Q: Locked Metal Briefcase Contents?

HeadlightsMom

Hi all. Discovered that difficult child left a locked (combination locked), metal briefcase in our guest bedroom when he stayed that one night here right before rehab.

For those with difficult child's heavily into the drug world (ours was doing meth, heroin, etc)......

Q: What is most likely in that suitcase? DRUGS, MONEY, WEAPONS, or TOXIC CONTENTS FOR METH MANUFACTURING?

We will ask difficult child next time he calls from rehab. Should be within the next day or 2. Seeking and appreciating all of your input prior to that. Thanks!

DammitJanet

LOL...I have no idea but find another difficult child and Im sure they can get into it with no problem.
years ago I was trying to lock up my medications in every sort of container known to mankind except a safe. I couldnt afford one of those at the time so I was putting combo locks on brief cases, metal tool boxes and things like that. Cory got into each and every one of them.

Oh I doubt its for meth manufacturing or you would small something bad.

HeadlightsMom

DJ -- Thanks. True that!

Until I know conclusively what it is, I am assuming the worse (portable meth lab). So, I took it outside of the house for now. Am quite willing to take it to a nearby police station if difficult child will not tell us what it is -- AND -- give us the combination to look inside.

dstc_99

Its probably drugs or possibly important papers he was trying to keep safe. I think you have the right plan about asking him and then if he wont give you the code to verify take it to the police.

BusynMember

I'd get into it. It's in your house and he left it there. If its on your property, it's your right to know if it's drugs or a truckload of money he stole. It isn't innocent or he'd let you see it. Can you get a locksmith to open it? I'm thinking more of money than drugs, but could be either or both.

HeadlightsMom

MWM -- Our thoughts, exactly. We only believe what's verifiable. However, hadn't thought of a locksmith. Good idea. If he doesn't call today or tomorrow (or agree), we'll call the locksmith. Thanks.

HeadlightsMom

MWM -- I'm likin' your locksmith tip more and more. Called a local locksmith and told them the scenario. It's $45 for the locksmith fee, but they can only do it with police present (of course I was honest with them about the scenario).

Called difficult child's rehab trying to talk to him, but he is not available. They suggested I call back in 90-min. Will see what difficult child says/does.

Thanks for that great locksmith tip, MWM!

HeadlightsMom

Aha! That locksmith just suggested I try "0-0-0" (the factory set for all locked metal cases). I did. Voila! It opened. It was harmless (except for some red tablets which I'm guessing are a drug of some sort of another). I threw the pills out. The rest is hand sanitizer, tampons (?) and love letters to/from his girlfriend.

Whew! Nothing outlandish or illegal that I can see. Checked all possible side pockets or place to hide something. Didn't see anything.

Feeling much better about it now. Knock wood nothing new emerges.

Can any of you think of anything I've overlooked?

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

BusynMember

Well, glad it was just that, although I'd take the pills out of the garbage and to a pharmacy to see what they are.

Aside from that, your son was taunting you in a mean way by not letting you look inside or at least offering to open it for you. I don't know why they do that. difficult children really do think differently. Maybe he thinks you should just blindly trust him even though he hasn't given you a reason to trust him. They often do get mad when we don't trust them, even though they violated our trust in every way possiblej.

HeadlightsMom

MWM -- Our son wasn't here when we discovered the case. It was just in our guest bedroom amid his other stuff. Out in the open, actually, we just flat-out didn't notice it (shows you how overwhelmed we were). He still doesn't know we've opened it. Will tell him when we talk next. As it's our home, it's our right. He knows that as we say it to him all the time.

Although I do agree with you that difficult child's do seem to have a "conveniently different" way of looking at life most of the time!

Honestly, this kind of stuff just wears me out. This is little stuff from difficult child, comparatively, but the long-term, intensive, repetitive nature of it just wears me out. Took a nap and that felt great. Ahhhhh......

BusynMember

HM, I totally agree with you. My son also tries to scare me and it IS tiring. I can see him doing the same thing your son did...although it was harmless, just not telling me to make me think it IS dangerous...whatever was inside the briefcase.

It wears me out less now than it used to. Thank God for distance.I hope rehab is long term and gives you the break you need.

Hugs to you. Stay strong, and we are with you. Glad you got that nap in!

witzend

Go on YouTube & search "hack (that kind of locking briefcase)" figure out how to open it. Or just open it. It's scary what you can find.

Why would you ask him? He's in rehab. If there's nothing illegal I'd call it done. If there is, you're holding it for him and legally responsible - call the police before his druggie friends or the police show up looking for it.

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

witzend

Sorry, don't know how to edit. Did you look the tablets up online? Sounds like secobarbitol. Toss the tampons, too. They can be used to huff and snort drugs.

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app