Question on schizoaffective disorder

H

HaoZi

I mentioned on the Saturday thread that Kiddo found a friend in the new neighbors. This kid is two years older than her, also has Aspergers and bi-polar, but is also schizoaffective. So far he seems like a nice enough kid (though bouncy and prone to throwing sand). I don't really know much about or have any experience with schizoaffective disorder or what problem I or Kiddo might run into at times. Can anyone shed some light for me?

T

TeDo

As you can see in my sig, ex carries that diagnosis along with some others. Personally, I think he's actually on the spectrum because (now that I know what I know) all his behaviors are easily explained by that diagnosis. I'm including a link to my favorite website for anything medical so you can see the info for yourself. However, ex never had hallucinations as long as I've known him. Some minor delusions yea but not any different than difficult child 1's own "big plans". As for ex's cycling, I never saw that either. Anyway, here's what I found:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/schizoaffective-disorder/DS00866/DSECTION=symptoms

JJJ

Schitzoaffective is basically schitzophrenia + bipolar.

The child likely has delusions or hallucinations, disordered thought processes, impaired grasp of reality as well as manic, depressive or mixed mood episodes.

A few, but not all or even most, people with schitzoaffective disorder are violent. Generally this is in reaction to command hallucinations or significant delusions.