Pumpkin question (kind of stupid)

mstang67chic

Going Green
I've decided to try my hand at making a pumpkin pie from scratch. No, I have no idea what's gotten into me. :tongue:

Anyhoo....I have my baking pumpkin cleaned, sliced and in the oven now. I also have a large pumpkin to carve. I thought since I have a multitude of pumpkin seeds, that I would roast them. I was going to look online for directions/recipe but if anyone has one, let's see it!

My question is...since the baking pumpkins are a different variety than the carving pumpkins, do I have to do the seeds differently?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Roasted pumpkin seeds are easy to make. Pick all the 'goop' off of the seeds, rinse them well, and then soak in a strong salt water solution for a few hours.

Drain them and dry them. Place on an oiled cookie sheet in a single layer and roast at 375 just until they are starting to brown.

You can sprinkle them with more salt during/after cooking if you'd like.

I like the Mexican version, where they are sprinkled with chili powder during cooking.

Mattsmom277

Thats how I roast my pumpkin seeds too. They are so delicious! I've never seen a difference when I've roasted from both types of pumpkins so just mix em up together :)

I like them nice and simple, just loaded with salt during and after roasting. However some funky spices would be yummy too! Now I might have to try making a bit of both. Some kick to them would be delicious and I've never thought of it!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
You can also do the seeds from (winter) hard squashes the exact same way.

Both pumpkin and squash seeds are also tasty if given a good shot of FRESH lemon or lime juice to go along with the 'funky' seasonings.

When I say 'chili' power, I mean actual powdered dried peppers, not the mixture sold for flavoring chili stews and soups.

There's a large variety of pepper powders available out there, especially if you live in an area with a large Hispanic -population.

Avoid Cayenne and Habanero and Pequin pepper unless you have a chrome plated gullet. Those will take your head off.

I like Chipotle Chile Powder. It is made from powdered smoked Jalepenos. It is only mildly hot and imparts a slightly sweet and smoky taste to the seeds.

The other advantage to Chipotle is that if you go to any major grocery store, you can find it in with the other major name brand spices.

mstang67chic

Going Green
It's 8:30 now and I'm not carving my other pumpkin tonight. (Pies are in the oven....I'll let you know how they turn out!)
Can I wash tonight's seeds and stick them in the frig overnight?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
No problem with holding the seeds. Just put them in a sealed container or baggie so they don't dry out.

You want the brine at room temperature so let the seeds warm back up before putting them into the salt water