quick question...

difficult child 3's principal told me that they didnt implement his IEP because he saw no proof that difficult child 3 has bipolar disorder or adhd or that he;s been on medications for it.

Do i have to give them proof of that? I mean it's in his previous IEP's that he was on medications for bipolar and ADHD, there's the connors rating scales done by the teachers and me, the school psychiatric's report about his adhd behaviors, it says in several places that his disorders interfere with his learning...

Ticks me off that he's being a creep about it and basically called me a liar. Is there anywhere in the sped laws or anything that require medical record proof or anything?

smallworld

Sheila will know for sure, but my understanding is that you do need a letter from a medical doctor stating your child's medical diagnosis (ADHD, BiPolar (BP)) and medications rxed for the purposes of IEP evaluation.

Janna

I don't know the answer, but I didn't think the IEP could just be "dropped" or not implemented. When we took B out of Emotional Support, it was mutually agreed the IEP was no longer needed.

Even if it IS ok what they did, it's cruddy they didn't have a meeting and try to give interventions and gradually ease out.

klmno

I had to show evidence of this for my son. I took them a letter from his psychiatrist that was only 1 week old and they still didn't want to believe it.

so lets see....will a copy of a doctors physical for school with BiPolar (BP) as a disorder listed on it and a receipt from a pharmacy for trileptal do it? both are from last summer

klmno

The physical should do it but you'd probably be better off with something froom a psychiatrist instead of a regular physician. They really shouldn't need the medication proof but are you keeping him on MS's now?

klmno

PS when difficult child's sd acted like they didn't want to believe difficult child's diagnosis, I told them they could do their own evaluation by a child&adolescent certifed psychiatrist. They seemed to accept it at that point.

JJJ

If you have an IEP in place, he cannot just drop it or demand additional proof of disability. The IEP stands unless he wants to call a re-evaluation. Then it still stands until the re-evaluation is done.

the principal brought up the lack of proof when i pointed out difficult child 3's behavior in class was due to his disability and they should be following his BIP instead of suspending him.

This is actually all the proof i have right now, the rest of my files are still in IL at our old house. I didnt get to bring much when i left hubby.

and no he isnt on the MS's anymore. hubby and i are at a disagreement on it and it'll have to be sorted in the divorce.

Last edited:
yes it is. what they did was they decided they didnt like the layout of his old IEP so they redid it...including mainstreaming him since they'd put him straight in regular ed and he held it tgether till the IEP meeting. Used that as justification that he didnt need all the stuff in it. Then the lack of proof came up as another reason not to follow the IEP's behavior stuff...no proof of a behavior causing diagnosis. The principal trying to CYA for botching the transition and mucking up his placement and the teacher being so awful with the kid.