then one in the morning and one at night. You can taper down the Concerta later, and you can change the clonidine to a PRN right now."

by the way, difficult child said that in addition to the nosebleeds and dizziness, he felt like he was outside of his body. The psychiatrist said that could have been from the spice, similar to an LSD flashback, rather than the lithium.
And he also did a CBC, thank d*G, to see if difficult child had a virus. He was fine.
I guess that's why he's the psychiatrist and I'm the parent ... :wellduh:

difficult child argued that he wanted to go with-o, and husband said something. I said something. The psychiatrist said more.
Finally, I said, "difficult child, you've been outvoted."
He kept shooting me the Evil Eye and I knew I'd get it full blast in the car.

One of his lamest arguments was that at 16 he should be allowed to make his own decisions because he knew what was right for his body.
I said, "Like you knew that spice was right for you?"

"I've got ASPERGER'S!" he shouted. "That was my only friend. He said it would be fun and funny and we would laugh. I told him I'd heard bad things about it, and he said that was only for a few who had bad reactions. And I FEEL wrong about taking this new medicine!"

"I completely understand. Diabetics hate to take medicine too, but feelings without information and experience are just feelings."

That didn't go over well. "Not a medicine that makes me feel like I could DIE. Kids have RIGHTS! I have RIGHTS in the United States." (First, he's old enough to make his own decisions. Then, he's just a kid. Whatever.)

"Actually, no, you don't. There's nothing in our Declaration of Independence or Bill of Rights that guarantees our children anything. If you want that, you'll have to move to Sweden.":sissyfight:

"Kids have the right not to be abused!"

"Okay, so if I took my entire container of migraine medicine, and forced you to swallow the entire thing, and told you that you have no right to say no, then I could see that's over the top--"

"That's NOT what I'm talking about!!!!"
Okay, I realize I should have just kept my mouth shut but sometimes it's just too tempting.:kickme:

I dropped him off at his girlfriend's house (I've got a mtng in a few min) and like nothing at all happened, he got out of the car and in a normal tone of voice, said, "Thank you. I'll call you. Love you."

OMG. I've got a headache.:hangoversmiley:

Last edited:

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Heh, on more than one occasion I've informed Storm that until the age of 18 she has no rights and is, for all intents and purposes, considered my property, lol. She believes me for now. Glad he at least got out of the car in a decent mood, hope he takes the medication as directed.

buddy

Jjj, that's the truth!

I sure hope the lamictal helps. Even typing it brings shivers to me.....

Is the lithium staying? Reducing? Or ending?

Q goes from I have no choice because he won't tolerate my telling him what to do back to you're the one who has to do that because you're my mom and you're supposed to take care of me. Uggg.

His explanation about why he used spice sure was a good example of how vulnerable he really is. I have told q over and over that kids who want you to try drugs will trick you saying that he'll really be ok, etc. I flat out said he could die. I still think in the minute he would fall for peer pressure.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I've impressed on mine how important it is that illegal/other drugs or alcohol don't mix with her medications. I'm *hoping* that will stick with her through the teen years when it will really matter!

TerryJ2

Thanks, heh heh. NOW I can smile about it. But he really wore me out.

Yes, he's totally off the lithium. It's been four days.

I'm waiting the pharma to fill the new scrip. Stay tuned.

L

Liahona

Oh, that sounds a lot like difficult child 1 right now. He argues over everything. Good luck and I hope the new medication works.

BusynMember

I had that "outside of my body" feeling on Lithium and it scared me so much I made my one and only semi-suicide attempt by taking a bottle of Valium. I never did any drugs...it's just the way Lithium can make you feel and it's worse than the disease in my opinion. I've never taken Lamictal but my son did. I heard it is better with less side effects, however he was on a very high dose and he got double vision and an unstable gait and had to go off of it. He got into a major car crash on it. BUT he was on a VERY high dose...800 mgs....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Give it a try. There are side effects to all psychotrophic medications. Some are tolerable and worth it because you feel better (when I take Paroxatene, it makes me hungry and I haven't been thin since starting it, but it helps me). It's a big experiment with medications, and it can take a long time before finding medications that both help the problem and don't make a person a zombie. I hope the Lamictal works, if Son is willing to try it. Have psychiatrist start low and not up him to an unreasonably high level. Since I have a different perspective, I would take that side effect complaint seriously. I felt much better off Lithium than on it. I'm sure I seemed like I was better because I was so zombied out and sedated, but I was actually worse.

The result of taking medications that make you feel worse COULD be that they refuse to take medications as they get older. I did not make that choice, but a lot of adults are non-compliant often because they don't like the way the medications make them feel. The right medications shouldn't make anyone feel "weird." I also feel that if your child is using recreational drugs, the psychotrophic medication is pretty worthless (sigh).

StressedM0mma

Terry, I can just picture you banging your head against a wall after dealing with that. Our difficult child's sure know how to argue. I think most of them would make great attorneys. Or, they would just drive everyone else so crazy they would win because everyone else would leave! I hope the new medication works, and that there isn't a fight for him to take it.

TerryJ2

Thank you everyone.
Yep, he's either going to be a lawyer or lobbyist!!

MWM, I am so sorry about that horrible reaction. Interesting that you had the same effect that difficult child did, about the out-of-body experience.

Yes, I am worried that he won't take it when he gets older. I try not to think about it every day.

Oh Terry - ugh. What is the law concerning his medical rights? Where we live the child has the right to start making their own medical decisions at the age of 12! Yikes. Thankfully most of these kids don't know that.

It drove me crazy when difficult child used to rant and rave and carry on and be horrible to me and then turn around and act like everything is perfectly normal. They seem to be able to turn on a dime and we are still spinning from what just happened.

Hope this new regimen works.

StressedM0mma

I worry every day about what will happen to difficult child once she turns 18 and "can make her own decisions" I just hope and pray her tdocs and psychiatrist can get her to see the medications are what are helping.

BusynMember

I worry every day about what will happen to difficult child once she turns 18 and "can make her own decisions" I just hope and pray her tdocs and psychiatrist can get her to see the medications are what are helping.
The only person who knows if the medications are helping without intolerable side effects is the person taking them. If more of our kids were given the right medication and not overmedicated and LISTENED to when they say the medications are giving them side effects, less would stop taking them. If the medication is really making you feel better, you don't want to quit taking it. It's when it doesn't make you feel good that you want to quit. This goes for adults too. Amazing how often psychiatrists try to treat adults who have MI like naughty kids if they dare to say a medication is not working or is making them feel bad.
Lithium also made me feel like I wasn't really alive, but in a dream. Very spooky feeling, one I could never live with. Yet Lithium helps some people a lot. Delicate balancing act. All people are different and just because a psychiatrist says that you shouldn't have a side effect on X and X dose doesn't mean you won't. It would help so much if psychiatrists listened more to their patients. Less would be medication non-compliant. Nobody is going to take any medication that gives them horrible side effects.

TerryJ2

In this case, MWM, I'm the bad guy, because my difficult child is always The Boy Who Cried Wolf. So I blew him off.

I'll pay more attention this time.

The psychiatrist will pay more attention if I force him to. But I never made a big deal out of it. I never gave him his cue, or any clues.