Quickbooks invoice question?

witzend

I did what I wanted to with an invoice at work today, then before I could print it, I decided to tweak it, then couldn't make it work again. Here's the deal, and I would be very grateful to anyone who would give me some insight...

We have an estimate for 4 x's at $100 each. We have completed 2 of them, and I want to send a progress invoice, showing that the two have been completed and invoiced so that the invoice shows $400 with only $200 currently due. I made it work, then poof, I spent two hours trying to recover it.

I have the estimate, I've tried creating an invoice using 100%, then changing it to 50% in the invoice, which changes it to only two items and an overall total of two items for $200, period. I've tried creating it at full value, same thing. I can't get the "prior # of items" or "prior % completed" to show, so my totals are always $200 of $200.

I'm going nuts! How did I do it before? The only thing I can figure is that I need to do it from a pending invoice. But I'm too flustered and tired to figure it out.

LittleDudesMom

witz, we don't do progress invoices as we bill when the job is complete but, have you tried total amount, then 25% and 25%? It appears the issue is using 50% because if you wanted to progress bill again after the third 100, that wouldn't be divisible by 50, but it would by 25. Wish I was at our office so I could fire up quickbooks and play with it!

Sharon

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
That QB is just too smart for it's own good!

I use QB daily and we've been creating the same invoice for almost 15 years and it's never a progress. However, H creates progress invoices at home and I will think on it. At this moment, I cannot recall how we do it to make it work, but it's difficult for me to figure out if I'm not looking at it on the screen, Know what I mean??

Hopefully someone else will come along and totally understand and figure it out for you!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm not sure which version of QB you have -----but

If you create an estimate in the version I have----BEFORE you close out the estimate if you go to up to the top and click on CREATE AN INVOICE and give the invoice a number, a box will automatically pop up to do a progressive percentage invoice. It will then ask you three progressive percentage questions. From there you can type in the percentage of the job done and it will create the invoice for you based on the work completed.

Is this what you are asking for?

witzend

See, I saw that thing about the box popping up, too. And it doesn't pop up on our version - 2007. I do have the company settings set do progress invoices. And once you create the invoice there is an icon for progressing, but, again, it only lets me give a total bill for the 50%.

LDM, I have a recent copy of the books here at home, so I'll try the 25% thing and see if it works. Also, I'll try it with a "pending" invoice rather than a "final" invoice.

You just know that this is going to be some sort of simple "you didn't check this box in the 14th screen" thing. I hate that it's so user unfriendly!

Star*

call 911........call 911
This is a long shot but could you create a COST item that is 25% the cost of the actual item? Then put in a footnote? What version do you have.

witzend

I have Pro 2007. I don't want a footnote, though. This is for a major manufacturer with a 78 page contract as to how to be billed. It has to have total cost and current billing.