Quackwatch

bzymomto4

you posted a while ago, so I don't know if you guys have found something helpful yet, but I decided to still post because I can so relate to your son. I have had significant problems with insomnia since childhood, but from age 19 to 33 I probably didn't see a night of sleep > 4-5 hours if I was able to sleep at all. Of course many things factored in to these problems. I too had very little luck in finding medication to be helpful. I have tried probably all of the sleep aides available but found relief with only one. Even when useing medication there are certain environmental factors I have to have in place or it's all a bust. I must have the lights in my house off or dimm before 9 pm. If the bright light or excessive noise goes on too late (like 9:45) I gennerally can't fall asleep before 1 am. I can be doing something at that time, but it can't involve physical activity (for me , I'm sure not for a teen that usually means any type of cleaning or laundry) I also can't see any bright light at night. We need a dim night light in the bathroom. When my kids were babies, I had a 25 watt blue light bulb in my room for nursing. I also was unable to even sit up during their care or I was up for the day, so my husband had a role in every feeding. I also had difficulty waking up in the morning during the times when I took Geodon or seroquil. my psychiatrist said that seroquil typicall causes that effect.

On another hand my teen had severe sleep issues ranging from barely sleeping to sleeping 18 hours a day. For him we did a formal sleep study and he was diagnosis with obstructive sleep apnea. We choose a tonsillectomy, which helped some, but cpap is also an availble treatment that we did not find helpful.

bzymomto4

I'm sorry this reply ended up here, I'm sure it doesn't make sense at all. I thought I was posting under a different thread.

sorry again.