QUICK!!! Someone give me a drink!

DammitJanet

Trinity....lol...that is when Billy got his license so dont feel so bad. 28 isnt a bad age at all! I feel much better about having him on the road now...lol.

Yes 'Stang, they need insurance. As long as they only have a permit, you dont need to add them to your insurance (at least here) but when they get their license they need insurance and all rates skyrocket. I made mine get their own insurance. Now from what I just found out when Billy got his insurance - and I am hoping the insurance guy didnt flat out lie to me - I got an insurance policy with Billy seperate from my own regular insurance policy and it made his policy cheaper because I have a perfect driving record. He told me that even if Billy messes up it wont effect my other policy and I think that is true because my rates always go on my record.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Re insurance.....he get's his license, he's going to need a job. husband is planning on "selling" him our old Jeep. I don't think husband is going to make him pay what his asking price would be if he was selling in on the market but there will be at least a reasonable token asking price. And since the vehicle will be in his name....he can get insurance in his name. I want my name NOOOOOWHERE near any vehicle or insurance policy! LOL

I also texted my mom yesterday and told her what I did. I got THREE phone calls last night from the hag. She just couldn't contain her evil glee and had to call repeatedly to gloat.

trinityroyal

Trinity....lol...that is when Billy got his license so dont feel so bad. 28 isnt a bad age at all! I feel much better about having him on the road now...lol.

LOL. Janet, I'm not feeling bad about difficult child having to wait so long. My preference would be for him to wait until, say, 40 or 45...or perhaps just skip it altogether.

I took difficult child out onto the Go Kart track a few years ago when he turned 16, just to get a feel for what he might be like on the road. He ran me and several others off the track, kept cutting people off, and swerved like he was drawing a scalloped border. Eventually the track monitor benched him for the duration of the ride.

After that I realized that he probably wasn't ready for the mean streets of Toronto. :surprise:

Stang, I'm still mighty impressed that you took your difficult child driving and didn't pass out!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Gcvmom! Watch out! difficult child 1 was a lousy student. I told him he could have my $2,800.00 laptop (you know, when we still had money, BEFORE husband RETIRED EARLY) if he could maintain his grades at a C level. Boy was I surprised that year....

Won't happen. We offered to buy him a laptop last quarter if he kept his grades in the A and B range. Toooo long of goal for him to maintain. He really is just too immature, and I have told him as much recently with all the screw-ups he's pulled this summer.

So I raise my glass in salute to all of you who have been there done that, and those of you just beginning this baptism by fire with youre difficult children!!! :wine: Rotsa Ruck!

DammitJanet

No No No....Rotsa Rodka Caused a major wreck in NY about two weeks ago! Drunk woman got in her minivan, 5 kids drove up the freeway the wrong way head on into another vehicle and killed three guys in the other vehicle and all but one little boy in the minivan.

No Rodka!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Then how will difficult child drive? Without keys I mean? And what if you have to drive back?

Send husband out with him. It's easier.

susiestar

Roll With It
I must confess I thought my parents were off their rockers when they wanted me to go sign for Wiz to take the tests. I even told Wiz that I was not sure if he was mature enough.

Of course I knew that if I phrased it that way he would go out of his way to prove that he could be mature enough.

Even though he did not really want the hassle of the tests or a license. he figures my mom will make him run a lot of errands. Which she will. The year I got my license I also inherited most of the grocery shopping (which I still enjoy doing, I am strange, I know), all trips to the cleaners for dry cleaning, my own braces appointment, and so many more errands. Even had to cancel class a couple of times for my mom when she had a migraine. It was my payment for being allowed to drive.

So far Wiz did fine in driver's ed. he even passed the written test his first time. Then he didn't want to drive, wanted to be chauffered. He passed on rides for almsot 2 years in favor of walking around on foot. If he was walking he could change where he was going. If he got rides he went to the destination and then home. Often on errands on the way to or from his activities.

I will say that all of this drama has passed me up on round one. And Wiz still hasn't taken the driving test so now, at almost 18, my dad and mom have been FORCING him to drive. Dad even took him out of town for a long weekend to get more driving time in!! (then when my mom planned to be out of town for a week all my dad did was sleep - and he promised my mom that he would take Wiz driving to get ready for the test!).

So now I don't hear about the driving. I still have yet to even be in a car with him!

busywend

Oh yes - driving! I hold onto the OH **** handle all the time. difficult child laughs at me.

I tried the grades, job, etc. incentives. Then I realized she was NEVER going to get her license if I held to that. So, now she can get it and never be able to drive if she has no money. No job, no money. It is hard to get them independant when they make no efforts to get there!