question for bakers about molasses cookies

ctmom05

I have plenty of general baking experience, but have never made molasses cookies. The recipes I've looked over so far ask for one ingredient that I don't have - cloves.

For those of you who have made molasses cookies before; any idea on how well they will turn out, if I make them without the cloves? I don't want to buy cloves because I don't have any other recipes that I would use them in.

TerryJ2

It just won't have the kick or bite to it that some cookies have. I wouldn't worry about it.
Be aware that with-the molasses, it will be a sticky, gooey mess. But well worth it. :)

Mom2oddson

I love molasses cookies. But, I agree that they won't have quite the right bite without the cloves. You could check grocery stores that sell spices in bulk. I've done that before on spices that I only use once in a great while. And when you buy a tablespoons worth, it's cheap. Or try the dollar stores. The spices are a little bit old and not quite as strong, but still good. That way there isn't a lot of expense.

Josie

My recipe for molasses cookies doesn't have cloves in them. Maybe that is why even my kids like it!

Let me know if you want me to post it.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
CTMom--

A good substitute for the cloves is Allspice...

(and yes, I think if you leave the spice out completely, the cookies will be a little blander than they should be...)