question on high blood sugar

Sue C

Melissa called me on a break from work. They had a routine health test to check blood sugar. She was told hers is 150 and should not be over 100. She was told to see a dr. She was very concerned. I don't know if I should be or not????

Thankfully, she does have insurance since she started her job on Monday, but she does not know the group # or if she needs forms or what she's supposed to do. I told her to find out before she comes home tonight so that she can make an appointment. (also, she's going to have to find a new dr, as her new insurance does not cover the dr's we currently have)

Anyone know anything about blood sugar being over 150?

Thanks,
Sue

kris

<span style="color: #663366">first thing to ask her is whether or not it was a fasting blood sugar ~~~ and if it was did she forget & eat something before having her blood drawn.

i'm on insulin & i don't have to cover my sugar until i hit 160. each doctor has there own limits they set for their patients.

before getting yourself all worried find out about whether or not she ate prior to getting her blood drawn. by the way, i was always told the blood sugars should be betwen 70 & 120, but there may have been adjustments.

kris
</span>

Sue C

Thanks, Kris. She works 'til 7 pm. I'll ask her tonight. She was not aware of this test being done today, so she did eat breakfast at home and may have eaten something at work before the test.

I just hope she is not too scared. She sounded very worried. She has a friend who is diabetic and on insulin since he's a little boy.

Sue

judi

Those tests are just that, screening. Much more is required to obtain a diagnosis of diabetes. Don't worry.

Marguerite

If it wasn't a fasting blood sugar test then it's fairly meaningless, especially if she knows she ate something high in sugar and low in fat 30-60 minutes before the blood draw. But it is worth checking up. A fasting BSL (blood sugar level) would be a good idea. First thing in the morning is best. And if she's overweight, or eating too much sugary food as regular snacks, she should consider modifying her diet to eat lower GI foods (and aim for healthy foods too, not just fattier foods). Increase fibre, cut back on salt (or at least double-check that she's not eating more than RDI for any of these) and it certainly can't hurt.

When I was pregnant I had normal BSLs but sugar breaking through in the urine specimen. This is apparently due to a spillover of sugar from the kidneys and can happen in pregnancy. Other things can happen with sugar in pregnancy also, and it always needs to be checked out to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

Give her a hug and tell her to not panic. But she should have the test done again - properly, this time, especially if she knows she wasn't eating sweet snacks before this last one.

Marg

kris

<span style="color: #993399">eating before the test totally skews the results. she's fine, i'm sure.

kris
</span>

Sue C

Thanks, ladies. Melissa came home yesterday and said she didn't need to go to the dr. because she had talked to a friend who has diabetis. (friend is not a dr--he's an old middle school friend who bartends) Anyway, she says she's not going to the dr. and she didn't ask at work about getting an insurance card. She had signed up for insurance at orientation on the first day of work. I looked through the book she had brought home. All it was was a list of dr's in the network plus it said you had to show an insurance card. The book didn't even tell the services that are covered. She says she's not asking for a card--that she doesn't need one. Can't argue with her. Won't argue with her. Guess if she does have a health problem, it's HER problem. She's 21, as she constantly reminds husband and me!

Thanks again,
Sue