Quick question - college

P

PatriotsGirl

difficult child has said she wants to start school as soon as possible and doesn't want to wait (yay!!!). I was about to get the ball rolling today and fill out the applications online, but hubby said to make her do it herself. I understand his view, but I am afraid if I leave it to her to do it will never get done!
Would you apply for them or make them go online and do it themselves? October 1st is the deadline and I don't want to miss it...

smallworld

If a student is old enough to go to college, a student is old enough to fill out the applications. I agree with your hubby -- let your daughter fill out her own applications. It's her first step toward taking responsibility for her own future.

P

PatriotsGirl

I set her up with an ID and pin number and wrote it down for her. She is all set up when she wakes up! Fingers crossed she gets it done, but yes, I think I will sit with her while she does it. :)

Josie

I think she should do it. If she can't get it together to do that, there's no reason to think she will do the actual school work.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
easy child and I did it together - afterall, part of the application process includes information about the parents and I did not just want to tell her everything about our income, etc. I completed the parent portion and she completed the student portion. When she had questions or wasn't sure about something, I helped her.

I agree that making her be a part of the application process will help determine if she's truly ready and capable.

DammitJanet

I agree with the helpful approach. Im not completely sure if you are talking about the pell grant application or the college app. Pell grant I would definitely help with because I dont just give out my personal info to my kids. Just dont. The college app I might be in the room to be able to bounce questions off if she needed help.

LittleDudesMom

Personally, I think it depends on the kid. My easy child was able to do everything on her own, but wanted my opinion on her portfolio choices and her essays. I did the federal aid application myself though because there was so much financial information that she wouldn't have known about.

As for difficult child, hard to say. He's 15. I think I would probably sit down with him and have it be something we work on together - at least be his motivator!

I truly believe it depends on the kid. With Adhd (which your daughter has) often comes executive functioning issues and the organizational deficits that go along with that can be challenging - even at 17 or 18. Depends....

Sharon

P

PatriotsGirl

I am proud to say that she did it!! I sat there to help, but she got it done and picked a major in the hotel, restaurant and tourism industry. One of the jobs for that degree was a flight attendant and I thought that was a wonderful idea! She is young, beautiful - why not travel around the world and make money at the same time? She really liked the sound of that :) I like her studying for a job that allows her to travel :)
Now....the financial aid application.....

P

PatriotsGirl

College application in - check. Financial Aid applied for - check. Woohoo!!!! Now she needs to take the college exam next Saturday and we are all set for Winter term. :D

Fran

Former desparate mom
Excellent. I think most teens need some support just for a confidence builder. Glad to hear she did it herself.