PT, Occupational Therapist (OT), S/L and psychiatric(therapist) evaluations done

buddy

Well, we finished the last two evaluations this week. Occupational Therapist (OT) and PT. The reports for all of these wont come in for a couple of weeks and since he used his lifetime limits years ago, no biggie they just need a new authorization (lol, hopefully not as big a fiasco as the recent patch issue....sigh). In the past that has not been a problem.

So all of them said he qualifies. That was not surprise except for PT. I guess I figured what everyone told me over the years... he gets by fine so not really needed. But PT saw lots of room for improvement and thought what I was hoping....that every little edge we can give him is worth a shot.

NOW????? How the heck to schedule all of this. As I said in the Occupational Therapist (OT) update... really tricky to try to figure out how to schedule with each one recommending twice weekly except counseling..that is already scheduled every other week after school.

We may need to do sp/lang in summer only. He gets direct sp.lang in school but not Occupational Therapist (OT) or PT so those take priority to me.

Will be interesting to see the actual test scores. I am just so relieved he was a rock star.

The pt thought she would start with the running parts to wear him out... I am SO glad she told me. I suggested to do that last since he loses his mind when he does gross motor stuff like that. Sure enough as I was waiting.... I start hearing a voice and stomps etc... She was at that part and he just could not stop talking really loud, had no breaks to stop once started and was very revved up. Her eyes were huge as they came out!

InsaneCdn

Buddy, the whole scheduling thing?
Don't even TRY to do all at once.

Favorite therapist warned me of this way back before we had enough pieces to worry about scheduling...

Better off to do high-intensity on one or two, get those to a certain point, then go high-intensity on another couple...
Better off to do Occupational Therapist (OT) 2x/week for 3 months, and then switch to PT 2x/week for 3 months, than to try and to each one, weekly.
(notice... this way, its the same # of appts across 6 months... just timing that's different)

Its just too much transitioning.

buddy

yeah, we have done it all before... there are definitely limits... just that it also depends on availability of appointments and how long the authorizations last. I have asked them to check because in summer we can really put the push on. I feel that the motor stuff is really what we need. the counseling is only every other week so no biggie. I like the idea of doing more intensive and rotating. We actually tried to do this in the schools once.... three months of intensive can sometimes actually remediate a problem and once weekly for short sessions over a long time often meant kids forgot what they learned in between. Many of us advocated for that.

T

TeDo

Let me guess.....school didn't see any Occupational Therapist (OT) or PT problems? I am glad there are things that can be done. We are doing Occupational Therapist (OT) and Speech every Tuesday morning. We shorten our school days that day to make room for the appts. The appts are NECESSARY for difficult child 1 to be successful in school. Any chance you could do something like that.....late start twice a week (1 Occupational Therapist (OT) & 1 PT) and after school twice a week or early out (1 each)....only if the rotating thing doesn't work out. Just an idea.

buddy

I have NO problem doing it in the school day. I would prefer he spend less time there, LOL! the trick is his flipping out over not having his normal school routine. His life honestly runs around bus, school, bus... So hard to do but I am certainly considering it. More because all the after school spots are already filled.

T

TeDo

Maybe you could let him know your dilemma (in a way he understands) and see if HE can come up with times, events, etc MIGHT work. It might be a little less traumatic for him if you work with him on it? Just an idea. I know he's much more rigid than difficult child 1 but it's a thought.

buddy

He already told me NO MORE leaving school for appointments.... sorry dude... not going to school tues as he has TWO in the morning and one after school. He might go in late but... there are no after school appointments so I made them both on one day so he only has to miss the bus once.

Ktllc

I have no advise for the scheduling nightmare (myself deal with that issue quite a bit, but it spreads over 3 kids and only me being with them full-time).
But I am SO glad there is room for improvement. Q is young yet and it must bring much hope to you to know that he has not reached his full potential.

JJJ

Depending on what kind of classroom he is in, maybe change him to a 4 day a week school kid and use that 5th day to do all of his appointments? Course, that wont work if he's mainstreamed

buddy

He isn't JJJ and with the frequency of dr appointments I actually did think of doing that. there is a day when his docs are all in their clinics that would work IF there are any day time openings at the therapy center. (LOL I know school would love it, haha)