Question about flea and tick control for doggies

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Two of our dogs weigh in at 8 lbs and the little one at around 5lbs. I love the effectiveness of Frontline, however, the price tag bites. I'm looking for some homegrown ideas on natural flea and tick control.

At this time of year the pups get itchy skin so I don't want anything harsh either. They do not have fleas, it's just a precaution because it's flea season. Also, though, they need good protection from ticks because we basically live in the woods and the ticks are out in full force!

I pulled a tick off the little one last night. I'm grooming them today and want to make sure I use the right stuff. We usually use baby body wash and then I usually spray their coats with a tea tree oil conditioner that's nice, but I'm open to new ideas. Their skin appears to be quite dry.

Thanks!

DS3

Advantix is working better then Frontline (I'm a big Frontline Person, but you use what works, right?). Do some searching online. I forget the companies name, but if you ask for a prescription from your vet for it, there's this company in Australia that sells it real cheap. If I can find a link, I'll post it. :)

DDD

husband tells me that the patent expired on the Frontline and Walmart now sells the "same" formula for alot less. Strange that he would know that, lol, but usually when he knows....he knows. DDD

KTMom91

Star told me about diatomaceous earth, and we've been adding it to Buddy's and the cats' food as well as dusting their fur and the carpet with it. It works great as long as you keep up with it.

H

HaoZi

Avon's original Skin So Soft oil in their bathwater. Baby powder on them (friends used this on their cat). Yeast tablets daily. For ticks... I don't know.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Star told me about diatomaceous earth, and we've been adding it to Buddy's and the cats' food as well as dusting their fur and the carpet with it. It works great as long as you keep up with it.

OMG!!! I just read about this today, you are NOT supposed to allow your pets to consume this!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Our house reeks. I found an all natural oil to use instead of the frontline (good to know about walmart DDD, thanks!), but it's key ingredients are clove and peppermint oils so.... Peeeeeee-uuuuuuwwwwwwwwww.

I'll keep you posted on whether it works or not. Izzybones, the little, is still scratching, but I think her skin was dry.

flutterby

Fly away!
For little guys, I think there is a chewable that protects against both fleas and heartworms, but it's going to cost as much as Frontline, if not more.

There is an all natural repellent that you can find (I found it at our local pet store, not sure if the chains carry it) - I can't remember the name of it, it has an orange-woodsy smell, and you can use it on people, too. It is very effective, expensive ($20 for a 4-6 ounce bottle), has a strong scent, and you have to use it every day if you really want to work. But it does work.

You can also spritz the doggies with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water - work it down to the skin - and you can add it to their water as a repellent. Reviews are mixed.
http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/acvfordogs.html

[url]http://www.ehow.com/how_2066146_use-apple-cider-vinegar-pets.html

[/URL]

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, stupid brain.......

There is one that is great for dogs under 40 lbs, but give me a bit to remember the darn name. AND it's cheap, much cheaper than frontline or advantix. I had to use it with Betsy as a pup because she was allergic to the others.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I remember!! Revolution! (at least I'm pretty sure that's what it's called) Works fantastic with small dogs and cats. :)

Josie

I would work aggressively on the yard to get rid of the ticks if there are that many on the dog. It isn't just dogs that get Lyme.

I believe in natural products and eat mostly organic. When it comes to my yard and tick control, though, I blast with chemicals. I have seen what can happen with Lyme disease. In CT, there must be some good resources for natural or chemical tick control.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I would work aggressively on the yard to get rid of the ticks if there are that many on the dog. It isn't just dogs that get Lyme.

I believe in natural products and eat mostly organic. When it comes to my yard and tick control, though, I blast with chemicals. I have seen what can happen with Lyme disease. In CT, there must be some good resources for natural or chemical tick control.

I sprayed in the spring and I'm going to spray again today, thanks. I have some good stuff, I hope it works as we REALLY do live IN the woods!

H

HaoZi

The original Sevindust was great yard stuff, but you can't get it anymore. We used it in FL, but once the dogs left the yard for woods, all bets were off.