Quotes :O)

scent of cedar

You all know I am big on quotes. I wondered whether you would be willing to share quotations that have meant something to you. They don't always have to be profound, or even especially meaningful. Laughter is good for us, too.

I will start us out.

"Sometimes I laugh so hard, the tears run down my leg." :O)

I don't know who it was who said this, first.

Barbara

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I love quotes too Barbara, here are just a few..........

"And the day came when the risk to stay tight in a bud was more painful then the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

"If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams and endeavors to live the life one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." H. D. Thoreau

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." R. W. Emerson

SuZir

"I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." - Oscar Wilde

“It is often easier to fight for principles than to live up to them.” - Adlai E. Stevenson

"There are three ways to get something done: do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it." - Monta Crane

"Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been." - John Greenleaf Whittier

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus

“For all that has been, Thanks. To all that shall be, Yes.” - Dag Hammarskjöld

helpangel

"It's amazing how low we will go to get high"

"today is the day I worried about yesterday"

"anything with teeth can and probably will bite you"

wish I could remember who said them... all true when I think about it

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I could fill a book!

An apple a day can keep anyone away... Depends on how good your aim is. - Maxine

If life is a bowl of cherries, why am i in the pits? - Erma Bombeck

trinityroyal

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. - Albert Einstein

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -- Douglas Adams

It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. -- Douglas Adams

recoveringenabler

Staff member
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." A. Einstein

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." A. Einstein

"You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war." A. Einstein

and one of my favorites.........."The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." A. Einstein

InsaneCdn

No idea what the sources are... If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over? Choose in haste, repent at leisure.

nerfherder

"An ugly patch is better than a pretty hole" - my grandmother

To me, we have been children, playing on the shore, picking up pretty pebbles from the beach... while there beside us lay an ocean, wide with undiscovered truth." ...Sir Isaac Newton

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We're all mad here.
Cheshire Cat

No one's been probed... Yet.
Sgt Wu, Grimm

The truth is out there.
The X-Files tagline

Six impossible things before breakfast...
Alice (this is the motto of all parents of difficult children)

DammitJanet

I have a few.

Sometimes parenting seems like feeding the hand that bites you.

All it takes for evil to succeed is for a few good men to do nothing.

scent of cedar

No one is listening. Now you may sing
the self-song.
As the bird does--not for territory
or dominance
but for self-enlargement.
Let something
come from nothing.

~ Stan Rice

Poetry, like consciousness...drops
the insignificant digits.

~ Bill Ransom
The Jesus Incident

That which, deprived of daylight
worships in the night.

~ Bradshaw

There was a time, oh tender elf
when you were poetry, itself.

~ Bradshaw

There was a time when you were not a slave. Remember that. You walked alone, full of laughter; you bathed bare-bellied. You say you have lost all recollection of it--remember. You know how to avoid meeting a bear on the track. You know the winter fear when you can hear the wolves gathering. But you can remain seated for hours in treetops to await morning. You say there are no words to describe this time; you say it does not exist. But remember. Make an effort to remember.

Or, failing that, invent.

~ Monique Wittig
Les Guerilleres

Seboulissa, mother-goddess with one breast
eaten away by worms of sorrow and loss...
See me, now.
Your severed daughter
laughing our name into echo
all the world shall remember.

~ Audre Lourde

Perhaps the phoenix cries
as it burns.

~ Charles Williams
Descent Into Hell

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get.

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

-Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

Dixies_fire

Haozi- love that book and love that man all of my favorites come from him

'People who claim that they're evil are usually no worse than the rest of us... It's people who claim that they're good, or any way better than the rest of us, that you have to be wary of.'
― Gregory Maguire, Wicked

'And of the Witch? In the life of a Witch, there is no "after", in the "ever after" of a Witch there is no "happily"; in the story of a Witch, there is no afterword. Of that part that is beyond the life story, beyond the story of the life, there is-alas, or perhaps thank mercy-no telling. She was dead, dead, and gone, and all that was left of her was the carapace of her reputation for malice.' -wicked

Calamity Jane

RE,
No joke, that's what I told difficult child's first therapist, when the therapist thought he had difficult child all figured out after 45 min.!

How about this other one from Jaws, when Quint (Robert Shaw) is looking at Richard Dreyfus haul the shark cage onto the boat:
"You go in the cage?
Cage goes in the water?
Shark's in the water?
...farewell and adieu to you dear Spanish ladies, farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain..."

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh, thanks, I see the context clearly with the therapist, perfect thing to say to him/her............

There were some great lines in that movie, I remember it so well. Richard Dreyfus and Robert Shaw were perfect opponents......