quick health update

Saw the pulmonologist today. Finally.

I have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). That's what messed up my summer. Sigh. I am on a new inhaler, plus they doubled the mgs on my Advair.

Hysterectomy is on hold indefinitely. That's ok. I gained so much weight when I quit smoking that I stopped having my period. Nice, huh?

And the pullmonologist yelled at me. Told me to start using my C-PAP machine again. I really hate that thing.

Bleh.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Chronic Obstructie Pulmonary Disorder. It's like having asthma and bronchitis all at once and all the time.

Sorry you are going through that Kitty.

Beth

F

flutterbee

I'm so sorry to hear this. I was really hoping it wasn't Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).

No wonder you've felt so horrible all summer.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. {{{{Gentle gentle hugs}}}}

I sent you a PM, might have rambled a bit. I am thinking good thoughts for your.

by the way, is the c-pap thingy you hate for sleep apnea? can you explain what it does to me? My husband may need one. He has finally agreed to a sleep study.

Susie

AllStressedOut

Well BBK, we knew you were sick :hammer: but now its official, you're ill too. :ill:

Sorry about the diagnosis. Is this something that goes away with medications?

That c-pap thing, isn't it like an alarm at night? Or is it the mask you can wear? I'm a little fuzzy :smile: on it. Apparently too much wine can do that to me.

Stressed,

Ya got me. I laughed out loud at that one. I even snorted.

OK, the C-PAP is a mask that gently forces air into your nose, whether you want it or not, all night. I got that back in March. I tried diligently to use it. Every night, in my sleep, I would tear that thing off my face and wing it across the room. Every morning, it was a Hide N Seek game:

"Come on Tink. Time to play "where is mommy's mask"?

The diagnosis is pretty icky. It is bronchitis & asthma & emphysema all rolled up into one. They are doing another CT scan on Friday to check for the damage report on the lungs. The disease does not go away, but the symptoms can be controlled. It could get worse if I were still going bad things to my lungs. I am not (3 months, no smoking, booyah) so it will just stay like it is.

Smokers:
Quit. Please.

AllStressedOut

My brother in law wears the mask too. His wife can't sleep next to him without it because he snores so loud. I can't imagine wearing one at night and I would probably be playing the "lets find mommy's mask" in the morning too.

Glad to hear you've been smoke free for 3 months. Thats a great start! So will you have to stay on medications to keep symptoms under control or is the mask what does the trick? Does it help clear the lungs or just keep you breathing at night so you sleep better?

DazedandConfused

My husband uses a C-PAP machine. It was very hard for him to get used to at first. I would say it took a good six months for him to become accustomed to it. He had plenty of "winging" it moments. However, when he began to feel good again and not nod off at a drop of a hat, he became a believer. Especially, when his BiPolar (BP) dropped significantly.

It's been nearly two years now and he says he can't sleep without.

As for me, yes, it was odd at first. Sleeping with Darth Vader and all that. But, I was the one who insisted that he get a sleep study (it's usually the SO's that want to end the suffering). Those moments when he stopped breathing were scary and I knew it was putting quite a strain on his heart.

I wish I had forced the matter sooner.

Keep with it BBK, it will get better.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
My SO has Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) - with an ER visit every three to four weeks regular as clockwork for the longest time, and intibated each time which did not help his lungs or his throat. One time the breathing treatments were not working, and the doctor, in a last ditch effort, gave him a shot of magnesium - I tell you within two minutes you would never had known he had an attack or trouble breathing.

I asked the doctor if he would give us a rx, and he said yes, but just go to the health food store and buy some pills off the shelf - same thing. Since he has been taking them, maybe once in the past year he has been to the ER - it has been a major help with his breathing.

Magnesium is a muscle relaxant - usually used on women in labor -but our county is actually trialing it now for use for heart attack patients - It may be worth asking your doctor if you can add as a vitamin supplement. Plus he has a lot more energy now since he isn't laboring to breath as much.

Marcie

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Okay, sleeping with a mask on.....this explains alot about your wicked sense of humour BBK!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you have a diagnosis, and hope you can get some relief from your symptoms....

Sounds like you need to tie some elastic to the bedpost and then tie the other end to the mask. Might make the search go quicker....

Hope you are feeling better soon....

F

flutterbee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhymeMom?</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you need to tie some elastic to the bedpost and then tie the other end to the mask. Might make the search go quicker....</div></div>

:rofl: Good idea! When it snaps back and bops you on the forehead, you'll know right where it is! :rofl:

AllStressedOut

Whymemom....you completely distracted me when you started talking about tying things to bedposts. Who knew all you board members were such freaks?!?! :rofl:

witzend

BBK, that's a pretty hefty diagnosis! I hope that you will find some relief!

Marcie, I take magnesium in the evening. I had no idea it was used this way. I take it because somewhere along the line I had heard that it can help prevent leg cramps. What dosage does your husband take?

Marcie!

Thank you for that tip! I am going to talk to my doctor about that right away.

LOL @ tying things to bedposts. If you only knew...

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Witz - he takes two pills - 30 mgs each - he also had leg cramps and since taking it, has not had any problems with those. I wish I had that doctors name to call him and thank him... Some docs give us funny looks when on the now rare occasion he does have to go in when we request the shot of magnesium first thing -they always have the tubes ready to intubate him.

But check with your doctor before thinking about taking or upping any doses- as I said it is a muscle relaxant, and your heart is the biggest muscle you have :smile:

Kitty, laughing about the mask - both SO and I have them although mine usually ends up across the floor somewhere in the night. We look like a right pair of aliens laying there ...

Marcie