Put your diagnosis hats on and...

InsaneCdn

Hi -

Here's a skill-testing question with no answer and no clues...

What would be some "drop-dead" differences, for an adult, between Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD) and Aspie? (not that it couldn't be both, but...)

Just wondering...
Thanks!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Do you mean Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Aspie?

And well it could be both.........sort of as those on the autistic spectrum tend to have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) type behavior in that they often hyper focus on an area of interest. Travis' is science fiction, Star Trek, Star Wars ect and computers. Notice I said IS. lol

I may be wrong but I don't think they call the behavior Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) as it's actually part of the autistic makeup......

Your big tell tale sign will probably still be in the area of social. husband is aspie........put him in a group of people, even family, and you just plane can't miss it. Even in his 60's he has troubles with social cues, conversations ect. Same with his cousin, whom usually can only talk about the civil war with ease and comfort...........unfortunately he will not stop talking about it once you get him started so everyone tries very hard never to get him started. lol

flutterby

Fly away!
Social interaction - social skills, reading body language, catching nuances and innuendos, ability to comprehend sarcasm - those kinds of things.

Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD) is quite a bit different from Asperger's.

InsaneCdn

HD - not Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), but Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD) - obsessive-compulsive personality disorder. Its a little related to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), except that its not the "usual" obsessions and compulsions... there's a DVSM (did I get those in the right order) manual entry for it... separate from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

One of us has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Suspect someone else up the line somewhere has Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD)... but... maybe its a raft of other things too.

The social thing is hard to tell... he is so obsessively rules-oriented that he seems to have learned many/most of the "social rules"... but reacts a little differently to some forms of humor, takes things overly personal, gets really tied in knots about "stuff" as opposed to "people"...

The "obsessively-rules-oriented" part... could be Aspie, or could be Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD)...

keista

In a single word, social "awkwardness" is the difference.

My Dad, at age 78, is actually very popular. He managed to learn the basics of social pleasantries, even to the point of constantly inviting ppl to his house. The drop dead, no doubt about it, Oh Yeah, he's an Aspie behavior is that once the guests are in the living room, his wife is in the kitchen preparing food, his latest video/DVD is playing on the TV (he's the photo/video guy for the community), he goes in to the adjoining room and reads the paper. If the guests start asking too many questions about the video, he'll come out, tell them they've seen enough of that one, put in another one, and go back to his paper. This drives his current wife NUTS! She feels she then has get the food ready AND entertain. I have repeatedly told her to stop fretting that all his old friends know this about him and accept it. But she argues, these are NEW ppl he just met, and what will they think? What will they say? I ask her Who cares? If they don't like it, they'll never come back. "New" ppl they tell may decide not to accept an invite. This equals less work and stress for her. But, she continues, they'll talk to everyone in the community. So? Anyone who knows him will just say Yup, that sounds about right, did you enjoy his videos? Isn't she a great cook? by the way neither of them knows he's an ASPIE. They don't know his grandson is an ASPIE either. They just know that the two are alike in many many ways. :bigsmile:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ahhh..........ok. I see where it's got you stumped. And I wish I could un-stump you but I can't really.

As a child Travis was obsessively rules oriented as well as routine oriented.......Does not seem to be that way so much as an adult, although his routine fell by the way side as an adult too. Humor.....yeah, the taking things too personal would be husband. Travis' sense of humor is still sort of out in left field somewhere. lol Although with those two I'm talking two different levels of functioning as well.

And the "stuff" as opposed to "people" could also be an autistic trait. One that they both tend to share......as stuff is just easier to deal with than people on the whole.

I also know a few adults on the spectrum who are obsessed with rules......it seems to give them guidelines to things which they have difficulty understanding.....knowing the proper "rules" can tell them what they should do in certain situations.

Hmm. This is actually sort of interesting.

flutterby

Fly away!
The obsessiveness and rigidity in those two disorders, though, come from two different places. In Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD), it's an attempt to control one's environment in order to contain the anxiety, remain clean, etc. In developmental disorders, it comes from not understanding one's environment and being able to process all the stimuli, struggling with complex processes, etc. In the latter, those things can create anxiety. In the former, it's done to contain anxiety.