Quitting smoking - wish me luck!

mattsmom27

I've seen several members through the years here on the board be successful quitting smoking. Gosh I hope I can join those ranks.

difficult child took up smoking while he was living with his father, right before his 13th birthday! *GRRRRRRRR* But then how the heck can I judge when he saw me smoke every day of his life??? So I've been gearing up for a while to quit, not only for myself but also to help difficult child stop and be a positive role model for smoke free living. It is extremelly tough for me as I started smoking at age 15 and have been a pack a day smoker since. I did successfully quit for 3 months after my gastric bypass in 2004, but started up again when my mother started spending alot of time at my house and though she'd smoke outside, I could smell it on her and I caved in.

Unfortunatly, where I live we can buy cigs super cheap from the nearby native reserve, so even the high cost of cigs hasnt' impacted me to help lend motivation to quit. It is actually cheaper by half to smoke for a week as it is to buy the patch etc for a week.

Well I signed up for a stop smoking campaign/program today over the telephone. I set my quit date on the phone with them for April 23rd, and they are mailing me for free 6 weeks worth of the nicotine patches. The patch is what helped me successfully quit for those 3 months, so I know they work for me when I'm motivated to stop. I was so excited to learn of this program that I phoned my cousin and left her a message in case she is interested.

I made sure I told easy child right away that I was quitting when this package arrives within the next 14 days. She HATES that I smoke. She gave me the biggest hug and told me she loved me. How is THAT for motivation?

So I plan to start altering some behaviours until my patches arrive such as not smoking at typical times, cutting down, not smoking while drinking coffee/tea, waiting at least 45 minutes after a meal, etc. Pretty much goign to try to wean myself off ahead of time of the times that I typically REALLY want a smoke. Thankfully since it's been on my mind for a while now to do this seriously, I have broken the habit of taking smokes with me when I leave the house. So if I'm out shopping etc for several hours, I don't think of smokes anymore because I am now used to only smoking at home.

I am concentrating on having a home that doesnt' stink of cigs, having fresh smelling hair and clothes, etc. I am going to make an appointment tomorrow for the 23rd for a company to come steam clean all of my carpets in the house and my sofas etc. I plan to spend that first week washing all bedding, airing pillows, having drapes cleaned etc. I'm even going to stop being cheap and have my entire bedding set in my room dry cleaned, as it needs it anyhow but it is very pricey since it is a king size duvet, shams, skirt, drapes etc that are all dry clean only. I think that will help with keeping me busy and getting the smoke residue on alot of surfaces gone quickly. I guess I'll be washing walls etc too as I'm determined to get my house smoke odor free.

Anyhow all, please wish me luck. This is the most motivated I have ever been and I really need for this to stick.

Melissa
PS. If anyone else is in Ontario Canada and wants the free patches, or knows others in Ontario who might like the offer, please feel free to PM me and I will give you the toll free number. The requirements are that you are over 18 and a resident of Ontario. It only takes about 10 minutes of answering questions in this call, and within 2 weeks you are gauranteed to have 6 weeks worth of the patch Express Posted to you. They also have no problem with more than one person in same household signing up for the offer, it just requires each household member to call seperatly to request them.

everywoman

I quit in Jan. Started back in March when difficult child came home. I just got the new pill from the doctor today and am trying again.

busywend

Nov 25th and never looked back! I feel soooo much better and smell better, too!

Love that I am no longer a smoker!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
http://www.quitmeter.com

This was a real motivator for me. Sometimes I consulted it every 10 minutes! lol

Melissa, remember that you won't be on the patch forever so even if it was a monetary decision, it was a short-term commitment. Smoking costs are longterm- not to mention healthcare and all of the other reasons we "know" we should quit.

Good luck to you!

Suz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm wishing you all of the luck in the world.

My brother managed to quit just by conciously putting off having a cigarette. Sounds weird. But eventually he put it off for hours, then only 1 or 2 a day, then just stopped. He has to keep a unopened pack around as a security blanket. Last time he tried to toss it he went into severe anxiety attacks. He's been smoke free since Nov.

I'm hoping to try that pill as soon as we have insurance again. I've tried every other method out there. I hope it works for me.

Hugs

crazymama30

I still smoke 3 cigs a day, sometimes I do not have any. I need to just quit, but I seem to be stuck in this pattern. I usually have them all in the morning, and none the rest of the day. Anyone care to explain?

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>I smoked a bit in college, but never got into the habit. I would occasionally crave one, but after my kids were born I didn't give in. Now I can't stand the smell. Hope you can quit the habit, I know it's not easy, but you will be healthier without them......Good Luck!</span>

:hypnosis:You will not smoke....you will not smoke....you will not......

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Good luck, Melissa! I am in a similar situation but no patches. Have been trying to change my habits and cut down, leave smokes at home when I go out, etc.

Today is the 3rd anniversary of my mom's death from cancer.

I am going to give a smoke-free day a try tomorrow! See what happens.

I'll be thinking of you!

Crazymama - if I could get to 3 smokes a day, I'd be thrilled! Don't be too hard on yourself, you should be very proud! Theory about only smoking in the morning? It may be that's a high-stress time for you, and your body craves the nicotine most at those times. Just my thoughts.

Peace

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
crazymama, I smoke about one a day, sometimes only 4-5 a week. I throw out my unused packs and then regret it and go buy another. I find that at the end of the day, on my way home from work is when I like mine best. It's like a relief at day's end.

I did stop for almost 3 months but then picked it up again at a social event - that's my pitfall.

Melissa, I will be keeping you in my thoughts. Resisting one at a time is what worked for me. I was never a real bad smoker, but when I quit successfully, taking it one cigarette at a time worked well. Best of luck.