Question of the day... Cloth diapers vs Disposables

Pink Elephant

"D" is for diapers that baby wears. It just wouldn't be right not to cover-off a conversation on diapers, seeing how we engaged in Watercooler conversations surrounding motherhood and babysitting.

I've always seen this age-old argument/debate as being one where no side ever really wins, but it's always interesting to hear why mothers choose what they choose in the way of diapers, and why.

- Did you use cloth or disposable diapers?

- What was the reason behind your decision to use one over the other?

- If you used disposable diapers, how did you find the ongoing expense of buying diapers, and did it effect your overall household budget?

- If you used disposable diapers, what brand did you use?

- If you used cloth diapers, were they the old-fashioned variety that required safety pins, or did you use modern Velcro-closing cloth diapers?

- If you used cloth diapers, did you launder them at home and line-dry?

- How old were you the first time you changed a diaper, and was it cloth or disposable?

- If you grew up with baby siblings, what kind of diapers did they wear?

- Regarding what type of diapers you used, was there anything you didn't like about using them (Pros/Cons)?

- Were you restricted from using one type of diaper over the other? i.e. no washing machine to launder cloth diapers, no money to buy disposables, etc.

- If you were raising children again today, would you rely on the same diapers you used in the past, or would you switch-over and try something new?

- When was the last time you changed a diaper?

Pink Elephant

- Did you use cloth or disposable diapers? Cloth

- What was the reason behind your decision to use one over the other? I'm going to say tradition and familiarity. Also, having a serious old-fashioned streak in me helped steer me towards using cloth diapers

- If you used disposable diapers, how did you find the ongoing expense of buying diapers, and did it effect your overall household budget? Even though I didn't use disposable diapers, we would have struggled to afford disposables with our single-income household budget, had I gone that route

- If you used disposable diapers, what brand did you use? N/A

- If you used cloth diapers, were they the old-fashioned variety that required safety pins, or did you use modern Velcro-closing cloth diapers? Old-fashioned safety pin diapers

- If you used cloth diapers, did you launder them at home and line-dry? Absolutely!

- How old were you the first time you changed a diaper, and was it cloth or disposable? I would have been around age 8. Baby siblings wore cloth diapers, and I used to change them

- If you grew up with baby siblings, what kind of diapers did they wear? Cloth diapers and rubber pants

- Regarding what type of diapers you used, was there anything you didn't like about using them (Pros/Cons)? Not at all. As a stay-at-home mom, cloth diapers worked well for me (us as a family). I always liked the convenience of having a supply of diapers at home round-the-clock

- Were you restricted from using one type of diaper over the other? i.e. no washing machine to launder cloth diapers, no money to buy disposables, etc. Having had a low household income, cloth diapers were the wise choice

- If you were raising children again today, would you rely on the same diapers you used in the past, or would you switch-over and try something new? I'd use cloth diapers again... diaper pins, rubber pants, the whole nine yards!

- When was the last time you changed a diaper? Summer of 2016, when company was visiting. Pampers

AppleCori

I used disposable only.

Pampers were the only brand I thought worker well for newborns, but switched to cheaper ones when they were a few months old.

I had three under two years old and there was no way I was going to use cloth!

BusynMember

I was a one income family too, but never thought to use cloth diapers. Nobody did that here. I used any brands on sale. Some were better than others. I am surprised at how expensive diapers are today and am glad my granddaughter is out of them now.
On another note, I live in a small city near rural Wisconsin and all young mothers seem to use paper diapers here too. I maybe havent looked hard enough, but I dont recall seeing cloth diapers in stores when I shop for my granddaughter. No hanging clothes on clotheslines here too, and this area ia not at all well off...interesting.

Pink Elephant

I was a one income family too, but never thought to use cloth diapers. Nobody did that here. I used any brands on sale. Some were better than others. I am surprised at how expensive diapers are today and am glad my granddaughter is out of them now.
On another note, I live in a small city near rural Wisconsin and all young mothers seem to use paper diapers here too. I maybe havent looked hard enough, but I dont recall seeing cloth diapers in stores when I shop for my granddaughter. No hanging clothes on clotheslines here too, and this area ia not at all well off...interesting.
Seems today's generation has moved away from tradition.

AppleCori

There is a resurgence in cloth diapers, though, among the homeschooling crowd.

Many are into homesteading and self-reliance, and don't use a lot of convienience items.

I have known many who use cloth diapers.

They won't be going away anytime soon!

KTMom91

A high school friend of Miss KT's, J, has just had her fifth child, homeschools, cloth diapers, makes her own laundry soap, cooks from scratch, AND is a military wife. I have no idea how she does it all, but J is a smart and creative woman. Her Hubby is great with the kids, a very hands-on dad, and the boys especially want to be just like their daddy.

BusynMember

Old Hand, I am a babyboomer and did not do anything my parents way. I dont think the generations after me, at least anywhere in my neck of the woods, did not use modern conveniences. Maybe it depends on where you live???

Pink Elephant

There is a resurgence in cloth diapers, though, among the homeschooling crowd.

Many are into homesteading and self-reliance, and don't use a lot of convienience items.

I have known many who use cloth diapers.

They won't be going away anytime soon!
Yes, I agree, there seems to be a big renaissance in the use of cloth diapers again. I honestly don't know how families afford disposables.

Pink Elephant

A high school friend of Miss KT's, J, has just had her fifth child, homeschools, cloth diapers, makes her own laundry soap, cooks from scratch, AND is a military wife. I have no idea how she does it all, but J is a smart and creative woman. Her Hubby is great with the kids, a very hands-on dad, and the boys especially want to be just like their daddy.
So nice to see and know! Sounds like a very frugal homemaker!

BusynMember

Could be. My mom was not into her housework and I just do it because I have to. Its not enjoyable at all and short cuts are welcome.

But not everyone is like her parents. My oldest daughter cleans, cleans, cleans. She uses modern conveniences but is always cleaning something. She is also a chef and she cooks delicious meals. She didnt get that from me...lol. My other kids are more relaxed about the house, like me.

Pink Elephant

Could be. My mom was not into her housework and I just do it because I have to. Its not enjoyable at all and short cuts are welcome.

But not everyone is like her parents. My oldest daughter cleans, cleans, cleans. She uses modern conveniences but is always cleaning something. She is also a chef and she cooks delicious meals. She didnt get that from me...lol. My other kids are more relaxed about the house, like me.
It's interesting watching our children go their own direction when the time comes, and how each one turns out different from their siblings, even though they were raised the same way.

BusynMember

Three of my kids are adopted so they have their own DNA. I think DNA is very important. I see precious granddaughter mirroring her moms love of neatness.

Yet in some ways...philosophy of life, politics, lack of being overly materialistic...they are a lot like me. The one who is least like me in those ways though is Bart, my biological son. So maybe I am putting TOO much emphasis on DNA!

Of all my kids, Jumper thinks the most like I do.

Pink Elephant

Three of my kids are adopted so they have their own DNA. I think DNA is very important. I see precious granddaughter mirroring her moms love of neatness.

Yet in some ways...philosophy of life, politics, lack of being overly materialistic...they are a lot like me. The one who is least like me in those ways though is Bart, my biological son. So maybe I am putting TOO much emphasis on DNA!

Of all my kids, Jumper thinks the most like I do.
I think there's a lot to be said for what you just said, SWOT. :) Like mother, like daughter sort of thing. I believe there's truth behind it.