Quick Question about neuropsychologist

pepsichic9115

I have scheduled difficult child an appointment with her pediatrician to talk about a referral to a neuropsychologist. When I mentioned it to our therapist today, she said that since we have Medicaid that it will be really hard for me to get it approved and paid for. Has anyone found this to be true??

klmno

I'm not sure about Medicaid but it might be true. Try to get a good written referral from the dr and ask him to recommend a couple of people to do the testing so you can call and check with them about this- unless the dr can verify with whomever he's referring you to.

I had private insurance and it cover about half the cost, roughly, and I had to come up with the rest. I think my share was about $800-900, but that was a few years ago so I don't remember for sure.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Here in MN, I have found the opposite to be true - in fact, my children get far better care than I do with my insurance.

Sad to say (& don't quote me on this), I think it really depends on the state, the level of need & budgetary restraints put into place by your state legislation.

klmno

Now that TL brings that up, it reminds me that in this state, I was told there are different "levels" of medicaid. If the child is in the home, it can be difficult to get some services. But, if the child qualifies for medicaid for living outside the home, they get a great deal of care covered. It might be worth it to call your state office and discuss your specific policy.

Marguerite

There are times I'm very glad to be an Aussie.

Although we do have some public clinics (usually research) they have long waiting lists and are only in major cities. A private neuropsychologist (or multidiscplinary approach) would only get partly reimbursed, we also would be up for about half the cost. But we could claim it back on tax at the end of the financial year.

Marg

DammitJanet

I dont think you would have a problem here if you have a referral. I had no problem at all getting my neuropsychologist done on me with medicare and medicaid.

jcox

In MA where I live MassHealth our medicaid usually approves them, but you need a prior authorization from a pediatrician or psychiatrist to be approved first. For E's recent neuropsychologist evaluation I got our school district to pay for it through an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE).

pepsichic9115

Thank you all for you responses. I talked to friend of mine whose son had a neuropsychologist evaluation done a couple years back and she said she had no problems having Washington medicaid pay for it. She just suggested that I call around first and see which one of the hospitals in Portland will do it with my plan. So I'll have to do that before our appointment.