Purses....(too burned out from a long week to think of a catchy title)

AppleCori

I saw a couple of purse references on the discount-store thread, so I started wondering what kind of purses everyone uses.

Do you like a specific brand/brands?

How many do you have?

Do you go for basic brown and black, or do you have colorful ones for different outfits?

What is the most you have ever spent on a purse?

Describe your favorite purse.

Do you even care about purses?

Does a friend have a purse you secretly covet?

What is the strangest thing in your purse right now?

Have you ever sold your old ones on eBay/other community board?

Have you ever done a “purse scavenger hunt”? I was a a convention once (all women) and they did this. It was quite interesting to see what people inadvertently carry around with them. I have done this at other smaller gatherings, and it’s been quite entertaining.

Feel free to add in any other purse-related info I may have overlooked.

Let’s have some fun!

Lil

Usually I carry a smallish, maroon/red purse with a cross-body strap that is small enough to fit in my messenger bag that I carry to work. That way when I have my messenger bag, I only have one bag to carry. But, my little purse has seen better days and I'd really like to get another one. I don't remember where I bought this, but I expect Wal-Mart. That's pretty much where I get purses because I just don't see the point of buying something fancy and expensive, though I would like to have a real leather one again.

I have a Miche bag, MICHE Bag but I have it because someone else bought it for me, along with several covers. I like it, but it's HEAVY. You can't stick a purse full of metal and magnets and not have it be heavy. So, I pretty much never carry it.

My favorite bag however, is my chicken purse. Seriously. I love it beyond all reason. It appeals to my sense of humor. I didn't carry it at all last year, but I think I need to break it out for Spring this year.

Behold, the wonder that is The Chicken Purse!
(Yes. It is a rubber chicken.)

Capture.PNG

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Chicken-Purse-Hen-Handbag/dp/B001G8N95I

Last edited:

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I seem to buy most of my purses at TJ Maxx. I hate to change them for outfits (my coworker does daily and I would rather take a sharp stick to the eye).

I am using a light gray leather crossbody (the Sak) now and prior to that I had a smaller old Coach purse in black that still looks very good. In the summer I have a black and white one I carry and when we go to bars or bike riding or such I use a smaller crossbody mainly to carry my big phone! I have several of those.

The most I think I've ever spent is around $50. I'm more into shoes than purses!

That scavenger game sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe I'll play that on my next girl's weekend.

AppleCori

Took a while, but I got one to post.

I love it!

I bet it’s a conversation starter, anywhere you go.

I used to have a little red purse with a cross-body strap that I loved. I got compliments on it everywhere I went. I bought it at this old-fashioned drug store in my old hometown for about $20 when I was visiting a few years ago. The strap started looking bad after only a few months, and started getting loose from the purse. I kept it way longer than I should have.

AppleCori

I am using a light gray leather crossbody (the Sak) now and prior to that I had a smaller old Coach purse in black that still looks very good.

That scavenger game sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe I'll play that on my next girl's weekend.

I love my Coach purses! I have two. I have used them for several years, and they still look great. I have a black one and a tan one. My daughter gave them to me. They were gifts from her x-fiancé, and she has several others. The most expensive purse he ever bought her was a Gucci. He bought her several, one cost $4k. That seems ridiculous.

Yes, the scavenger game is fun!

Lil

Well, my daughter said “no” to me carrying the chicken purse around....teens....

Kids these days. No class at all.

Seriously, I've had total strangers - MEN - come up to me and ask to look at the purse. :D BEST thing was when I went to a Lambert's restaurant. Now, for those not in the know, Lamberts is a local phenomenon...it has a few locations so I guess it's technically a chain, but only in southern Missouri and further south. It's claim to fame - other than HUGE portions of down-home style comfort food is "throwed rolls"...which is exactly what it sounds like. You want a dinner roll, some guy will pitch you one - by hand - from across the restaurant. (They do wear gloves.) Yes, you catch hot fresh buttery rolls in your bare hands that some guy throws to you from like 40 feet away.

Anyway, I carried the chicken purse into a Lambert's. The waiter actually picked it up off my table to look at and the hostess came over later and took it and carried it around showing it to people. I was like queen of the throwed rolls place.
:rofl:

AppleCori

Kids these days. No class at all.

Seriously, I've had total strangers - MEN - come up to me and ask to look at the purse. :D BEST thing was when I went to a Lambert's restaurant. Now, for those not in the know, Lamberts is a local phenomenon...it has a few locations so I guess it's technically a chain, but only in southern Missouri and further south. It's claim to fame - other than HUGE portions of down-home style comfort food is "throwed rolls"...which is exactly what it sounds like. You want a dinner roll, some guy will pitch you one - by hand - from across the restaurant. (They do wear gloves.) Yes, you catch hot fresh buttery rolls in your bare hands that some guy throws to you from like 40 feet away.

Anyway, I carried the chicken purse into a Lambert's. The waiter actually picked it up off my table to look at and the hostess came over later and took it and carried it around showing it to people. I was like queen of the throwed rolls place.
:rofl:

We will try Lambert’s next time we drive that way! I go through Missouri at least a couple times a year.

OMG—my daughter has no sense of humor, it seems!

She even threatens to pretend she doesn’t know us when hubby asks if he can start dancing in the grocery store....

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
We have cousins that own a clothing and accessories store so we get a family discount. They carry a brand of purse Jane Yoo - wearable art. I'm on my second one as they wear like iron - good quality leather. The purses are painted. This one isn't mine but it gives you an idea. There are many different styles to choose from.
I like them because they are unique.

upload_2018-4-13_11-7-39.png

The strangest thing in my purse is something I have carried in my purse for almost 20 years. It's a tiny little bottle of binaca breath freshener. You see, it was in my mothers purse and when she died unexpectedly my dad asked me and my sisters if there was anything we wanted from her personal belongings. I picked this little bottle of binaca.

I also have 2 collapsible shopping bags. They are nylon and fold into a little pouch and yet they are quite large bags and hold a good amount of goods. I try to live on the green so I like having these bags in my purse at the ready.

Fun thread.

Copabanana

The chicken purse! Priceless.

I have many purses all bought at thrift. Except for fabric sak bags I like leather. For day to day i like a leather hobo which is a shoulder bag. The current one be is a black Dooney and Burke. It is very rugged and durable. This has been my favorite type of bag for my entire adulthood. Except for very occasional coach crossbodies.

Copabanana

Tanya. Your purse is gorgeous.

I forgot. I have the last couple of purses my mother used in her life hanging in the hall. With her stuff. Checks. Drivers license. Everything. Mine I put on a small bench below. She still has pride of place. Very sad as I type this.

AppleCori

I rarely have anything unusual in mine. I didn’t get even one item at the convention scavenger hunt.

However, I decided to go through my purse just now (inspired by the thread and the fact that it’s been a while). I have a little foldable schedule of the state’s semi-pro baseball team that I picked up the other day, and a tape measure. OK, maybe not the strangest things ever.

Lil

Oh gosh! I forgot about the "strangest thing" part of the question. Hmm. I thought of the fact that I always carry matches and a cigarette lighter, even though I haven't smoked in over a year, or my tiny flashlight, or my chain-maile keyring that has no keys...but strangest? Prepare for too much information!

I'd have to say the strangest thing I have is a glow-in-the-dark "adult novelty" that I got out of a little bathroom vending machine in an shabby little gas station in the middle-of-nowhere Kansas, where we made a pit-stop when Jabber and I went to visit our son. I just found the machine so funny - haven't seen one of those in years - that I bought it as a joke. Obviously, Jabber didn't want it...so it's still in my purse!
:916blusher:

AppleCori

Oh gosh! I forgot about the "strangest thing" part of the question. Hmm. I thought of the fact that I always carry matches and a cigarette lighter, even though I haven't smoked in over a year, or my tiny flashlight, or my chain-maile keyring that has no keys...but strangest? Prepare for too much information!

I'd have to say the strangest thing I have is a glow-in-the-dark "adult novelty" that I got out of a little bathroom vending machine in an shabby little gas station in the middle-of-nowhere Kansas, where we made a pit-stop when Jabber and I went to visit our son. I just found the machine so funny - haven't seen one of those in years - that I bought it as a joke. Obviously, Jabber didn't want it...so it's still in my purse!
:916blusher:

You would have won one of the categories in the scavenger hunt!

(I feel so boring. Me and my tape measure.....)

(Of course, that depends on WHY I have a tape measure in my purse....)

Last edited: