Psychotic? Schizophrenic? Both?

TerryJ2

Yes, I just read the story about the father asking what was in the black bag, and then following him in the car.

And all the places that Jared went all night long, preparing. OMG.

witzend

It breaks my heart. We are in the midst of no contact with M. He won't use his cell so I can't even try to track him there. He hasn't been on FB since before Thanksgiving. He knows we expect him to reach out for help himself, and it's just easier for him to find someone new to pity him. So he did. Last I heard he had conned some girl into sharing an apartment with him. Wha...? He has no job, he has no money, why would you do that? How badly is this going to turn out? I live in dread. We are going on two weeks vacation at the end of the month that between the thought that I may lose my job (I'm not even going into it) and what may happen with him I don't know that I can actually enjoy it. It was almost better when we hadn't heard from him in five years. At least I could tell myself that he was doing ok. Now I know it can still be as bad as when he was a boy.

H

HaoZi

I just opened this morning's paper (very small very local paper) and found this in the editorial section (obviously not written locally)

TerryJ2

Great essay!

I didn't know that about Szasz and Goff and how pervasive their views were.

I do know that a lot of the reaction in the 60s was from the over-institutionalization that took place in the past 300 yrs, and how it was used to contain women who got in men's way. (Patrick Henry's wife was kept in a straightjacket in the basement because she "developed an antipathy towards her husband and her family." (Probably postpartum depression after the birth of her 6th child. She married him at age 16.)

There is a famous book that helped turn things around, which you may be able to find at ABE or other used book sites online, WILL THERE EVER BE A MORNING? by Francis Farmer.

But then, as the essayist points out, Americans thought it cruel to hold anyone against their will, even if they could not care for themselves, and look where that has gotten us.

TerryJ2

Witzend, yes, I think that's why we're all sadly and morbidly fascinated by this topic, because this family could be any one of us, to certain degrees.

DammitJanet

I do think its completely idiotic to think that anyone who severely mentally ill has the ability to decide what is in their best interests but I also would fight to my death about being told what I should be doing. Dilemma huh?

Would I be one they would lock up? If you look at my paperwork and all that stuff, I might be. Though I have never shown a propensity to violence at least in any formal documents.

TerryJ2

have never shown a propensity to violence

That's what it boils down to. Never mind if you are capable of taking care of yourself.

TerryJ2

Here's the article, in case some people can't get the link to work:
Ariz. Shooting Victim Makes Threats at Meeting

James Eric Fuller Made Threats Towards Tea Party Leader Over Gun Control Comments at Town Hall Meeting for ABC

• In an unexpected twist to the Arizona shootings, a man wounded in the attack was arrested and taken in for a psychiatric exam after he yelled "You're dead!' at a political activist at town hall meeting, authorities say.

James Eric Fuller, 63, was detained on misdemeanor disorderly conduct and threat charges Saturday during the event taped for ABC's "This Week" television program, Pima County sheriff's spokesman Jason Ogan said.

Fuller apparently became upset when Trent Humphries, a leader in the independent tea party movement, suggested that conversations about gun control be delayed until all the dead from the Jan. 8 shooting were buried, KGUN-TV in Tucson reported.

Authorities said he took a picture of the leader and yelled "You're dead!"

Complete Coverage: Tragedy in Tucson

Ogan said deputies decided he needed a mental health evaluation and he was taken to a hospital.

Fuller, who said he was hit in the knee and back, was one of 19 people shot at a Safeway store in Tuscon. Six people died in that attack and Rep. Gabrielle Giffords remains in critical condition with a bullet wound to the head.

Giffords was continuing to progress Saturday, with doctors replacing the breathing tube that connected her to a ventilator with a tracheotomy tube in her windpipe. They could soon know if she can speak. Doctors also installed a feeding tube.

Gallery: Arizona Shooting Victims

The New York Times reported that Fuller said last week he had been having trouble sleeping after he was attacked.

The paper said in an interview last week, Fuller repeatedly denounced the "Tea Party crime syndicate," and said he placed some of the blame for the shooting on Sarah Palin and other Republican leaders, saying they had contributed to a toxic atmosphere.

Meanwhile, as Tucson attempted to heal, the Safeway supermarket reopened and a memorial of flowers quickly grew outside.

Randy Larson, 57, came by to shop but instead found himself sitting quietly on the curb choking back tears.

"I can't come here and go about my day as usual," he said. "Why should it be usual for me when it's not for the victims?"

Elsewhere in town, an organization called Crossroads of the West held a gun show, one of many it hosts in several Western states. An estimated crowd of 4,000 showed up, though the mood was less upbeat than past shows, organizer Bob Templeton said. Gun enthusiasts mingled in the county fairgrounds building, discussing Second Amendment rights and buying handguns, rifles and other weapons.

The group considered canceling the event, but decided Tuesday it would go on, said Templeton, adding that the shooting was not about gun rights, but rather "a deranged person who was able to carry out whatever his agenda was."

Also Saturday, Pima Community College released a video that shows suspected shooter Jared Loughner, 22, giving an improvised nighttime campus tour and rambling about free speech and the Constitution.

Loughner provides an angry narration that includes statements such as, "I'm gonna be homeless because of this school," and calling Pima "a genocide school." College officials confirmed that the video, discovered on YouTube, led them to suspend Loughner from school on Sept. 29.

Giselle

I think it's absolutely horrible for ABC to stage a town hall meeting in a quest for ratings and have people there who have just experienced the most traumatic event of their lives thrown in with a polarizing figure like Humphries. If I had just been shot twice (like Fuller) and witnessed the murder of 6 people - all the chaos and terror of that event - I might lose it when confronted with a big pro gun advocate like Humphries too - who's calling himself a victim of the events, because he feels his ideology is being "attacked." Those victims need counseling for PTSD, not to be exploited by ABC. Fuller is probably still taking painkillers, and he's baffled and angry, and may not even be in touch with the terror of that event yet. I don't believe anyone could experience being shot and having people blown apart right in front of you - a child, the elderly - in a place you felt safe, and not be extremely traumatized, whether you push it aside and try to think you're o.k. or not. I'm sure his emotions are very raw.