Puppies dead

A dad

So here is the problem at my job there are tons of stray dogs and they began atacking employees. So as someone who is reaponsible for their safety I had to intervene and I called the pound.
SO they caught a lot of them but tjey found 2 sets of puppies and and not their mothers so the choice was this let them all live, kill them all or kill a part of them. There where 13 of them in total. I chose for the eutnasiation of 7 of them all females.
WHy females well far cheaper to castrate them and no more puppies.
THey where all about 2 weeks old so no way for them to live without their mother at the pound.
THis still makes me feel so bad. Yes as I lived the country life many animals died at my hands mostly pigs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, weasles and rats. But it was an long time ago and the puppies did not die at my hand but I feel awful like the first time I killed an pig.
WHy I am saying this here well this forum helps me feel better.

Copabanana

Dear a dad:

I would be sick at heart too.
tons of stray dogs and they began atacking employees. So as someone who is responsible for their safety
You were not acting as an individual person. You were acting in your capacity as a manager for the safety and the wellbeing of the business.

If this was about human beings, I would respond in a different way.

If the puppies could not have lived (at 2 weeks old, how could they have lived?) you were acting, I think humanely for the puppies. Where would the funds have come from to spay the females and could that have been done at 2 weeks? Was there a shelter willing to keep the puppies until they were of the age that they could be safely spayed? And without a mother how would these puppies have been socialized? And for what would they be kept alive? To become homeless strays for the rest of their lives?

Where I live there are so many abandoned and unwanted pets, that organizations come from other states to get them. I used to go and visit the shelter. Now I cannot bear it.

You were put in a situation due to the responsibilities of your job. Your job is to take responsibility. You did. You did this because you are paid to make good decisions for the company. These were not human beings. There are ethical practices with animals, and these animals did not suffer. I believe you behaved ethically and responsibly. But in a very, very hard situation, for somebody who is kind.

I hope you forgive yourself. You did not choose to expose these animals to suffering. If anything, given the likely options that I can think of, this was one route that foreclosed further suffering.

I feel very bad, too.

I know you are an animal lover. I was almost the other day going to ask you how your 2 dogs were getting along that had the personality conflict.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
it is sad people are not responsible pet owners, and the animals suffer. It was humane, but sad all the same.

runawaybunny

Administrator
Staff member
You were faced with a very sad situation and making very difficult choices. You chose what you believe to be the most practical, while still being humane. I'm sorry you had bear the burden of making those choices.

AppleCori

I'm so sorry that you had to deal with this, adad.
I know how much you love animals, particularly dogs.

Is there any way to get your municipality to work harder to get the dogs off the streets and stop their breeding?

Apple

Lil

I agree, you did what you had to do. The puppies would not have survived without their mother, making euthanasia the only real choice. I'm sorry this is troubling you. It shows what a kind heart you truly have.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
What a difficult decision you had to make. I think you did the right thing. You did the responsible thing.
My heart goes out to you.

pigless in VA

I know that was a tough decision, but I agree that you did your best in a bad situation. I think you made a wise choice. Please forgive yourself.

A dad

Well I am strangely okay about this. See this reminded me of something pf why I while always put a human being above an animal. You see in spite of popular belief animals care more about self preservation then their own offspring's. I knew this I just needed to be reminded this. Their mothers left choosing her own safety over their pups. Every animal does this even the great lioness chooses her safety over her pups when a new male takes over the pride.

I know it sound harsh of me but yeah we put them on a higher standing then they really are. I love animals but I never felt as bad when an pet of mine died as much as fellow human friend died. Its sad what happens with a large par of the pups but I do no longer feel bad.

About the municipality no they can not do a thing there to few people who can catch him and as proven in this case they are not very good at it.

Lil

Lil. I look for your posts. And there are so few lately. How are you and Jabber doing? I will look for Jabberposts now.

Thanks Copa. I won't hijack a dad's post, but rest assured no news is okay news. We're doing well. Son is still in Colorado and Jabber and I are kind of moving on. We still talk to son now and then. He will text about some movie I've seen or ask a question. Says his girlfriend is getting a car soon and he expects they'll head this way for a visit. Last I heard, still unemployed and living off her in the dorm, but both looking for work and planning on trying to find a place to live during the summer.

We'll see.

Jabberwockey

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but just noticed this post. Seeing things like this sickens me. Not your actions, but the fact that others behaved so irresponsibly by abandoning their "pets" rather than do the right thing and honor the commitment they made when they first got the animal.

Having grown up in the country, I've seen this a lot over the years and anyone who has lived in the country can verify it. People from the city (Yes, HUGE overgeneralization here. Sorry.), like most others, tend to get pets based on current trends which means that more often than not, they end up with a pet way to large for their small apartment. Instead of being responsible and trying to rehome the animal, a lot of the time people will drive out to the country and drop the animal off near a farm. The common misconception is that the farmer/country dweller with the large yard wont mind taking care of one more dog. They already have so many after all. The reality is that the animal probably wont be taken in by anyone and will become feral and, as noted in adad's original post, will become a danger not only to local wildlife but to human beings as well.

And Copa, I haven't been posting much lately.

Copabanana

Every animal does this even the great lioness chooses her safety over her pups
Well, a dad, I think human mothers do this too, the majority of them. The only difference is that in human society I think we have THE IDEAL that we should protect our young. They say there is a biological impulse to protect your young, in human mothers. But it really does vary I think from person to person.

I think that is what brings so many mothers here to CD. Those of us here seem to be unable without effort to overcome the compulsion to protect, ADULT MEN AND WOMEN who are willfully or otherwise failing to thrive. Here we learn.
We still talk to son now and then.
a dad. Forgive me for hijacking just a tiny bit your thread. (I still want to know about your 2 male dogs who were not getting along.)

Lil. A question. Do you think this new iteration with son and your relationship, where he is removed completely from your orbit, independent and self-sufficient to whatever extent he can manage or chooses to--and you guys uninvolved with telling him/coaching him/pressuring him/helping him/guiding him/enforcing anything--with no deadlines or consequences, *you get the drift--is it BETTER for him? (Not that you do not matter. But my question is about him.)

Not to say that you did all those things. But I do, unfortunately, when my son is near me.

I want to know if you believe him about trying to find a job, a place--if you believe that your distance, itself--is helpful...and that alone his own desire to survive and thrive to the extent he has it, will better kick in?

I know that OUR WELFARE must kick in here somewhere, that the costs to us, and how much better your lives are is paramount. But I am asking you now that you have the perspective of the past number of months, what you are thinking about a non-interventionist vs interventionist policy?

Thank you a dad. This is sort of related to mothers letting go their babies. Your thread.

Jabberwockey

You see in spite of popular belief animals care more about self preservation then their own offspring's. I knew this I just needed to be reminded this. Their mothers left choosing her own safety over their pups. Every animal does this even the great lioness chooses her safety over her pups when a new male takes over the pride.

Oddly enough, this is an inherent biological imperative for the survival of the species. If the lioness choses to fight for her cubs when the new alpha takes over the pride, she AND her cubs will die. If she dies then she has no chance to propagate the species. Its the same reason you will rarely see alpha animals fight to the death in the wild. Dying does nothing to advance the species. Survival of the fittest and you cant be the fittest or survive if you're not breathing or are severely injured in the fight.

A dad

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but just noticed this post. Seeing things like this sickens me. Not your actions, but the fact that others behaved so irresponsibly by abandoning their "pets" rather than do the right thing and honor the commitment they made when they first got the animal.

Having grown up in the country, I've seen this a lot over the years and anyone who has lived in the country can verify it. People from the city (Yes, HUGE overgeneralization here. Sorry.), like most others, tend to get pets based on current trends which means that more often than not, they end up with a pet way to large for their small apartment. Instead of being responsible and trying to rehome the animal, a lot of the time people will drive out to the country and drop the animal off near a farm. The common misconception is that the farmer/country dweller with the large yard wont mind taking care of one more dog. They already have so many after all. The reality is that the animal probably wont be taken in by anyone and will become feral and, as noted in adad's original post, will become a danger not only to local wildlife but to human beings as well.

And Copa, I haven't been posting much lately.
USually in the country side we do not have a lot of stray dogs wolves and beats and other powerful wild carnivores kill them and eat them. They are an delicacy for such animals. The problem comes in urban areas where such predator are not.

Jabberwockey

USually in the country side we do not have a lot of stray dogs wolves and beats and other powerful wild carnivores kill them and eat them.

That's the problem around here. The only large predators left are coyotes and they are smallish/medium sized dogs. One on one with say a german shepard and the coyote gets its butt kicked. They do tend to run in packs but that's why the feral dogs do the same thing.

Copabanana

"Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals." Martin Luther King Jr.

I just saw this on your signature. Thank you Jabber.