Question about low income prescription medication assistance

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Kathy813, Jul 11, 2012.

  1. Kathy813

    Kathy813 Well-Known Member Staff Member

    My 27-year-old difficult child is living with us while she in a DBT program. She does not have insurance so we are paying over $1000 a month for her therapy. She is working part-time and just makes enough to pay her car insurance, phone bill, gas and cigarettes.

    At the suggestion of her DBT therapist, she went to another psychiatrist who wants to add Abilify to the medications that she is getting through the community health center. Since difficult child does not have health insurance, we would have to pay for that out of pocket and from what I can find, we would be talking anywhere from $400 - 600 a month.

    We just can't do that right now in addition to the DBT. So I looked up the low income assistance program and it says that she has to provide the annual household income for last year. Well, she didn't work at all so she had no income. My question is does she have to include our income? Are we expected to pay for her medical bills just because she lives here (for the time being)? If it makes a difference, she lived here for about six months of last year before she went to rehab and then a halfway house.

    Does anyone know how this works?

  2. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    difficult child is her own household. So if she didn't work last year, her income is zero. :)

    Only ones who would have her as part of yours is college and I believe the cut off for that is 21.
  3. Kathy813

    Kathy813 Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Even if she lives with us? Wouldn't they ask where she lives and how she eats if she had zero or little income?
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  4. hearts and roses

    hearts and roses Mind Reader

    Unfortunately, yes, they will ask if she lives with anyone and the entire household income would be factored in.

    That said, however, due to her age and, depending on the caseworker, she may be able to file as an independent. It is difficult to prove that she had no other resources, especially if you're paying for anything and not charging rent, utilities, etc.

    on the other hand, she could lie.
  5. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    Due to her age, actually they shouldn't ask. She is an adult responsible for herself. You as her family are not responsible for her bills or for paying for things she needs. Out of the kindness of your hearts, you've provided her with a roof over her head and 3 meals per day period. (and state it exactly that way)

    I have faced this issue with both Katie and Nichole. Each were their own separate households. Actually, same with Travis since he's now an adult living at home. My income counts nothing toward him. I'm just a kind mom who keeps him out of a box on a street corner. If it works for welfare and food stamps (and it most certainly DOES), then it works for the drug programs.

    She's not a minor child. You are not responsible for her period. Know what I mean??
  6. Signorina

    Signorina Guest

    She is no longer your dependent. You are in the clear. Her income is her income. Yours does not count.

    Check out this link too
    Lasted edited by : Jul 11, 2012
  7. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    My 30 year old son is not in my household according to social security so I would think you would be safe with drug assistance. Heck, Tony and I are not in the same household! Not married.
  8. Fran

    Fran Former desparate mom

    Our insurance covers our children until 26(I think that's the age) thanks to the changes in medical coverage. You may want to check with your insurance carrier. We use our insurance as difficult child's primary insurance.
    I know with disability, if an adult child is living with you, their monthly amount is decreased by about 1/3 rd. Any income they receive whether from parents or work is also deducted.
    Don't lie. First off, it's wrong and 2. You will be caught. If you don't know the system and I admit that I don't, you have to be on the up and up.
    I would let her file as an adult and use her income tax forms to dictate income and answers to the questions. It's the truth and you don't have to look over your shoulder.
  9. Kathy813

    Kathy813 Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Hi, Fran! Believe it or not . . . my difficult child is 27 now so she doesn't qualify for insurance through us. I wouldn't lie. It's not my style. . . I"m a goody two shoes when it comes to things like that.

    After researching Abilify on the Internet and reading about the possible weight gain, difficult child decided she didn't want to try it after all.

  10. CrazyinVA

    CrazyinVA Well-Known Member Staff Member

    It depends on the program. Youngest got assistance directly from the manufacturers of her drugs, which in my opinion is the best way to go (many offer 100% coverage, vs. reduced cost through some of the other programs). I did in one case have to provide a letter verifying that I was providing her food & shelter while she was unemployed.

    I tried to find you the link for the Abilify program, but the link for that specific drug is broken (figures) ... still, here's the BMS site FYI:

    Maybe you could call them and get a live person to ask about the program.

    ETA: you were posting as I was composing this --- so just keep this in mind for other drugs, FYI :)