psychiatrist vs neurodevelopmental Dr.

angels

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'> </span> Hi,
Just need some advice or guidence. My son gets speech therapy and was diagnosed ADHD by a neuropschologist who's name was given to me by the school, but classified in school as "emtionally disturbed". He is now in an out of district school and doing well (the teacher sees no behavioral issues)huh, just loses focus and is redirected. The classification was based on rating scale on a test given to him by the school psychologist.
I have now started to see a behavioral consultant due to some behavior issues I think is going on, she was surprised on the classification and I expressed some of my concerns about having the classification changed to something else because I just can't accept this. You are probably wondering "why now" after he had his IEP end of the school year of 2007. Lack of knowledge I guess.
Anyway, The behaviorist said I should start with a pediatric neurologist and gave me a name. I called to make an appointment and it turns out he is a nuerodevopmental Dr. (it was a while since she dealt with this Dr.) I would like to go this route anyway, being that I have questions of many areas(he is sensitive to noises and possible ODD and I believe if there are other isuues they would catch it, right? Don't the look at the overall picture?
When I called this Dr. she said he is booked till end of june which stinks because I wanted to use this, but recommened that I should have the school district fund it and the test would have to be done in I believe 30 or 60 days. I have to double check. From listening to my story that it sounds like I should see a psychiatrist. I think I would benefit more fron a neurodevelopmental Dr. than a psychiatrist. Would he be able to diagnose all my concerns? What exactly does a psychiatrist test for? Hoping anyone that reads this can help.
Angels :crazy:

BusynMember

in my humble opinion Neuropsychs do awesome testing, BUT I wouldn't go to anybody that is tied to the school. My experience is that school directed professionals tend to have an agenda and are not as non-biased as private ones, who have no allegiance to the school district. My son had similar issues to yours and the Psychiatrist got him wrong, but the neuropsychologist nailed him really well. The school--ugh, they didn't even come close. You know how it is. If there's a diagnosis they don't want your son to have, it will cost them $$$ for services. I don't trust anybody linked to the SD to give an honest assessment of the problems. You can find private NeuroPsychs at Childrens and University hospitals. As the kids get older, it is easier to get an accurate diagnosis. It is sometimes just too early to have a clear picture when they are very young. in my opinion your son doesn't have a behavior problem, although it may look that way. Perhaps he has some serious Learning Disability (LD) problems or is on the high end of the autism spectrum.
Did your child have any speech or motor delays?
Does your child socialize well with peers his age?
Does your child play appropriately with toys?
Make good eye contact?

My son's first diagnosis. was ADHD/ODD too, but that was wrong. I'd dig deeper.

SRL

When the school funds/arranges the evaluation they have immediate access to the doctor's report which will include diagnoses and recommendations. If you happen to agree with it, it's not such a problem but if you have a major disagreement with the doctor's conclusions, then you are stuck. If instead you pay for the assessment (and don't sign for a release of data to the school) then you review the reports and then give it to the school only in the event you agree with it.

We've seen this disagreement occur a number of times and it makes it extremely difficult to work with the school district, especially when the doctor says that services aren't needed.

Psychiatrists do minimal and sometimes no testing and typically do prescribe medications. If you do decide to use a psychiatrist I would recommend following up with a neuropsychologist and pediatric neurologist.

Whatever you decide, ask to get on a waiting list for a cancellation appointment to the neurologist you want to see. Sometimes appts open up--just be ready to move fast when they do because it will be short notice.

angels

Hi MidwestMom,
I now agree about the doctors. being tied to the school. I am really looking into it and do appreciate your response. As far a Autism, who knows. I need to read about it. The problem is when I go on the the internet I feel worse than I did going in. I feel like he has many characteristics. :crazy2:
To answer your questions:
He does get speech now. He was diagnosed with delayed speech at 3 1/2.
He does not have good eye contact even now, and he's 9 yrs old.
As far as social, There are problems. Not severe but there are. Toys, he could never sit down long enough to get into them. He gets bored very easily. He wasn't really an easy child. Sometimes, before he was born I use to picture myself with him reading or just playing imagination games and having a fun time together.
Looking back now there were moments when he really didn't play that much with toys. I blame myself alot and hate to admit but I was always worried about having the house clean "(sigh)".
I often wonder did that affect him....I'm sure it did.
Angel

angels

Hi MidwestMom,
I now agree about the doctors. being tied to the school. I am really looking into it and do appreciate your response. As far a Autism, who knows. I need to read about it. The problem is when I go on the the internet I feel worse than I did going in. I feel like he has many characteristics.
:crazy2:
To answer your questions:
He does get speech now. He was diagnosed with delayed speech at 3 1/2.
He does not have good eye contact even now, and he's 9 yrs old.
As far as social, There are problems. Not severe but there are. Toys, he could never sit down long enough to get into them. He gets bored very easily. He wasn't really an easy child. Sometimes, before he was born I use to picture myself with him reading or just playing imagination games and having a fun time together.
Looking back now there were moments when he really didn't play that much with toys. I blame myself alot and hate to admit but I was always worried about having the house clean "(sigh)".
I often wonder did that affect him....I'm sure it did.
Angel

angels

SRL said:
Psychiatrists do minimal and sometimes no testing and typically do prescribe medications. If you do decide to use a psychiatrist I would recommend following up with a neuropsychologist and pediatric neurologist.

Would that be the only difference, the psychiatrist prescribes medications?

Why not just go to a neuropsychologist or pediatrician neurologist? I am just wondering
Thanks,
Angel