Quick Question re Child Study Meeting

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Youngest just called me upset because my grandson's school called her to inform her they were having a Child Study Meeting this morning at 11 am. She told them she didn't know anythying about it, she'd received no notice. Their reply was that "one should have gone home in his backpack." She said she had NOT seen anything. They told her they were going ahead with the meeting, and would inform her of their findings and recommendations after the fact. She definitely should have been part of this meeting.. she has lots of input to share ... but too late now, the meeting has already happened. Youngest is a bit panicked, and confused.

It's been a long time... but I know that there is a requirement for a written notice to parents about such a meeting. Is sending a notice home in a backpack sufficient? (He's in kindergarten, who sends important legal notices home with a kindergartner?!) I did some Googling but also wanted to ask the knowledgable parents here... recommendations for next steps for her?

The Child Study was initiated by his guidance counselor, by the way, at Youngest's request. Grandson definitely needs one and some services ... but she needs to be involved in the process. And she's a difficult child herself, of course -- so I'm walking the line of helping but not enabling. I do want to give her advice, though .

slsh

member since 1999
No no no no no. SD is required to provide 10 days' prior written notice, and sending it home in kiddo's backpack does not suffice.

They don't get to "inform" her of diddly. She has the right to be an active participant in the mtg.

Send certified letter, requesting 10 days' notice, and that the meeting will have to be reheld so that she can participate.

Ugh - SD's really burn my toast sometimes.

Winnielg

In New York, with an IEP - individual education plan (which is federally based, not state-based), the school is required to send a letter home informing the parent/guardian of the time, place and participants for the annual review. I just got ours the other day for an April 9th meeting. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individualized_Education_Program - she would be part of the TEAM.
So maybe he does not yet have an offical IEP as he is in kindergarten?

If he has an IEP, I would think that regardless of this meeting, she should be able to call another to discuss their findings as she is supposed to sign off on his IEP. We were always sent the draft of the meeting findings to review before it was final. I think if we were not involved it might move forward, but she should have the right to question things, make suggestions, refuse or ask for services to be added.

This may be just the beginning of the process. But the school should still have more diligent in getting her involved. I became a regular thorn in their sides at my difficult child's school. She will always be her child's biggest advocate.

InsaneCdn

In our area... any official notice can be sent home with the child (of any age), but doesn't become official until the parent acknowledges it - either written note back, or email. You can't assume receipt when sent by child courier.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Knew it was wrong. Should she point to any particular reg when sending the letter requesting it be re-held?

slsh

member since 1999
Under 34 CFR §300.503(a), the school district must give you a written notice

(information received in writing), whenever the school district: (1) Proposes to begin or

change the identification, evaluation, or educational placement of your child or the

provision of a free appropriate public education(FAPE) to your child;

Also - if the SD decides to evaluate her son, she has to give written permission. They can't just evaluate. They must also specify what they're doing in terms of evaluation, again with prior written notice. And then in determining if child has sped needs, law clearly states parent is part of that mtg as well. "A group of qualified professionals and the parent of the child determines whether the child is a child with a disability." (300.306 a)

I couldn't find anywhere where mailing a PWN is mandated, but.... seriously. If SD gives her a hard time, I'd call state board of ed.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Thanks to both of you. I was actually just searching for advocates in her area as well, and found some good leads. She will need help for sure, she's got a tough time processing information, so the Special Education sites like Wrightslaw are like Greek to her. Main thing I wanted for now was to give her advice on next steps.

buddy

If he is not in Special Education yet, and they are not directly assessing, I don't think any due process applies. Child study where I have ever worked was just school people talking about concerns about a student. It may or may not have lead to a referral to Special Education. ((Many of us were on the child study team as sp ed reps)) Often it resulted (if a very new problem and teacher had not tried anything ) in recommendations for the gen ed teacher. Other times we proposed an evaluation and then due process started, a case manager was assigned and the forms were developed, nothing could be done then without parent involvement.

Anyway, just how we do it around here.

Sending notes or iep drafts home without calling parents to advise them of what's coming is just stupid.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I found a "Pre-Child Study and Child Study Process Handbook" on the SD's website, which includes a section about parental notifcation of the initial child study ... and a sample form that needs to be signed by the parent. So they've not adhered to their own protocol. We'll see what they say when she requests it be rescheduled.

buddy

Yes, it's likely district policy. May not have federal teeth that sp ed process needs. Of course, staff should be following district policy and they should absolutely follow common sense when it comes to communication with parents. Important papers need to be mailed. Uggg.
I'm glad you are helping her. It's overwhelming for parents who can do the research. I hope they do the right thing for her.