Question re Washing machines

klmno

I just got home from the laundromat, which was an experience in itself, and looking at washers & dryers. I see that the new style is a top loading, HE, that doesn't work like the older style I'm used to, which has an agitator. The salesman says this little 'stub' at the bottom will cause clothes to flip over enough in the water that doesn't even fill the barrel half full. Hmmm...I skeptical. How clean do these get clothes, really, and will they work well for things like blankets?

DammitJanet

I have no idea but when I am rich I am getting a new high tech washer and dryer like you are looking at. I want one of those that senses what is up with my clothes, decides what kind of water I need, how much soap I need, when to add what, what I need for dinner that evening, which channels I should watch and when I should invite company over and then order dinner from Maxims all at once!

crazymama30

K, I don't know but I can ask my mom when she gets home from work, she works at Sears selling washers and dryers. let me know if there are any certain models you are interested in, and I can ask her specifically about those.

LittleDudesMom

Are you referring to front loading (rather than the "old-fashioned" top loading)? My cousin has one and has no complaints - the only thing she has said to me about it is that you have to use the low sudsing (I think there is a more "professional" term for that) and it takes about 2.5 times longer to run a cycle. It is supposed to be very energy efficient, using less water (but it does run longer).

Sharon

klmno

LOL! That had those there- I think you can do an entire wardrobe at once in some of these! Those aren't what I'm looking at though. The one's I'm looking at are more like the 'entry level' into top-loading, HE, just simply because it's hard to find the 'older style' without paying the same amount, at least at Lowes. Oh- I should mention that these are on sale due to the boyfriend weekend. Normally priced 750-800 ea, marked down to 499, ea, which is a little more than I wanted to pay but the washing machine will hold much more and they still aren't these huge things. As soon as I finsh my break, I'll carry clothes upstairs and measure to make sure these would fit in that tiny laundry closet.

My experience at the laundromat- I had two loads of wash, running simultaneously. When the second one finished, and I looked to make sure the light was off and the gage said it was done, I opened the door (fron t loading) and water went everywhere. I found the lady, who got the mopp and started mopping. I asked if there was a way to run these thru a spin cycle in another washer and the store pay for it since clearly, the washer didn't drain and my clothes were sitting in water. She kept mopping and said 'no'. They charge $2 per load for a washing machine! I said well, I'll go ahead an put them in dryers since they are soaked and will take a long time. They tooko forever. She never came back to address the store cobvering any of the cost and I finally gave up getting them dry, so I brought them home damp. I bet I spent $3 getting them even this ddry. Then I noticed, that my clothes have rust spots on them and I assume that came from this old washer and dryer the landlord had in here.

I don't know what I did to deserve this karma, but apparently I did something to someone's clothes in my past.

klmno

Nope- that house I was renting before had front-loading HE and I was less than impressed. I'd heard people say that they like the top loading HE a lot better. These look exactly like older top-loading, except it looks like someone chopped the agitator off and only left a stump that's a few inches tall. I asked about how it agitates like that and that's when he explained that it only fills the barrel about 1/3 of the way with water and that 'stump', along with the base that turns at the bottom (just like the white plastic 'base' at the bottom of a typical agitator). So that's why I'm wondering how much this really does flip clothes over and how much CAN it flip over if it's something larger and heavier, like a comforter or something. That was my whole reason for getting the larger capacity- so I won't have to go to the laundry mat do do these larger things when I spring clean.

These are Whirlpool calibra (or something like that) but they had a couple different model numbers even for that 'series' and I don't know which these are.

I wouldn't mind getting real inexpensive ones and sell them when I move but if I'm going to have them a long time, I like Whirlpool if I can afford them./ Lowes was also offering free delivery, so that makes a difference., especially with that price mark down on these. But, I don't want to get them if they don't get stuff clean. Oh- I noticed that all the middle-of-the road washers, no matter what the brand, had this 'stump' and HE design. They all looked the same and they had GE and Maytag, too.

klmno

I walked all thru their area here and didn't see any deal like that. Maybe it varies from store to store.

bby31288

KLMNO, I had one of those new top loading HE with the stub. Hated it. Felt like my clothes were never clean. Sometimes the clothes on the top never seemed to get wet enough!!! I found that I had to put a less laundry in and then put it on super load to get clean enough!!!

klmno

What did you end up getting and where did you find it? I can't see paying 450-500 ea fo a washer and dryer that's the 'old-fashioned' type with an agitator.

Nancy

I don't like either the front or top loading HE washers. I just bought a front loading one last year because my washer died and everyone said how great they were. I hate it. I don't think it gets the clothes clean. They don't smell clean or feel clean or look clean. Hardly any water goes in and they come out practically dry. Give me the old style top laoader anytime.

Nancy

klmno

thank you, Nancy! I guess I'll try to find a sears around and see if I can get a decent deal. I don't know where else to look.

DammitJanet

How about the dryers? Are they any good? As far as my washer, I got the washer I have now at a used appliance place for about 150. its a 1992 kenmore. I bought a new washer from lowes about 5 years ago and it lasted exactly 2 years. 1 month past the extended warranty I bought. I refuse to buy another new washer I guess if these new HE ones arent any good. My old 1992 one was giving out on me not long ago and I looked up online what was wrong with it and it was a 15 dollar part and Tony fixed it. Little piece on the agitator. So simple I could have done it. youtube video.

klmno

Just based on my limited knowledge with the set in that house I was renting, the dryer was the same as any old, regular dryer. I assume it costs more just because it matches the washer. Part of my problem is that I'm new in this area and don't know where the little shops are that sell used or scracth & dent stuff. I'll ask around at work tomorrow.

InsaneCdn

I've had top-load old-style agitator, and front-load HE.
Both were top models. Both get top marks, for different reasons.

I'd never go to a front-load with babies in cloth diapers... or if I had lots of blankets and such to wash. Load size in the top-load was significantly more.

But... I'm getting a better "clean" with front-load, without extra steps (took two extra rinces plus a rince agent, in top-load). And less wear on fabric.

I can't see how a top-load HE can give the same clean as the front-load HE. Part of the theory is that the clothes and the water all collect at the bottom of the machine... and then as it turns, the clothes gently fall to the bottom (rather than getting smashed around with an agitator). If the clothes don't go "up", they can't come "down"... so it changes the whole dynamic.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I got my new washer at Lowe's several months ago on sale, also free delivery.

I had to hunt for the agitator I wanted. husband wanted a front loading but I wouldn't have it. phht. I needed a big enough tub for blankets but didn't necessarily need the mega jumbo size tub I've had for 30 yrs. I found it. Would have to go look at the brand and model. Personally I love the thing. Don't recall what we paid but it wasn't an arm and a leg.

For xmas I want a old fashioned washboard and the galvanized tubs. Then in spring, I'd like sister in law to make me some sort of cabinet type thing (more frame than cabinet) that I can mount a clothes ringer on then hang the clothes on the line. Talk about a work out. But it would save me on the bills quite a bit. lol

SRL

I don't like either the front or top loading HE washers. I just bought a front loading one last year because my washer died and everyone said how great they were. I hate it. I don't think it gets the clothes clean. They don't smell clean or feel clean or look clean. Hardly any water goes in and they come out practically dry. Give me the old style top laoader anytime.

Nancy

I wasn't able to find a regular old agitating top loader large enough for our family when I replaced ours last year. I bought the front loader and mother in law who replaced around the same time bought the HE top loader. Both of us think it doesn't get clothes as clearn and takes twice as long. It does save water: my water bill has dropped $40/month since we've had it.

Both mother in law and I felt that the clothes just don't clean as well without a good soaking. Her repairman told her to use the bulky items selection as it uses the most water. It helps, but it also takes an hour and 15 minutes to run through the cycle.

Whatever you do, watch for the features you would take for granted in a regular washer because they may be missing in this one--for instance mine doesn't have a spin cycle. It has rinse and spin but doesn't just spin.

The frontloaders tend to get smelly since the seals are so tight. I leave mine open whenever it's not in use for that reason.

You may want to consider extended warranty if you go with the HE models as they are extremely pricey to repair.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm not sure what I'd do with a stubby agitator... Doesn't make sense to me, either.

As for front-loaders... I worked for the gov't moving people and their stuff, front loaders require an expensive stabilizer kit when they are moved and don't always get it - even brand new from the store. If the drum moves too much - kabam. Also, mother in law had a front loader and I hated it the few times I used it. My clothes never seemed very clean... And you're right, they do tend to smell.

Lothlorien

When I was looking into washers after my very expensive washer died after only having it four years, I researched a lot! The bizarre thing is that you can find every kind of washer on youtube! If you aren't sure how one works, look it up on youtube. I had questioned the one that you are talking about without an agitator and found it there.

I ended up buying the Samsung with the anti-vibration technology. Very good reviews overall and the anti-vibration is a must if you have your washer on the second floor. I had cracks in the sheetrock from the regular washer. I have had this one for a almost two years and no cracks. Nothing falls off of it.

DDD

I'd suggest a quick trip to the library to access the Consumer Reports issue on appliances. It breaks down all the various good/bad issues including efficiency, power usage, durability etc. I know it came out just recently because I skimmed through it. Alas, I'm hoping my old machine hangs in there so I tossed it away.

by the way, I've downsized my load size after reading that the most frequent problem is consumers trying to get all the laundry done asap which, of course, minimizes the effectiveness of the machine. It's amazing how much laundry we have with only three adults...and one dog who has multiple blankets etc. that have to be washed often. DDD