Question re. IEP revisions

klmno

I have the copy of the unsigned IEP from last week's meeting. I am aware that I can mark up information in it that needs correcting, but if I want something changed before I sign it, can I mark up the change and send it back to the school for them to either sign or refuse? (This is referring to the case manager having it written in there that he will discuss the importance of grades with difficult child next week- difficult child is just getting released from psychiatric hospital tomorrow and I'm quite sure that the problem at school is not resulting from difficult child not understanding the importance of grades. And, given difficult child's instability of late and feelings of being overwhelmed, I think this lecture is the last thing he needs.)

Thanks in advance!!

Sheila

I'd do it. All they can say is "we have to call another IEP meeting to include it." (With IDEA 2004, minor changes can be made without a full blown IEP meeting as long as parent and sd rep agrees.)

klmno

Thanks! I emailed today to say difficult child was home from psychiatric hospital and would be "eased" back into school starting tomorrow afternoon and that I was very concerned about the intent for the "talk". I chose my words carefully about what the professionals thought were difficult child's primary triggers for cycling and reiterated that I did not think a lack of understanding the importance of things was the cause of his problems at school. I sent the email to principal, asst principal (who was also at iep meetinng), and copied cm. The principal emailed back and in capital letters, stated that they agreed and would not have this "talk".
So, I guess it is safe for me to mark it out of his iep. I would just sign and leave it in there based on the priincipal's word, but I've learned that lesson already. And, thanks to this board, I don't feel pressured so easily anymore!!