Question about fans and hot weather

N

Nomad

husband and I go to Central Fla a lot to visit our easy child son and his wife.

The heat REALLY bothers me. Some days, I actually feel sick there. It is warm where I live, but we usually have a breeze.

I have seen advertisements for that Dyson Fan, but it is crazy expensive. Has anyone bought one or knows of anyone who actually has one and feels like it is worth it?

I'm going up there for another extended stay and I REALLY don't want to be overheated again. Where I was staying and even my son's home ac can NOT keep up with the heat outside.

Other than wearing shorts and drinking lots of water (I did both things), what else can one do to stay cool in such unusually hot weather? And what about that Dyson Fan?????

Thanks. :D

Mattsmom277

I've read reviews about the dyson fan. Personally, it sounds far overpriced, super loud and not any more effective than standard pedestal and table fans. Just me but perhaps instead of spending upwards of $300 on a dyson, would you be able install a extra window AC unit? Or a few pedestal fans to direct the current AC unit to cover more floor space? I think if you are ok with the $300 range of a dyson, you could also consider a portable floor model AC unit. Yes you need to still put a piece into a widow to attach the tubing. But it's portable and boy they work pretty darn good. You could move it into main areas during the day and to where you will sleep at night.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Nomad, I have two floor fans that follow me all over the house. Wherever I go, I set one up to point at me. It's just enough to get through those really swelting days. They cost me $25 each at walmart.

I heard the dyson fans are quieter than regular fans...personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a fan...their lifespan usually doesn't justify the expense.

When we visit mother in law in FL, her AC is set at 78-no fans. I die.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Like Jo, if I have a fan on me, I'm fine.........regardless of heat/humidity. Cheap wallie world fans do the trick just fine. I dunno about any other type because I won't shell out a lot of money on something I use a LOT and will have to replace in about 3 yrs tops. And trust me, I used them non stop all year long. In winter I need the noise to sleep. lol

DammitJanet

My grandma lived in Daytona and didnt even have AC! I swear she was from another breed...lol. I could never live in FL because it is simply too hot. Its hot enough in NC.

Im surprised your sons ac isnt keeping his house cool enough. Does he have it set low enough for you or do they keep it set at a higher temp to save money? Sometimes younger folks can handle a higher temp than we can but maybe if you let him know he will lower it for the period of time you are there. Of course, it could also be something like in my house. My bedroom is at the end of the trunk line so I get the least amount of heat and air so my room is either the hottest or coldest. I have to have window air unit in there even though I have a new central unit. I do use fans.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Dyson fans, in my humble opinion, are just an expensive conversation piece...it looks different, it sounds different...but

At the end of the day - it is still JUST A FAN.

My favorite way to beat the heat is to use a thin cold pack around the back of my neck. Easy. Relaxing. Cheap.

Jody

Nomad, I use a wind cyclone from Walmart. it's 40.00, but if you put that baby on you and stay there or in that room, you would probably be okay. It is louder than I would like but I just turn the tv up. I use it all year, it is a floor metal fan.