QUICK!!! Someone give me a drink!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Or a valium.....or 7.

difficult child had a counseling appointment and afterwards, I took him out in the country to let him drive on a road. His original permit expired and he got it renewed yesterday. husband started teaching him to drive but hadn't taken him more than a few times and only in parking lots. So....for God knows what reason, I took him today.

:surprise:

For his first time ever on a road, he honestly didn't do too bad. I made him stay around 35mph and with the exception of a jog, we stayed on one stretch of road. There were a few stop signs, one of which was at a highway, so that gave him some experience with that. He has a tendency to hug the ditch on the right and stop waaaaay before he needs to at stop signs but otherwise it wasn't too bad.

I just need to find a way to get my finger imprints out of the passenger arm rest since I don't have an Oh **** handle.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Passes a crock of Alabama Hootch and a Mother's little helper.

- I have NO idea where THAT came from. I'm surprised you could peel your hands off the dash to come in and type.

I'm typing slow......ARE YOU OKAY??

(sends oxygen)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You are MUCH braver than I.

husband and my Dad can teach Onyxx and Jett to drive. And I'll be in a rebar-and-concrete bunker in Hong Kong when they do.

mstang67chic

Going Green
**Chugs the hootch and hoovers down the oxygen**

Well....we didn't JUST walk in the door when I typed that. I had to gather my wits a bit first.

And pee.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You didn't wet the seat? I would have. Never did understand why Mom told me to wear clean underwear in case I was in an accident.

DammitJanet

GCV...you laugh now! Just wait. Your time is coming.

Stang I so know how you feel. I never taught the other two boys, I guess their dad did plus we live out in a field and they drove our old cars around in it and up and down the dirt driveway. Plus we all know Cory loved to steal cars...lol.

Billy was a whole nother story! Tony tried to teach him way back when he was young to drive one of the old cars in the field and he backed it into a tree! Got confused between the brake and the gas...sigh. That ended the driving lessons for a long time. It was the only tree in the field too...lol.

I was scared to death to drive with him anywhere. As was anyone else once they figured out why I was so scared. They all thought I was just being dumb. Then they rode with him. LOL. I guess he is doing better because he makes it where he is going and home again every day. I just pray a whole lot.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
GCV...you laugh now! Just wait. Your time is coming.

Ooooh NOOOO it's not! :nonono: I already told difficult child 1 to FORGET about asking me to rush out next spring to get him his permit when he's 15 1/2. He has to have no grade below a C and he has to cough up some of the insurance money for that to happen... and I'm sure hell has to freeze over, too. :devil:

DammitJanet

My rule for my boys to get their DL's when they were teens was B average so they could get the good grade discount on insurance, part time job to help with insurance cost and reasonable behavior. HA! As if...lol. Not a one of them took me up on that so I never got them so much as a learners permit before age 18...lol.

Say it with me now...Not my problem!

eekysign

I have no idea how you guys do it. Sis has another year before she's up for her driving days. I don't know how my parents ever managed to teach me. The whole concept is terrifying.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Gcvmom! Watch out! difficult child 1 was a lousy student. I told him he could have my $2,800.00 laptop (you know, when we still had money, BEFORE husband RETIRED EARLY) if he could maintain his grades at a C level. Boy was I surprised that year....

DammitJanet

I dont know how my parents let me loose on the road either. When I look back on what I was allowed to do I just shudder! I got my learners permit at 15 and 8 months which was the exact day I was eligible. My parents paid for me to take the drivers ed at AAA because the school was so backed up that I would have never gotten in on time so I could get my actual DL by my 16th birthday. I got the DL on my 16th birthday...yes the exact day...lol. So did my best friend who has my same birthday...lol. We also both had cars. YIKES!

We were both allowed to drive wherever we wanted. That meant in town, in the city (Richmond VA), down to VA Beach. I drove to Difficult Child when I was 16. I drove to FL when I was 16. I drove to Cape Cod when I was 17. I drove into the mountains of VA whenever I wanted. Oh my god...I would have never let my boys do what I was allowed to do! Heck...I even flew a plane back then...lmao.

KTMom91

Though I was worried about Miss KT having a license, I was more worried about turning her loose on an unsuspecting population without any training. Knock on wood, she hasn't had tickets or an accident, not counting the time she took out the stop sign on the corner with the pickup. That one doesn't count because she still had her permit.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Mstang,
I think I need that drink too. easy child has had her temps about a week. Too tired to tell the whole story right now, lets just say husband will be driving with her for the time being!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
*Passes the crock of Alabama Hootch*

Want the oxygen too?

Oh and husband....nearly got smacked. He got home from work and said "So...you had fun driving with difficult child today, huh?"

Andy

Driver's permits - one of the very hardest tests for Warrior Moms to pass.

I am so proud of you! As a bit of friendly advice...... Take the Valium (or 7) BEFORE you take him out again.

Yep, I know you will take him out again- he has a way of knowing where your weak spots are and will have you in the car and down the road before you get a chance to think.

Good luck. And better slowing down too early than too late or not at all.

trinityroyal

Stang, you're a braver woman than I am. GOSH!

The rule in my house right now is that difficult child can get his driver's license when Little easy child is old enough to get his. That means I have another 8 1/2 years to go before I have to face this (fingers crossed that no one changes their minds between now and then).

In the meantime, difficult child has started studying the Driver's Ed handbook, so that he can be ready for the written test that he'll be taking when he's...28. Sigh.