Quite frustrated...

tiredmommy

with husband tonight. Our kitchen sink has been draining a bit slow, but it has been emptying. So he was going to clear the pipes with with some strong drain cleaner. It didn't work. Now it's completely plugged. On a holiday weekend. :hammer:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I have a drain auger that works great for clogs... it's like a metal cable that you snake down the drain. I bought mine for a clogged toilet. Much cheaper than a call to a plumber. Maybe the local home center has one?

I'd be frustrated with the man, too.

susiestar

Roll With It
If you can't find an auger to use, take a pipe wrench and try to clean out the trap below the drain. Use a wet/dry vac to slurp the water out of the sink, but be sure to also have a bucket down below.

Every plumber I have ever spoken to says to NOT use the drain cleaner chemicals. They can clear a mild clog, but they do it by gluing the gunk to the sides of the pipe which makes it far more likely to clog in the future. They are also very hard on the pipes. The auger is teh best way to approach a clog. Taking the drain apart and cleaning the pipes or replacing them is also a good solution.

I have a drain to clean out in my bathroom. Somehow the sink stopper is fastened into place and I can't get the auger thing in. It gets huge hair clogs.

Walmart has a $2 disposable tool that is made out of white plastic. It has teeth sticking out either side and it is made to go into drains like mine. It grabs the hair and other ick that clogs the pipe. You just thread it down in, wiggle in a bit and then yank it out - usually with a bunch if icky goo with it. It has been a good solution several times for us.

Lothlorien

husband uses an auger or will take the pipes apart, but if your husband isn't all that handy, I would suggest a plumber, but on a holiday, the price of that is going to be pretty steep.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I've had 2 plumbers in my home a lot over the last 2 months ~ they advised me to not pay the price of the high end drain cleaners.

Use bleach - yup, bleach. Pour down a quart of bleach, let it work for 15 minutes or so & follow by hot water. Do this twice; if that doesn't work you need the auger (or maybe a plumber).

Unclogging a toilet takes some dishwashing liquid followed by a half gallon of hot water. Let sit for 20 minutes or so & plunge. The most we've had to do this is twice - once usually works.

tiredmommy

Thanks ladies. My marriage may not survive the weekend... or one of us may be dead. I had to run out to buy a new pipe for under the sink (let's not talk about it :mad: ). He bought an auger. He ran the auger from the sink to the basement for about twenty feet. It's draining, but still a lot slower than before he started yesterday. He says he will auger out to the main line tomorrow. :hammer: