Question about CASA..

witzend

I think that it is a very worthy thing to do, if you feel able to. I did victim's advocacy for victims of violence when I was younger. I hadn't thought that there was a lot that could surprise me, but the cruelty of people knows no bounds. The pig-headedness of judges who want to only listen to certain "experts" can be frustrating, too. In ways, it hardened me to be exposed to these kinds of injustices while knowing that sometimes they can never be righted, and that it can take ages for any movement at all. But, it also made me more pragmatic about many things. In a good way.

klmno

We're good at this aren't we, Janet?? LOL!!

LDM, even if your jurisdiction is not as desparate for casa, I feel sure they'll be happy to have you on board.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I'm in the other "H" locality ;-) (Hmm that could mean so many things..) I will note that the GALs I've dealt with were all very experienced lawyers, surprisingly so, actually. Funny how it's different from place to place, even within a few miles.

LittleDudesMom

Love the letter references to our area!!!! Janet, k, and crazy - you know my area right? GP?

Crazy, all GALs in this state have to be attorneys - CASAs are the volunteers.

Witz, the great thing about our state is that the judges are overwhelmingly in favor of CASAs, assign the CASAs, and our state bar is 100% behind (and initially endorsed) the CASA program.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Oh I know GALs are lawyers, I was commenting on the exprience level because k mentioned in her area the GALs seem to be very inexperienced, newer lawyers. Not so here, for whatever reason. I think it helps that we're smaller, population-wise. Maybe next year will be my CASA year, we shall see. And yup I know GP well :) Have several friends that live in that area.

DammitJanet

Crazy...I think you dont live far from my step sister but I dont know her home address off the bat.

You know the new way you can take to go from 95N to Midlothian? Cuts way west around the city. I have only done it a time or two but it takes you out up there by KD. I think she lives somewhere around in that area.

JJJ

I was a CASA for a while. I had to stop because my children's needs skyrocketed. I am hoping to go back when my kids are grown. My case was a single mother with 7 children - 7 different dads. When I was brought on board, the kids were split into two placements and the baby remained with mom. I was with them for over a year when I had to resign. By then, two of the children had been reunified with their dad's, two were placed for permanent guardianship with their grandma, and 3 were in a pre-adoptive home. CASA's are trained to not have any pre-conceived notions about what is best. Of course, everyone comes to situations with their own life history impacting them.

CASA is a wonderful experience. But, how much time do your children take? This is only 10-15 hours a month but it can be emotionally intense.