Question about a matt in the dog

klmno

My female has a small matted area that normally I would just snip right out with a pair of barber scissors. But this happens to be right around a nipple and I don't think I can cut around there safely. She has a tomboy personality and rolls in the yard and this matt appears to be gum- apparently left on the ground by a kid. Any ideas? I don't want to let it go but don't want to go to the vet over it either. (She's a lhasa apso so she has "hair"" instead of "furr", if that makes a difference.)

smallworld

Peanut butter takes gum out. So does a product called Goo Gone, which can be found at hardware stores, but I have no idea if it's safe for dogs.

Good luck!

klmno

Well, since difficult child left an empty can of the Goo Gone in the game room, I guess I'll try the peanut butter. She's going to love that! LOL!

nvts

Third on the peanut butter! Our golden retriever got "accosted" by the difficult child's and they were laughing and the gum just "fell out" of their mouths and they knew they were "gonna get busted" so they tried one of those HUGE tubs of peanut butter and it got out of control so they thought if they added jelly it would work like that time that the peanut butter got stuck in difficult child 3's mouth: anyway, the gum was out when I found the dog rolling around on a loaf of bread.

Yup. They're GENIOUS gene wasn't working that day!

Beth

klmno

It was amazing- this was just a small matt but it was wrapped around her nipple pretty tightly. I worked a tiny bit of peanut butter around it and it pulled away from her enough that I could cut it right off! Thank you Ladies! (of course, the male dog has suffered a bit of jealousy tonight but I'm sure he will get over it. LOL!)

witzend

My dogs would be beside themselves if I rubbed peanut butter on them in a spot they couldn't reach! What torture!