psychologist vs. social worker?

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Lothlorien, Sep 21, 2007.

  1. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member

    I got a list of 75 providers, within a 15 mile radius. about 1/2 are social workers and the other 1/2 are psychologists.

    Which to chose? Missy needs to learn to control her anger and her rages.
  2. SRL

    SRL Active Member

    I'd try to contact some parents of special needs kids in your area and find out which specialists they have used successfully.
  3. Josie

    Josie Active Member

    I have been to many counselors over the years, some social workers and some psychologists. The one I liked the best and continued with for several years was a social worker. She had her own difficult child's at home so she understood. It was probably that and not her educational background that made her a good fit for us.

    I don't think she helped difficult child at the time but she did help me. I did notice when difficult child was under control by medications and then diet, that she used what she learned in therapy.
  4. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    In this area of the US a social worker is commonly thought of as someone who can help locate and access services in a community; one who works as a case manager for an entity like CPS or a school district or hospital, etc.

    I'm not sure how a social worker could help with-difficult child's particular problem, but in either case I'd interview before starting with a psychologist or SW.

    I don't know how accurate it is, but I found the following at :

    Dear Joyce♦:

    What's the difference between a social worker and a psychologist?



    Dear Wondering:

    To answer your question, we contacted a social worker who is a hospital administrator at a teaching hospital. Here's how she explains the difference:

    The scope of practice is different, but there is overlap in that both clinical psychologists and clinical social workers do assessment and counseling. Practically speaking, both do individual, marital, and family counseling. Both have credentialing bodies with standards of practice and ethical codes.

    Social workers may also work in community development, advocacy, and policy development. Psychologists can have specialized areas such as neuro, where, for example, they would set up programs in and/or consult in behavioral programs for acquired brain injury, or autism, or for testing for learning disabilities in adults and children, or for testing individuals prior to surgery for epilepsy, etc.

    Only psychologists can diagnose and interpret standardized testing. Also, the education is different: Psychologists have PhDs and psychological associates have Master's degrees. Social workers have a BSW or MSW – a doctoral level of study is mostly for those involved in teaching and research.
  5. flutterbee

    flutterbee Guest

    I've had good experiences with both. by the way, the first person to mention a neuropsychologist to us was an MSW. She had more insight into what was going on with difficult child than anyone else.

    For what it's worth, a master's degree in social work is closer to a doctorate in other fields in terms of credit hours.
  6. OpenWindow

    OpenWindow Active Member

    I don't think it matters much whether it's a psychologist are social worker. We've had both that were good and both that were worthless. We have a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) now who is wonderful. She works with him a couple of times a week - her company is contracted by the school so all the services are free and he sees her during school hours. She also sees us for family therapy once a month. She's very thorough with difficult child and communicates with me all the time.

    I agree that you should ask other parents who they have seen and who they would recommend. I've done that in the past and usually know at our first meeting whether it's going to work or not.
  7. sheleack74

    sheleack74 New Member

    could someone help me with this question

    human services professional might differ from a psycologist.