psychiatrist visit

jodyice

difficult child had his first appointment with psychiatrist since his release from hospital, I took all this information with me, had all these questions ready, and yet when we started talking about Residential Treatment Facility (RTF), the questions and all flew right out of my head. She did increase his dose of lithium to the 300mg in the am and 600mg in the pm, changed him from the Trazodone back to Remeron for his sleep once again and gave me a prescription for Zyprexa for times when he's extremely agitated and can't/won't calm down. Other than that, we found out she will transcribe her evaluation for him tonight and then it has a 10 day turnaround to be submitted to insurance company for Residential Treatment Facility (RTF). We told her how extremely important it will be for her to make sure she puts down how many times he's been in psychiatric hospital, the severity it has become and all that, we don't want the insurance company to turn it down. We also know that it's the insurance company that has to find a place for difficult child that can deal with all the *problems* (the deafness, diabetes, etc.). psychiatrist recommended a place in Florida, they can deal with every aspect of him. We found a place in Ohio, but they're not sure about the diabetes, depending on the level of care he would need. I just don't know what to do. Florida is so far away, how would we visit? How would he get there? All these questions again and don't know whom to ask.
Since difficult child has been home, it's been a roller coaster ride. He has his moments. I'm afraid to sleep at night still. Everything that happened that day still plays over and over in my head.
psychiatrist asked about a safety plan. Our safety plan is to call 911 if he can't be redirected, calmed down, it's always been the plan. I just hope we don't have to do that. I just hope we can keep him under control till he goes to Residential Treatment Facility (RTF).

I wish everyone well.

kris

<span style="color: #000099">joanne, i'm starting the bead rattling right not that psychiatrist writes the best report she has ever done in her life.

try not to worry about the details just now. get the approval first. make a list & try to tick off one thing a day so when the time comes you're ready.

any idea where in florida they may be thinking of sending him? near orlando by any chance??

kris </span>

tiredmommy

Kris has got it right, Joanne, take this one step at a time. I'm sure other parents that have had to place their child out of state will chime in soon. Prayers being said. :angel:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
My thoughts are with you and a thorough sucessful evaluation. as well... here's some bead rattlin' from my end!!! Take it slow...

Janna

From PA to Florida? Wow.

Why can't he go to an Residential Treatment Center (RTC)/Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) and see a regular doctor for the diabetes?

That is a long trip (I live in PA). I don't know how comfortable I'd be with that either. But, you know, in the end, if that's what is going to work for difficult child, and that is going to be the ticket to wellness, well, it would be worth it.

FWIW, probably not much, Dylan is on the 900 mg. of Lithium, too. It took a full 8 weeks, but once it was in, it did miracles for him. I hope it does the same for your difficult child.

Janna

jodyice

I'm not sure how the ins co works, but according to psychiatrist and family based team and MH/MR people, they all say the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) has to be able to take care of all his needs, that they actually have to have someone staffed at the place that can deal with the diabetes.
This is totally new for us, we have no experience in what the ins co will look for or anything.
As long as he gets the help he needs, I'd send him across the world. Even if it is scary.
10 days still seems like too long a time at times, especially when there's a rough period. But I know I'm not the only one that has ever faced time delays.
Thanks everyone for your bead rattling, thoughts and prayers.

kris

<span style="color: #000099">i know he's young to be that far from home....but finding a place that can meet his needs is far more important than location. since you did give me the name of the place under consideration i can say it has a most excellent reputation & as i said in my latest PM, sarah knows one of the staffers quite well.

but again, deep breaths & one step at a time. first comes the evaluation...then the approval of a facility. then the logistics of the whole thing. deep breaths, soothing music, walks if that's what keeps you peace of mind. one foot in front of the other.

kris </span>

DammitJanet

I agree with Kris about location...there are people who live on the east coast who send their kids to Utah or Washington State. Distance isnt the most important consideration here...the best placement is.

You can do telephone therapy. You can fly or drive down every so often to visit. PA to FL isnt that long a drive. Hey you can stop in Lumberton and visit with me...lol...its the halfway point!

Im hoping you hear something soon and that this placement works out.