question for any knitters out there

Mom2oddson

If the guage is supposed to be 4" = 17 stitches and my 17 stitches = 2 1/2"... do I go up one or two needle sizes?

I am trying my hand at hats instead of always doing scarves and blankets where gauge really didn't matter.

The pattern I'm using is great and the hat is turning out great, but my child size hat is toddler/baby right now.

Thanks for the help.

InsaneCdn

You're out by almost half! I'd say go up at least two sizes.

I'm used to metric, not US sizes... but if you were on 5mm needles I'd say try 8mm.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Larger needles. But are you using worsted weight yarn? (4 ply) Or sport weight? or baby fingering? Which type yarn makes a difference as well as needle size. Works the same for crochet too.

Mom2oddson

I'm using the size of yarn that the pattern calls for. Both the pattern and yarn have a #4 for medium weight yarn. I made sure the weight was correct so I wouldn't have this problem.

I'll try a sample piece going up two sizes and see if I need to go up more. Thanks.

At least the hat pattern is fast so I have time for a couple of tries. I can't believe how fast time is going. Christmas will be here before I know it!

It's 5 weeks from today that easy child and K will be home for Thanksgiving!

DammitJanet

Hats are about the only thing I am good at with crochet. I can actually make them. I was wanting to try making stockings this year but I started one and got ticked off. The only one I think I might be able to do would be the granny square stocking because I can do a granny square.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
M2O shhhh! I don't wanna know xmas is coming so fast!!! I've got a LOT of projects.......and so far I'm only half done with Brandon's sweater. lol

InsaneCdn

Are you sure that the size of needles the pattern calls for, and the needles you have, are from the same sizing scale? Because... #4 metric, and #4 US are not the same size... (and I've made that mistake with older patterns and/or older needles)

Mom2oddson

I got it. Size 10 needles works for the gauge. Now, I just need to get 17 hats done to have one for each niece and nephew! I'm working on those on my lunch hour and the 45 minutes I have before work starts. (vanpool gets us there that early). At home, I'm working on cross-stitch ornaments. I only need 18 of those. At least I'm done with jelly/jam....8 dozen jars in 8 assorted flavors. I need a job where I can take Sept-Dec off with pay!

Marguerite

If your first hats are too small, turn them into tea cosies. I went the other way - turned a tea cosy pattern into a hat. And then made a baby jumper in the same pattern.

Marg