Pushing buttons

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We did not start off very well today in the GCV household. My 5:15 alarm either did not go off, or I just don't remember turning it off. So when I woke with a start at 6:45 and muttered "oh shirt" because difficult child 1 was going to be late for school, I was pretty much doomed.

I flew downstairs and woke him -- no time to give him his Focalin (he's supposed to be there at 6:50, which is already 25 min. later than the rest of his class, but his teacher lets him come at that time since I have to get up so early to give him his medications). I hand him a Daytrana patch to put on and then rush to the kitchen to find something for him to eat quickly.

I go back to his room and he's still in bed! GAAAAAH!!! He's grumbling and grouchy because he's tired. I tell him I'm sorry, that's too bad, hurry up and get dressed! I'm in panic mode (my first mistake -- well, second mistake after blowing the alarm clock). He's in birtch and moan mode. The two don't mix.

Now he has to use the toilet. And not quickly. :(

I hand him his other morning medications (crohn's, allergy & anxiety stuff) through the door with a small muffin and glass of milk.

He finally comes out and goes to his room to get dressed. Puts on the exact same clothes he wore yesterday. I tell him to take off the old shirt and I dig out a clean one. I give him socks. I hand him money for lunch since there's no time to make one. I tell him I'll drive him today. He's grumbling and whining about being tired still. I'm impatient and tired too and snap at him to just deal with it, he's LATE. That was a bad move.

He can't find his shoes. He forgets his backpack in his room. I'm losing it. We finally get in the car and he's mad at me. He's complaining about being tired. He says he's allowed to be late. I remind him that he's beyond the late that his teacher lets him come in. I remind him that he's only allowed so many unexcused tardies or absences and he could be dropped from the class. He's getting rude and disrespectful. I start lecturing him about being responsible and sometimes having to deal with situations regardless of how we feel, yada, yada, yada. He tells me, well, actually yells at me that I don't know how he feels, that he doesn't care if he's late (by this time we're about 1/4 of the way to school) and to just shut up.

And that was my final straw that made me break. So I pulled over and told him to get out, and to have a nice day and called him a butthead in some not-so-nice terms and went back home.

I don't know if he got to class on time. When I was driving easy child to school at 7:25, I could see difficult child 1 about 50 yards past the intersection where his campus is located. So he was almost there. But he didn't seem to be in too much of a hurry. He might have made it for the last 10 minutes of class.

Hopefully both our days will go better. I just have such a hard time dealing with him when he's unmedicated, and he has a hard time dealing with me dealing with him (if that makes sense). :faint:

H

hoobear

GCV-
I'm sorry you had such a rough morning. Those alarm clocks have a mind of their own sometimes. Sending you good wishes for a better rest of the day.

Holly

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Ugh! You and yours have been having such a rough time lately. I'm so sorry.

You are just human, all of you. Since I got to meet you, I find myself wondering HOW you would deal with OUR household's scenarios. In a way it's good for me to see that things go South for you too. Just sharing the pain.

Speaking of going South, how would you like to run away with me? I was going to ask TPaul but I'm afraid he might get the wrong idea!

Marguerite

There are some days when it's best to just roll over and go back to sleep - the day's already a write-off for all concerned. Do humanity a favour and cancel the day. You would then have 23 hours to get ready and set the alarm correctly.

When these things happen it's generally a sign that everybody is desperately short of sleep!

Marg

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thank you, one and all :) Shari, I love the equation -- SO true!

He said he did make it to class, though not for long. I checked his attendance online and it looks like the teacher didn't even mark him tardy.

His attitude was fine when he got home. Later in the evening on the way to soccer practice, he said something about being tired because of having to walk to school that morning, and I reminded him that his mouth was to thank for that (okay, AND my impatience). He was genuinely remorseful. He always is afterwards.

It was rather ironic that my NAMI class last night focused on Collaborative Problem Solving with our kids and how to avoid confrontations just like this one! Serves me right, I s'pose.

TPaul

Idecor8
Shadows and GVC

WE'RE GOING ON A ROAD TRIP!!!
WE'RO GOING ON A ROAD TRIP!!!

OH, MY, WHERE DID I PUT MY CARRY ALL,I'LL NEED AT LEAST PAIRS OF CLEAN UNDERWEAR, HAIR JELL, SOME COLOGNE, AND GOOD WALKING SHOES. OH, AND CAN'T FORGET SOME MUNCHIES FOR THE CAR WHILE WE ARE RUNNING AWAY FOR SOME PEACE AND QUIET!

OH, WHERE CAN WE GO??? HOW LONG CAN WE STAY GONE, DO WE HAVE TO COME BACK???????:surprise:
WE'RO GOING ON A ROAD TRIP!!!