Q about Neuropsychs

susiestar

Roll With It
Hi everyone! I put this here but maybe it should go in general? Mods, please move this if it should be there, thanks.

In typing responses I noticed we use neuropsychologist as a reference a lot of times. Would it be ok to add an abbreviation for that, such as np or npdoc? It just seems to make sense.

I am open to any abbreviation, just thought it might be nice to add it to the list of abbreviations since we use it a LOT.

Opinions?

klmno

Maybe in the list where it explains what the abbreviation means, it might be a good idea to clarify that some states, such as mine, do not acknowledge or license neuropsychs- the person just needs to see if the psychiatric they get has specialized training in neuropsychologist. (The test results will clarify that it was true neuropsychologist tests given and evaluation'd.)

susiestar

Roll With It
I did a search on google for clinical neuropsychology and came up with a division of the American Psychological Association (APA). They describe neuropsychology as the study of brain-behavior relationships, and the clinical application of that knowledge to human problems (http://www.div40.org/).This is about the best description of it. I emailed the Membership Chair and asked if there was any way we could access a list of members and where they practiced. It was late this evening, so there is no reply yet. (I did NOT give the name of the site, or the addy. I simply said we are a group of parents who give each other support as we raise our special needs children.. I explained that many members spent years searching for the right diagnosis and treatment plan, but it was only after the npdoc testing that they found the answers.

I agree that a new abbreviation will need to be added to the FAQ page, but that should be doable for the mods or Cheryl. :smug:

If we can manage to get a list that we can pass around via email or PM I know many of us might be less daunted by the task of finding a npdoc. Or maybe we can get a website that we can share to keep up with changes in the list.

I hope this is not intrusive to anyone. The idea came up because I replied with similar info to 2 or 3 newbies in the last 2 days. It seems easier to have the abbreviation and also to somehow try to find a list of these docs.

Otherwise trying to find a npdoc is short of like hunting for snow snakes.

smallworld

Susie, this is my personal opinion -- not one that I've discussed with the other mods. I find the two abbreviations you've chosen confusing. I automatically think of NP as nurse practioner. I think npdoc does not accurately capture the profession because psychiatrist = psychiatrist (medical doctor) and npdoc in my mind would automatically follow as neuropsychiatrist (also medical doctor), not neuropsychologist (non-medical doctor). Even if the abbreviation is in the FAQ, it has to be an automatic association that will be obvious to anyone reading our board. JMHO.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hmm, this is a wonderful idea! I'll rack my brain for possible abbreviations.

One that came to mind? npsy? too confusing?

susiestar

Roll With It
I am totally open to any abbreviation. I mentioned those two because they were the only ones I could think of. I suggested "npdoc" because we use therapist to refer to psychologists.

Mostly I wanted to see if others had suggestions/ideas on this. I also wondered if anyone knew of ways to FIND neuropsychologists. I found the one link posted by the APA and sent them an email, though I have not gotten a reply yet.

Anyone have ideas? thoughts? opinions?? suggestions?

flutterby

Fly away!
Most newbies don't know what a neuropsychologist is to begin with and I think an abbreviation would be even more confusing - we abbreviate it as it is which causes confusion between neuropyschologist and neuropsychiatrist.